Where is July's Star Trek book?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JWolf, Jul 2, 2017.

1. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Why is there not going be a Star Trek book released in July? This makes two months without a Star Trek book in 2017.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the excuse that's been provided many times is that Discovery is being prioritized over everything else in the franchise, and some sacrifices are being made.

Besides, we're being adequately compensated. The end of September has two Trek novels, Original Sin and the Discovery novel. In mid-October there's David Goodman's Captain Picard Autobiography, and at the end of November there's the new Titan novel, and the English reprint of the first Prometheus novel. Plus, add onto that that we're actually getting a new TV show this year, and there's plenty of Star Trek to go around in 2017.

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not disagreeing with The Wormhole, but we could have been getting all that stuff, AND 12 books this year.

It would be awesome if Margaret would at leastgo on Literary Treks or do an interview somewhere and explain exactly what the issue was. From the lack of TOS novels this year, we can assume they were all delayed, similar to the lack of TOS before Star Trek '09. But some official word would be appreciated.

Leto_II likes this.
  4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Pocket are a business, Star Trek books, although nice to have are not, like say clean drinkable water, access to free (at the point of service) health care or adequate shelter from the elements, so phrasing it like that seems really rather silly to me.

Pocket could release six books a year, start over completely, or just stop the line and that would be their right, other than a press release saying as much, the fans aren't really entitled to much more than that. Of course, I suspect many people will disagree with such sentiments.

Mage likes this.
  5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Er, wasn't Enigma Tales just published?

6. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Yes. In mid-June.

Greg Cox likes this.
  7. Sci

Ah, okay. It only just arrived at my Barnes & Nobles on Wednesday, so I assumed it was the July book. (I can never remember if the listed publication month of a Star Trek book is the actual month it arrives in stores or the month immediately following.)

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The book released at the end of a month (eBook last Tuesday of the month, the pBook usually a week or two earlier) is officially the book for the next month. So Enigma Tales is the July book, what @JWolf is talking about is actually the August book, since there is no book listed for the last Tuesday of July.

9. Sci

Thank you for clearing that up.

10. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Presumably it's down to them bringing books forward to cover the gap in January, and then May for the initial debut date(s) for Discovery and Desperate Hours, and reaching August and not having enough notice to bring Original Sin forward to cover the August gap and being required to debut Desperate Hours simultaneously with the shows debut.

11. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

But if you look at the copyright date, it is July's book.

But that doesn't explain why Pocket hasn't scheduled a reprint of the last 6 SCE books or (in light of TNG's 30th anniversary in September) TNG's "Slings and Arrows", or even an anthology of the e-novella's that have been printed for Typhon Pact and DS9. These are books that have been in print in ebook form for a long time now, and it would've made sense for Pocket to have scheduled a physical release to make up for these gaps.

Of course Pocket could've reprinted other books such as the novelizations of "First Contact" and "Insurrection" which never got paperback reprints back in the 90's.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, I can't speak for Pocket Books, but mass-markets reprints of twenty-year-old movie novelizations? I can't imagine pitching that to the sales force.

At this late date, I think that ship has sailed. :)

Enterprise1701 and Allyn Gibson like this.
  13. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Reprints of eBook only releases is worthless for those of us who read eBooks. Also, some have given in and read the eBooks. So the audience for these reprints is rather small.

I concider the July book to be the one released in July.

14. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

IDW thought a comic adaption of a thirty-year-old movie would be worth it. Granted that wasn't a reprint, but nowadays it is probably easier to get a used copy of TWOK instead of buying a comic adaption.

15. Greg Cox

I'm strictly a "dead-tree" guy whose unused Kindle is gathering dust in a closet, but, yeah, I think the market for old backlist titles is mostly electronic these days. Or so the royalty statements for my older titles would suggest . . . :)

As for comics adaptations . . . I don't pretend to have any particular insights into that market.

(IDW did a new adaptation of KHAN? Somehow that flew beneath my radar.)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  16. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm with Mr. Cox. I bought the e-book editions of Mr. Bennett's DTI e-novellas (on my tablet; I don't own a hardware e-reader), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a print omnibus of them in a heartbeat. Ditto for the (so far) e-book only SNW revival. And I've ONLY read SCE novellas in print omnibus editions.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget they also had to delay Kirsten Beyer's next Voyager book after she got hired by Discovery.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They have a trade paperback on Amazon that has the IDW TWOK adaptation and remastered versions of the originalThe Search for Spock and The Voyage Home adaptations.

19. Greg Cox

Thanks. Something to keep an eye out for.

20. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Back in 2003/04 Pocket did reprint Vonda McIntyre's novelizations of Trek's 2, 3, 4 in the trade paperback "Duty, Honor, Redemption".