When did you become a fan?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by bentbastard, Jan 15, 2008.

1. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had been a fan since the 70s, ever since I was old enough to understand the basic rudiments of the show. I enjoyed watching the show whenever I could. It wasn't until TWOK in 1982 that I became a born-again devout Trekker.

2. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

I actually saw a couple of rerun episodes the summer of 1969, but I didn't actually become a "fan" for another year or so. I can remember being in 2nd grade and playing Star Trek at recess with my best friend (I had found the coolest chunk of wood that was shaped vaguely like a type I phaser). And I soon became addicted to the show in syndication. By 1975 we had cable, and I can remember running home from school and being able to watch 4 episodes back-to-back on weeknights. Trekkie heaven! :angel:

3. DumbDumb2007

DumbDumb2007 Commander

I recall seeing the apple one one night when it was first put into syndication. I was about 3 1/2 to just turned 4 years old and i recall looking at the screen. I saw a man in the gree nshirt and another time the same man i na gold shirt facing the camera on a planet. been wacthing it ever since. When i turned 5 i could figure out the stories and then i found the model kit in the store and it was love at first sight ! LOL I must have made 10 Enterprises since I was tiny ! I even have one wit hte hengines fallen off. I have one I never built put away in a box....

4. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I became a huge TOS fan when I was in grade school in the '80s. I stopped paying attention when I was in high school, and other than the very occasional TNG episode, didn't watch Trek at all until about a year before Enterprise debuted. At that point, I got interested again, and have since seen all the shows on DVD.

5. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I've watched Star Trek since the day it was first on TV back in 1966. I was in the 10th grade then.

6. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I saw TOS in reruns in the second half of the 80s as a kid. I immediately loved it. So much so that in first grade I went to the school carnival as Spock. In Eastern Germany. Unfortunately, it turned out that most of my class mates didn't watch nearly as much West German TV as they had claimed since they didn't know who Spock was, so it was a little disappointing.
    Anyway, from then on I watched all Trek shows in their first run here (except for the later seasons of VGR) and ENT before it ever aired over here ;).

7. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

I liked Star Trek during its initial run in the late 1960's. Got hooked on the movies with TWOK. (TMP was okay, but a bit of a let down).

And I took a more vested interest when TNG debuted as I went down to Paramount at least once or twice a year for ten years to pitch to TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

--Ted

8. Xelo

Xelo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A year or two before TNG ended, I was 13 or 14.

9. K-Star

K-Star Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

February of last year. Dad's always loved it, and my friend here likes it, so I decided to watch an episode of TNG (since that's the crew I grew up with) on Youtube and I was instantly hooked.

10. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I watched my first TOS episode when I was seven, so 1990. There were those horribly dubbed re-runs on Brazilian television my sister used to watch.

I became a fan about a year later, when we moved back to Germany. It was all TNG back then. I only became a DS9 fan in the late nineties.

11. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

I became a fan (rather than someone who merely watched Trek, as my parents did*) when I was at secondary school, when I found a group of like-minded nerds about Trek, and pass on information about characters and plots back in those days before we could just read FAQs, Wikis or TrekBBS. It was also nice to know that there were other kids who enjoyed Trek, and you could admit it to someone else without them laughing!

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I became a fan in September 1987 when TNG started. I was 11. I had seen a few TOS episodes as well as 2 of the four movies before that though.

14. major_kusunagi

major_kusunagi Cadet Newbie

High! I am new to the forums. I became a Trek fan watching syndicated TOS episodes, dubbed in Spanish.

:{)

15. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

I became a fan back in the summer of 1973, when I was 8 and was visiting my cousins who were living outside of London at the time.

16. tachibana

tachibana Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

years ago probably when i was 12 i watched TNG. I remember i had no idea what the hell was going on but the stories were good. :klingon:

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

1974 - I actually saw the Animated Series first before the Original Series - probably one of the few who did. I was genuinely shocked when I discovered TOS a year later.

18. Tralis

Tralis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

91-95, when I was like 5, staying up late to watch TNG with my parents.

19. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Encounter at Farpoint, from that point onwards. 6 years old.

20. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

Since TNG aired when I was in grade school.