When and how will DSC crossover with the TNG sequel?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Red Panda, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Sarxus

Sarxus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't really expect a crossover between DSC and the new Picard show and honestly I also don't hope there'll be one. The span of time is too long, it could only be solved through time travel and I'm not sure if I'm really keen on that, even though I like DSC.

I could though imagine some references in the new Picard show, like the events of DSC or its characters being mentioned. That would be cool indeed.

NeoStar9 likes this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

T’Pol and Trip did it first. Albeit accidentally.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think the difference being, if you run into a "Code of Honor" or "Move Along Home", there's always hope next week of getting something more to your liking. That was the advantage of episodic storytelling. Now, if you get a week or two in and don't like it, the entire season can be pretty much ruined.

I think the acting was very good, I think the writers dropped the ball. We'll see if, with less distractions, season two will feel more organic and better written.

eschaton, ITDUDE, Jadeb and 1 other person like this.
  4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

They could find a way to do it if they wanted to but it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I think it would be neat that once they have Trek running year round like CBS seems to be wanting, they have a sort of crossover involving a mystery that spans generations. The DISCO crew discovers it and aren't able to solve it, later Picard is able to put all the pieces put together by the other shows.

Lord Garth and JoeP like this.
  6. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Commander Red Shirt

This right here is ultimately want I want if there are going to be several Trek shows on the air at roughly the same time. This is also likely the cleanest way of doing a crossover between various eras and shows. Something that indeed starts in Discovery but continues to be a plot thread in future series with each crew solving only part of the mystery but as you go along the later teams acknowledging the contribution of the past teams that got them this far.

That way it could later be grouped together as one singular story.

Lord Garth and Awesome Possum like this.
  7. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It's how science works. Breakthroughs and advancement is based on learning from past experiments and conclusions, developing them as time goes on.

8. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think semi-serialized works best; like with SGA the Wraith were always the evil villians but by and large each episode was stand alone. DSC is good, but i've been binge watching it several episodes at a time. Now i'm up the last few, will probably tackle those next month.
    For the most part; DSC does break down stories into single or double episode entries, and there is significant character change - everyone can be a red shirt, even the highest paid actors aren't bulletproof. The arcs are more prominent than say, DS9's early Dominion War, and The War is The Story, but its a big story. It's not without flaws, and Burnham becoming Federation Enemy #1 was kind of puzzling for what was actually shown in The Vulcan Hello; but overall it got its feet under it as it progressed.

NeoStar9 likes this.
  9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think "The Vulcan Hello"/"Battle at the Binary Stars" pretty much ruined the first season for me. It was just so much non-sense.

If it had been me, those first two episodes would've been standalone where we got a feeling for the characters in a positive way, then we get "Context is for Kings" and everything is turned on its collective ear. Then we kinda backtrack a bit through dialogue or flashbacks to Burnham's downfall.

Burnham falling apart and mutinying just didn't set well with me for the very first episode.

Jedman67 likes this.