When did you first become a fan? (Poll)

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by GulBahana, Nov 26, 2021.

?

When did you become a Star Trek Fan?

1. 60s (TOS)

17 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. 70s (TOS Reruns)

40 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. 80s (TOS films TNG)

17 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. 90s (TNG, DS9, Voyager)

57 vote(s)
    40.4%
  5. 00s (Enterprise)

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. 09-16 (Kelvin films)

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. 2017 to Present (Discovery and current shows)

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Been a fan since pretty much the beginning of all things Trek (1966). Wasn't quite 3 when the show aired and yes - watched "The Man Trap" when it first aired. Yes, it actually rather spooked me as a kid but, I came back for more (didn't hurt that my Dad loved Sci Fi).

I hate to bring it up but, did anyone notice how incredibly few people chose the Kelvin and current Trek as what hooked them? The entire point of all of the current Trek is to create a new fan base and this poll alone rather proves that Paramount/CBS/Viacom (whatever they want to be called now) have failed rather miserably in that goal.

Not absolute, scientific proof but, still a pretty ugly picture of the truth...

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Fewer than 100 people have voted in the poll, and the majority of Trek fans don't frequent this board, so I don't think the poll is indicative of anything in that regard.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't vote at all. My wife became a fan via Kelvin Trek.

JoaquinSlowly likes this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Bulletin Boards are on the way down. I'm actually surprised this board is still around, to be honest. Going on Facebook or some other Social Media Platform will generate a different answer. This board, I'm sorry to say, is very insular. It's more a community of ex-fans who are here out of habit than active fans. (They're not even reporting Star Trek News anymore. Yes, I went there.) So I wouldn't go by this board as a scientific measure of anything.

But at the same time, if I wasn't already a Star Trek Fan, there's no way I would've subscribed to CBSAA back in 2017.

Regardless, DSC has enough people watching that they decided to make four more shows to pad out the year. So I'd guess it has the audience it needs in order to keep going.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  5. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

There are a LOT of young people who came into the fandom with either the Abrams movies or Disco. They’re just not on message boards like this one because message boards are the dinosaurs of the internet and most of these new fans never experienced them and don’t care to do so now because they’re young and already used to much faster and more direct ways of social media communication. Check Twitter, Tumblr etc and you’ll get a very different fandom picture.

6. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

1992, "The Squire of Gothos" rerun on German TV, Saturday afternoon. Had seen, but not fully grasped TWOK and some early TNG before. TOS hooked me, and within a year, I had caught up on all of TOS, most of TNG, the movies. The rest is history.

shapeshifter likes this.
  7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Sounds plausible to me. We might as well argue that the new shows are failing because nobody is mimeographing fanzines about them. :)

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now it’s stingy NFTs—pass

9. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

In the late 90's I saw the BOBW of TNG for the first time and I was hooked. At first DS9 was to dark for me, but became my favorite Trek show. TOS is ok, and I don't like Voyager, Enterprise ( I gave that show up after 10 episodes) and Discovery much.

somebuddyX likes this.
  10. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

My parents had taped TWOK and TVH, so I had seen them when I was little and I liked TVH because of the whales, not because it was Star Trek. My dad would tape me TNG episodes around when the sixth season was airing here in Oz and I would hire out the VHS tapes from Video Ezy. You could get things like "Redemption" or "Best of Both Worlds" on one tape, so I waited like three seconds to see how they resolved the cliffhanger to BOBW Part 1. TNG Season 7 and DS9 Season 2 were the first "new" airing Trek I ever watched and I always look fondly back on that time when they were setting up the Maquis and you had people like Gul Evek or Nechayev turning up on different shows.

