Where is July's Star Trek book?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JWolf, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The other missing book for 2017, of course, is a MMPB reprint of the "Star Trek Beyond" novelization, which should have happened a year after the hardcover (which never happened... 'cos Alan Dean Foster was supposedly miffed at the many revisions being made to the script).

There were paperback reprints of these for the international market.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STAR-TRE...D-Paperback-1996-SCIENCE-FICTION-LARGER-COPY/

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Insurrection-J-Dillard/dp/0671034537

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

True. But that wasn't a mass-market paperback. That was a deluxe trade paper edition sold at a higher price point.

Speaking of which, Titan Books is currently reprinting all of the original PLANET OF THE APES novelizations (by David Gerrold, Jerry Pournelle, and others) in big omnibus editions, and I believe the plan is to do the novelizations of the TV episodes as well.

More trivia: possibly the most durable novelization of all is Delos Lovelace's 1932 novelization of KING KONG, which tends to get reprinted every time they remake the movie!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most franchises don't do twelve tie-in novels a year. Star Wars only does about six or so (one of them now being a movie novelization) and a lot of other franchises either do less or equal. Even with things cut back as they are this year, there's still more Star Trek novel output than nearly everyone else.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know. :bolian:

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I bought Slings & Arrows when it was part of the anniversary sale last year. I'd still buy a hardcopy omnibus if one was released.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

And the last SCE reprints were not MMPB either. So Pocket could've always have done a trade paperback reprint of all 4 TNG movies (including Generations original hardcover ending) and marketed it for TNG's 30th this year.

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I believe that was part of a line of "Signature Editions" (the conceit was they had a reproduction autograph in them. Fun!) reprinting older, well-regarded books. I know there were other Star Trek ones, like both Imzadi books collected into one TPB, as well as, IIRC, two or three Reeves-Stevens novels put together. I don't recall any non-Star Trek examples, but this is the future and I'm a big boy, so I'll just take the thirty seconds to Google it rather than make the vague, foggy post I started.

Okay, it looks like it was just Star Trek books. The concept was so general, I expected they were doing it for all sorts of novels.

8. Greg Cox

It always confuses me at first when people ask me to autograph the Signature Edition of THE Q CONTINUUM.

"Hang on. Looks like I've already signed this book . . . never mind, that's a fascimile signature. Let me sign it for real."

Sci, Jinn and David cgc like this.
  9. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Black Library currently releases at least two books a month for their Warhammer franchise, but they're an exception. BL is an entire publishing sub-company dedicated to releases based on Games Workshop's intellectual properties, with a dozen staff and editors (not to mention the support structure of a corporation with a worldwide chain of dedicated stores through which to sell the books).
    Plus, being an integral part of the actual license-holder of the source franchise, BL don't have to go through the same kind of lengthy approvals processes as Pocket do with CBS or Del Rey with Lucasfilm, et al.

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

In my calendar, Hidden Universe: Qo'noS is due in July. :bolian:

Ronald Held likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, I was just about to post about that, it comes out a week from today. It actually covers the whole Empire, not just Qo'nos, the cover specifically mentions Praxis, and another moon, and I'm thinking we'll probably get some other planets, like Boreth.

12. Greg Cox

Copies are supposed to be on sale at Shore Leave this weekend.

Ronald Held likes this.
  13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

They did, in the summer of 2009. The idea, if I remember correctly, was simply to have something to put in a trade paperback of the Star Trek movie adaptations. Which they did -- first, a trade paperback of the II/III/IV trilogy adaptations, then in an omnibus of the adaptations for the first six films.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Only the 2003 omnibuses contained facsimile signatures from the authors. The series title continued, presumably because these are books you'd present to authors for signing(?).

A blog entry I did in 2008:
    http://therinofandor.blogspot.com.au/2008/04/star-trek-signature-editions-if-i-ever.html

http://www.startrekcomics.info/idwkhan.html

15. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

According to Amazon UK, Original Sin is now due in October - so looks like they've moved it back to make room for Deperate Hours.

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Picked it up at Chapters tonight! :techman:

Markonian likes this.