Where oh where are the Klingons

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by adamisme, Jan 14, 2022.

1. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

they've become a comic prop on Lower Decks where they belong.

seigezunt likes this.
  2. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest it would be a good idea. But it feels possible.

3. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

There's a scene with Worf and Kurn in a pub during the civil war that is more Lower Decks than Lower Decks.

It's like the background extras were lifted straight out Pirates of Penzance.

XCV330 likes this.
  4. the Sisko

the Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I can see where the Klingon empire didn't survive. The destruction of Romulus seems to be a larger event than one supernova/system (because otherwise, its barely believable that the major power that was the least damaged by the dominion war would lose the ability to survive losing a single star system as in ST'09). If the destruction was wider (lets say trilithium stores (with weapons like in ST:Generations) being detonated, causing quickening live-cycles/mass supernovas across the beta quadrant), it could see the Klingon's bearing the brunt of the damage. Its inconceivable that the Federation/Klingon alliance was intact while starfleet built an armada for romulan civilian rescue.

Next is the burn. ST:TUC showed that Klingons are willing to do heavy mining extremely close to population centers while the Federation (in what little industry is shown) keeps its planetary industrial centers away from class M planets (Mars, Jupiter). It's quite possible that the dilithium mining and use on a planetary scale caused destruction of major population centers, transforming planets into, best case, what was seen in Discovery S3E02

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Klingons are where they're most important. In your heart.

I mean their teeth are in your heart.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it's unlikely that the Romulan supernova would only affect the Romulan solar system. But setting that aside -- is it really so hard to imagine that the loss of the imperial center would cause an empire to splinter? It's not like this is a decentralized polity; it's a literal empire.

I don't agree with that at all, especially with Martok as Chancellor. I could easily see the Klingons deciding that there was no honor in allowing billions of innocent civilians to die. For all we know, the Klingons might have considered the Federation decision to withdraw aid to be deeply dishonorable.

I don't think it's likely a supernova in the heart of Romulan space would affect the Qo'noS system.

Markonian and Commander Troi like this.
  7. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

The Klingons as we know them no longer exist. The entire species migrated to the Delta Quadrant and merged with the Kazons. The two species are now the Klazons.

8. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Despite the fact Disco had the Klingons in S1 as the 'enemy'... it would have been nice to at least gotten a 'mention' as to what happened to them by the 32nd century.
    It would take all of 11 to 20 seconds really.

Jarvisimo likes this.
  9. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

They're probably keeping their options open and keeping people curious. If they tell us what's happened to the Klingons now then that limits future stories slightly and no one will be wondering about it anymore.

Markonian, Commander Troi and Ketrick like this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plus there is no need to revisit the Klingons. Leaving them alone is just fine by me. In fact, it would allow them to try and be more creative rather than going back to the familiar.

11. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I've got to say, never in a million years did I think that in the 32nd Century
    we'd see Changelings before we saw Klingons.

Congratulations to the DSC Writers for surprising me like that.

13. fireproof78

I hope it continues.

14. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I don't.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It has been an absolute pleasure not to have any Klingons around for a change.

[​IMG]

17. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

While I get and agree that Klingons have been overused, their absence and lack of a name drop in the 32nd after nearly two seasons is jarring and conspicuous.

Jarvisimo likes this.
  18. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

Their Augment experience introduced a mutation which rendered them all sterile after twenty generations. Pure blooded Klingons only exist in song and literature now.

My head canon. Subject to change, of course.

19. Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe Commodore Commodore

For me, no more so than a full series of Doctor Who without one mention of the Daleks.

Richard S. Ta and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  20. fireproof78

One is a contractual obligation.

The other is fan expectation.