shapeshifter likes this.
  11. fireproof78

And a lot of costuming sites. I see fans interested because of the creative aspect, not so much the discussion aspect. Youngers don't always look for full on discussion, but the characters, the sensation of it and how it made them feel, to long form fanzine write up.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I occasionally see older STAR WARS fans insisting that "nobody" cares about the new SW characters, then I go to conventions and see plenty of younger fans cosplaying as Rey, Kylo, etc. Makes me wonder sometimes when was the last time some of those curmudgeons actually attended a large con attended by fans younger than them. Or even hung out with fans of later generations in person. :)

Jinn, nightwind1, MrPicard and 4 others like this.
  13. GulBahana

GulBahana Commander Red Shirt

Most people who are likely to visit these old message boards are older fans. I would guess the younger fans prefer to chat on social media, but I may be wrong. CBS must be getting a good amount of subscribers to watch the new shows or they would not keep making them.

nightwind1, JoaquinSlowly and Danja like this.
  14. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

*** raises hand ***

I like Prodigy and Picard (and I date back to Voyager!) :)

15. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Holy crap, I was at that convention. My first con. I was 17. I remember seeing Harlan Ellison, and buying Marshak & Culbreath's "Price of the Phoenix" from them personally in the huckster room. I still have that signed copy around here somewhere...

I have a memory of telling the story of having a memory of watching the first episode when it aired in 1966. I would've been 6 1/2. So, I claim that I've been a fan of Star Trek since there was a Star Trek to be a fan of. Then I watched the re-runs after school, and watched the animated series on Saturday mornings when I was 13-14. By then I was taping the episodes on audio cassette, and only threw away those cassettes maybe 10 years ago. :guffaw:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  16. Jay Kid of Wonders

Jay Kid of Wonders Ensign Red Shirt

Star Trek 09, that’s why I still hold the kelvin timeline in such high regard.

nightwind1 likes this.
  17. fireproof78

Yes. They just are not all on bulletin board systems.

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Damn kids, with their Twirping and their Bitcoins...

:scream:

nightwind1 and DonIago like this.
  19. There Be Whales Here

There Be Whales Here Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My answer: 70's (TOS Reruns). Which kind of dates me.

Being born during the 3rd season of TOS, my first exposure was later on once it started airing in syndication in the 70's. Though I don't remember the exact age I started watching religiously, but my Godmother was a fan and had one of the original AMT Enterprise models prominently displayed in her home. I remember finding it intriguing every time I visited and we started having conversations about the show, which I then started making sure I saw every time it was aired on a local station (which fortunately back then it seemed like it was usually always on). At that point I was pretty much hooked with my interest in sci-fi in general blossoming as well.

Not being satisfied with waiting till episodes were aired again I began to tape them with an audio recorder so I could listen to them later and could remember whole lines of some of my more favorite episodes. I even bought my own Enterprise model so I could look at it all the time, though I went through at least three of them due to their inherent nacelle flaw. I was in seventh heaven when I saw the original Technical Manual in a bookstore and convinced my parents to buy it and while some may consider that book non-canon, I really don't care, as back in the lean days, one had to take every limited fresh take on the Trek universe one could get. While I admittedly wasn't one of the first in line when TMP came out, I was pretty close within the first week of release. Later on, after we got our first VCR, I started recording episodes to watch whenever I wanted and must have worn out the used Beta tape of TMP I bought; not even caring how terrible the movie would seem later on. Back then it was pure Trek Gold. The later movies along with the debut of TNG only reinforced my passion with the added bonus of much, much more material, whether official or not, being released during those times.

My only regret in those days is in not convincing my parents to let me attend a Trek convention as back then and right up to maybe the TNG days, it was still all about the show and Trek universe almost exclusively, while in modern times Star Trek and even sci-fi in general has been rolled into the superhero, comic book & anime set with nary a Vulcan ear in sight.

20. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

1968 1st rerun of Who Mourns For Adonais? was my introduction to Star Trek by my cousin during a visit to his house. My parents didn't watch the show, but later that year, I spent the summer at my cousin's house and I got to watch reruns all that summer. Never saw it again until 1970's syndication.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    Richard S. Ta likes this.