When and how will DSC crossover with the TNG sequel?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Red Panda, Aug 5, 2018.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Says who exactly? So aesthetics aren't canon. Technology isn't canon. Whatever line of dialogue they decide to ignore this episode is meaningless.

So, essentially, canon and continuity don't matter.

I imagine there will be some delicious tears flowing when the Picard series debuts and overwrites elements of TNG and the novel continuity. Many folks who say it doesn't matter will quickly shift their stance when the things they love start getting overwritten.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I imagine we'll see a slew of topics asking similar questions before the premiere of the new show:

When will Picard Trek go to the Mirror Universe? - You know, like STD did.
    Will Picard Trek bring back Noonian Soong? - You know, like STD did with Harry Mudd.
    Will Picard Trek bring in lots of familiar characters from TNG? - a variation of the above, and of course already being discussed; You know, like STD is doing with Pike, Number One, Spock, Sarek and gods know how many other familiar Trek characters from TOS.

To boil it down:

When will PIcard Trek regurgitate the same old shit? - if it's like STD, early and often.

3. BillJ

I wouldn't be surprised if Discovery's red galactic dots are said to appear every so often and that the Picard show picks up on that thread. Maybe bringing back his nephew Rene in the same way that Hugh Culber ends up coming back.

Serveaux and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

All of onscreen Star Trek ever.

Nope.

1) You clearly don't understand what a Retcon is despite Star Trek Canon being riddled with them

2) Novels aren't Canon, so they don't matter and never have

5. BillJ

I understand what a retcon is. Thanks though. There comes a point when you retcon so much, that the term "Prime" universe doesn't mean anything.

It doesn't mean folks aren't attached to the story they are telling. See: Star Wars Extended Universe.

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  6. BillJ

I figured I would swing back to this, because on-screen Trek would seem to disagree with you. From a photo of the TOS Enterprise in TMP, to the various appearances of the Constitution class ships, sets, equipment and uniforms in the Berman-era series.

The "look" of the TOS era was surprisingly consistent until Discovery.

7. middleagednerdgirl

middleagednerdgirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

I expect many references to everything that precedes it in the timeline, most of them Easter eggs that only us obsessed geeks are going to notice (a la Discovery). The only way an actual crossover could happen would be time travel. I fervently hope they don't go there.

8. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

You've reached a point of being able to be proactively negative about things in the planning stage. Your journey is complete.

9. BillJ

Not hard to do, based on the track record of the folks involved. I hope it is a great show, but I have my doubts.

10. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

He's become the kind of poster he used to troll and harass back in the ENT days. Part of me is enjoying his fall.

XCV330 likes this.
  11. Wulfsa

Wulfsa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you find a hair in the soup... its def. not from Picard!!!

TrickyDickie likes this.
  12. DigificWriter

You mean Oscar-winning movies (Akiva Goldsman), monumentally successful films and television series (Kurtzman), and monumentally successful novels (Beyer)?

There's really cause for concern.... NOT!

Kertrats47 and XCV330 like this.
  13. BillJ

Then one just has to look at Discovery. :eek:

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  14. DigificWriter

It's really hard to take anything you say seriously when you say silly stuff like this.

15. BillJ

I guess you know best about saying silly stuff. :lol:

Longinus and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  16. Red Panda

Red Panda Commander Red Shirt

Let's go with your style-over-substance approach. How on earth can you say DSC doesn't have style? It's one of the best looking TV series ever made.

17. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Insofar as Goldman is concerned, he does his best, award-winning work when he's nowhere near science fiction or fantasy of any kind. He doesn't seem to have a head for it. His theatrical attempts at such gave us the 1998 Lost in Space movie and Batman and Robin.

(John Logan is another writer I've noticed has the same limitations. When he writes historical fiction, we get things like Gladiator, The Aviator and Hugo. With sci-fi/fantasy, it's the remake of The Time Machine, Star Trek Nemesis, and Bats.)

BillJ likes this.
  18. BillJ

Is it? The effects came across as rather poor in the first season, the Klingons and their ships were overdesigned to an insane degree and the Starfleet interiors were sterile and dull.

I know they spent a lot of money, but I don't think the look ever gelled. It felt like they were making several different shows with differing styles.

YMMV.

19. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we're getting a character-heavy, Picard-focused plot, there is no reason to presume the show will be heavily effects laden, action-oriented, or high-concept sci-fi.

I'm sure Family was a very cheap Trek episode to make. It's still one of the better TNG outings.

20. BillJ

We don't live in an age of subtle sci-fi. It has to hit you like a sledgehammer to the nads. I don't expect the Picard series to be any different.