Which Call of Duty is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by 6079SmithW, Sep 26, 2010.

?

Which COD is your favorite one?

1. Call of Duty 1

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Call of Duty 2

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Call of Duty 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Call of Duty 4 (Modern Warfare)

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  5. Call of Duty 5 (World at War)

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Call of Duty 6 (Modern Warfare 2)

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  7. Call of Duty 7 (Black Ops)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Unless World At War is *really* shitty, it's the worst of the series - there's some really fucking annoying invisible walls to prevent you from outflanking MG nests and so on.

2. Lonemagpie

No, they're the first console COD games, but they're not ports of the PC games - that's why they have separate titles.

And the console version of COD 2 is.... COD 2.

Yes, they're different games.

No, they're different games...

3. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those two console only games sucked the big red one though... I can't fathom why anyone would have Finest Hour as their favorite. I can only imagine that you're a console gamer through and through and started on it or something because it's not even in the same universe of the standard of quality set by 'infinity ward shit'

4. Lonemagpie

Fuck me, somebody likes something you don't? It shouldn't be allowed... And COD 3 was done by Treyarch, not Infinity Ward.

Nah, I started as a PC gamer, but now pretty much play on the consoles because I have laptops instead of desktop PCs, and just can't use the touchpads as game controls. Mouse and keyboard all the way.

Finest Hour happens to have what I consider the best mix of settings, and characters who're recognizably based on specific historical folks - Tanya Chernova, for example.

5. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is also a console version of COD1, that's available on PSN and Xbox Live.

6. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Good grief, that does sound terrible.

7. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's also a whole bunch of mobile phone CoD games and I think at least one on Nintendo DS. And let's not forget the Wii port of Modern Warfare which was slightly different and had a different name!

Yes, CoD3 sucked, as did WaW, though at least Treyarch can manage to make multiplayer entertaining most of the time.

But Finest Hour over CoD1 or CoD2 is just silly. It's like preferring Terminator 3 to Terminator 2. It's like saying Voyager is the best Star Trek series, or that the Star Wars prequels are better than the original or.... or.... ahh forget it.

Finest Hour was just an utterly forgettable generic console shooter with the CoD name slapped on it.

8. Lonemagpie

I know people who do. They're wrong, obviously, but they do.

TPM is better than ROTJ...

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the full list would seem to run

CoD1
    CoD: United Offensive
    CoD: Finest Hour
    CoD2: Big Red One
    CoD2
    CoD3
    CoD: Roads to Victory (PSP game with a Canadian campaign)
    CoD4: Modern Warfare
    CoD: Modern Warfare Mobilised (DS game follows MW1)
    CoD: World at War
    CoD: WAW: Final Fronts (seperate PS2 version with a Brit campaign, no Russian campaign and 2 US ones)
    CoD: MW2
    CoD: MW2 Force Recon (mobile game with a story set in Mexico)

and then Black Ops.

and if you wanna be really persnickity, the DS versions of MW1 and WaW are different too...

10. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow that's a big list! I'm a console-only player (actually XBox 360-only) so I didn't know. Maybe we should forget the poll and everyone just writes about their favorite COD.

As to the suckiness of some CODs I got WAW when it first came out and had been playing MW the day before. When I first played it I was like, "I payed $60 for THIS?!" The graphics were terrible compared to MW and the multiplayer was a rehash of MW with maps that were f***ing huge! In and of itself WAW is a fun game to play on campaign but when compared to MW 1 and 2 it just blows. I'm afraid that this is what's going to happen with Black Ops as Treyarch is making it.

I will give WAW this: It is very gory. If you go to the game settings and turn the blood all the way up you get people bleeding profusely, blood splattering everywhere, limbs, heads, and torsos getting shot off/blown off.

11. Servo

I'm pretty convinced that you, along with a lot of other people, are looking at Modern Warfare through rose-tinted glasses. I just spent the weekend getting the 1000G on it, so it's fresh in my head, and there's no way the graphics are better than WaW. If anything, they're about the same. A lot of people even called WaW a "re-skinned CoD4", seeing as they both use the same engine.

