What's your favorite decade of Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Lord Garth, Dec 15, 2019.

?

Favorite Decade of Star Trek?

1. 1960s

13 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. 1970s

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. 1980s

10 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. 1990s

61 vote(s)
    59.2%
  5. 2000s

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. 2010s

7 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The 2010s are over in two weeks. What was your favorite decade of Star Trek? It doesn't have to be just the content that was put out but the overall experience.

Believe it or not, I have to say I'm going to go with the '90s.

"What? You're not going with the 2010s?" Nope. While my interest in Star Trek didn't ever go away, it was dormant for most of the decade and I barely even posted here up until the last two years. I think DSC is the best Star Trek since DS9 ended, but two years doesn't make a decade. And I am looking forward to Picard and potentially all the other upcoming series, but that's going to be the 2020s.

"What about the '80s?" I didn't become a fan until 1991 but I imagine it must've been exciting to look forward to a new TOS Movie every two or three years. But when I watch them, I like to be able to watch them one after another. It probably would've been torture waiting for them as they were released.

"What about the '60s or '70s?" Sorry but, for reasons that have nothing to do with Star Trek, it would feel too weird to go with a time I wasn't even around for. And you can still watch TOS today.

With the '90s, you had new episodes throughout the year, with two series on at the same time for most of it, and a new movie every two years. And even if you didn't like the new stuff, you could watch the older material whenever you wanted. I liked the episodes more often than not. And on the movie end, TUC and First Contact make up for Generations and Insurrection.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Armus, lazarus+ and Qonundrum like this.
  2. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

I watched a few episodes of TOS during original broadcast in the 60's, but I was too young to appreciate it. I started endlessly watching TOS reruns in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's. :) I enjoyed the TOS movies, TNG, DS9, (I got disinterested during VOY), and came back for ENT. I even enjoyed the JJTrek movies and now DSC. So, I voted for the 2010's because now, all Trek is available to me including many great books. Last year my interest got renewed once I discovered this TrekBBS site and all you great fans. :techman: Thanks, guys.

3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

The 90s, because of the better TNG seasons, DS9, VOY, TUC, FC, INS.

lazarus+, Qonundrum, dantini and 2 others like this.
  4. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

The 90s for me too.

lazarus+ and DS9forever like this.
  5. magicmuggle01

magicmuggle01 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I put the 70'S onwards. Even though I saw the first episode when it came out I was about two and a half and as such wouldn't have been able to understand the storylines to much. I would have just loved the action and phaser firing etc. By the 70's I grew to understand more storylines and understood what was happening. I do remember thinking at the time (what with the troubles in Northern Ireland and the cold war etc) that I wish the world was a lot like the Earth in Star Trek, no more illness, crime or wars.

But I did like all of the eras I just wish there had been a choice for all of them as I'd have pressed that one.

lazarus+ likes this.
  6. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I love the look of the TOS movies the most, but specifically 82-91.
    The time I really enjoyed Trek the most was around Season 5/6 of TNG, when I started getting into Trek, up to Season 5/6 of DS9 when I started dropping off.

7. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favourite decades are not there, which would be the 2360's and 2370's. Barring that, I've cast my vote for the 90's.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Definitely the '90s for me. Almost lived and breathed everything Trek back then.

ED-209 and Kilana2 like this.
  9. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

The 90s for me, too. That's when shows like TNG, Voyager and DS9 started and I begun collecting Trek books.

C.E. Evans and DS9forever like this.
  10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

1980's for me.

Things still seemed fresh. New movie every couple of years, highly anticipated run-up to the premier of TNG. Plus, the DC Comics run during those years was great. Especially the issues between Star Trek III and IV, where Kirk commanded the Excelsior.

Galileo7 and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  11. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

The ‘70’s & ‘80’s, because Star Trek was mostly in the hands of the fans, and the hands of Treklit. TAS was barely a blip on the radar, and the movies didn’t do much to change the feel of the Trekverse, beyond a movie every 2 or 3 years, which were quite easily blended into the evolving ‘verse.

It was a super-interesting, super-fun time to be a fan. When Roddenberry (and Arnold) started dictating canon in 1988 or so, it all came crashing down. The next time it got interesting was in about 2000-2009 or so, when the litverse took off (to again come crashing down following the Great Recession and the near-collapse of the publishing industry.)

Armus likes this.
  12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 90s. Star Trek was alive and happening.

Qonundrum likes this.
  13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 2000's, because that's when ENT (my favorite Trek series) was on.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  14. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

2063 when the Vulcans came...

XCV330, Lord Garth and Nerys Myk like this.
  15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I should do a favorite fictional Star Trek decade thread at some point. But I'll hold off until a year from now, after it's been six months since the upcoming seasons of Picard and Discovery and they're out of the Spoiler Zone. Can't wait to see the new time periods!

Nyotarules likes this.
  16. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

No doubt it's the 1980's.

TOS in re-runs (where I discovered it), TOS movies (my favorite "era" of the entire franchise), my first conventions, the premier of TNG, a great run of pocketbooks tie-ins, DC comics, the FASA RPGverse
    ....this was my "golden age of Trek" without a doubt. I feel nostalgic just typing about it.

17. Falconer

Falconer Commander Red Shirt

70s! TOS+TAS+SFTM. Perfection.

Armus likes this.
  18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shaka when the walls fell? :D

Nyotarules likes this.
  19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

2010's for me. While I'm a lifer, it's only in the last decade (well... 2007 I guess is when it started) I've been on the bleeding edge of new Trek and part of the online community. Hype hype hype hype hype!

lazarus+ and saddestmoon like this.
  20. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Could it simply be the decade we became fans? Or whenever the first show we saw was aired?