The Treyarch bashing would be funny if it hadn't gotten so old. WaW was a solid game, both campaign-wise and online. The only thing that let it down was the OTT grenade spam on Veteran. The only reason people bitch about it is cause they have a corn-cob up their arse about WW2 games, they kept getting owned by MP40's but weren't smart enough to figure out a decent counter, and finally because it wasn't Modern Warfare. Boohoo.

12. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

I haven't played the first two, but i'd say Modern Warfare.

13. 6079SmithW

Well like I said I got WAW as soon as it came out and to me, having literally been playing MW the day before I bought it, the graphics seemed slightly worse in comparison.

I don't have anything against WW II games and I find the campaign to be quite fun. In fact WAW is the only WW II game I own.

I found the multiplayer to be so-so. The perks were all carried over from MW and the new ones weren't really worth anything, IMO. I found the larger maps (like Seelow Heights) to be annoying when playing team deathmatch but the smaller maps were great. Castle used to be my favorite until everyone started doing the under-the-map glitch.

I had no problems with MP-40s but I never really used them. I always used the thompson or SVT-40.

I appreciate Treyarch putting the player in actual historical scenarios. IWs modern warfares are "in the near future" which is OK but its nice to feel like you are participating in history with Treyarch.

14. Servo

I don't see it. At worse they're about the same.

If they'd have changed the perks, they'd have been accused of fixing something that wasn't broken. As it is, they kept some of them and got accused of a lack of originality.

I never had a problem with it. Seelow was a decent map, especially on Ground War.

15. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

For MP, CoD1. I loved the bigger maps, whereas the maps in subsequent CoD2 games have felt comparatively claustraphobic.

For SP... it's a toss up between MW1 and MW2. The problem with MW1 is that I can't remember anything after the nuke, while in MW2 you have the annoying Favela level.

16. 6079SmithW

Never thought of it like that. I guess it is a catch-22, isn't it? Maybe I judged the multiplayer a bit too harshly. I'll admit the only perks I ever used (for either COD 4 or 5) were Stopping Power and Deep Impact, so new perks wouldn't really matter to me. Actually it would probably be best if there were no perks at all cause everyone bitches about them, especially juggernaught, martyrdom, and last stand.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Got to agree, WAW has the best online for me in the COD universe because the perks feel less stupid for osme reason and I can't remember if they made any changes or tweaks. The weapons feel more balanced and most of the maps seem to be designed better in terms of not being small linear things that are bottlenecks for Heli's/Air strikes and co. Also the SP is longer than the MW ones though lacks the same punch as MW. The dogs are a little annoying but one can live with that ;)

^ Hardcore mode is much better than in WAW than in MW 2 as well, that mode seemed so off in MW2, I could never figure out why

18. Servo

You're gonna get people bitching no matter what. In fact, I remember when WaW was announced, and a large portion of the gaming community had decided they hated it, just because it was set in WW2 again.
    The perks are fine in and of themselves, but you're always gonna get people who find a way to make cheap and annoying loadouts - just look at the Marathon/Lightweight/Commando combo on MW2, it's annoying as hell when people just run around the map at top speed knifing people, but there are ways of dealing with it rather than condemning the whole game because of it.

Dogs are a double-edged sword. Sure, they can be a bit annoying when you're on the recieving end, but they're also awesome when they're yours and they're tearing up the map. I think a lot of people who really complain about Dogs are the ones who struggled to get a 7 kill streak.

Hardcore on WaW had its share of problems too. Team killing was a big one. You get idiots who come into games solely to throw a grenade at the start of a game and blow up most of the team. It also gets annoying when you get booted from a game because people keep running in front of you while you're firing.
    I know devs want to make the game more realistic by having friendly fire on, but sometimes its to the detriment of the online experience. Ricochet was a great idea, and I hope Black Ops makes good use of that.

19. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I'm not a big fan of the CoD series. Probably because I'm not a big Multiplayer fan. For me CoD2 was the one I enjoyed most, CoD3 the least. Mordern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 are games I keep thinking of picking up cheap to complete the single player but never get around to.

20. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CoD4
    WaW
    CoD2
    MW2

In that order.