What's with the Uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bry_Sinclair, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to agree with Anticitizen on this point.

DS9 did Trek war (and did it damn good, IMHO), so there is really no need to revisit that. The next Trek should be about the aftermath and hardship of war leading into the return to peaceful exploration.

Whilst I have no problem with the concept of Starfleet Marines, personally I'd prefer not to have a series that featured them heavily (and the less down about S31 the better, I think). They would have their place and duty to serve, but as we've seen time and time again, general security guards are more than capable of handling just about any situation.

It always amazes me just where what tangents some topics end up going--often having nothing to do with the OP :)

2. cbp44189

cbp44189 Commander Red Shirt

OK, since there was such an outcry on my comments, I decided to go back and re-read I am legend's post to see if I misinterpreted it.
    Still looks kinda like disdain for soldiers to me.
    I guess I have a different interpretation of "mercifully little" than everybody else. For this I apologize.
    For the record, I don't want to see "battle trek" either, but I do enjoy seeing the harder side of Starfleet once in a while. Just as a reminder that the universe might not be as sugar and spice as we would like.

3. cbp44189

Oh, and to get back on topic...I like the skirts.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was, years ago. However, none of this has anything to do with what I think of soldiers. Nor do I have any interest in what strikes cbp44189's "bad side."

Fucking tired of the kind of superficial war stories that some Trek fans seem so impressed with, though. There's virtually no truth in them about soldiering or the experience of war; they're just kids playing guns in a way that titillates a lot of fanbois.

5. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Miniskirts rule!

6. cbp44189

I agree with everything you just posted. To include your disinterest with my bad side.

7. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Speaking of uniforms... Saw this SPOILER pic on twitter this morning.....

[​IMG]

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

New formal uniform, perhaps?

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool! They look a lot like what some were wearing on the Starfleet Academy grounds in the first movie.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those do look similar to what Paul McGillion wore in XI. Nice outfit all the same though.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Goldeneye called, it wants its hat back.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah the hats are terrible.

13. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I'm also tired of all of these fanboy blueprints and writeups you see of dreadnaughts, and carriers, and troop transports, with a half-dozen warp nacelles, and dozens of megaphaser emplacements and quantum torpedo tubes mounted over every surface, .

14. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE? [Y][N]

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like the hats - they're vaguely reminiscent of Pike's uniform hat.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In Soviet Federation hats wear you.

17. F. King Daniel

Is Scotty blonde in that pic? Or at least a much lighter colour than in the 3000AD birthday video he posted from the set (where he had black hair, as he did in STXI)

I wonder if we'll be hopping ahead a few years in this movie, hence at least one of the uniform changes? If I interpret the shoulder ranks correctly, Chekov's a lieutantant now?

18. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That little girl's parents are being made to sweat, while they check if their papers are all in order.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Pegg frequently changes his hair color. I've seen him blond, ginger, and somewhere inbetween in the past.
    There's still no rank stripes on his sleeve in the photo, but Scotty's uniform retains lcdr. stripes.

20. F. King Daniel

Yeah, but two hair colours in one movie?
    (FWIW, Scotty was blonde in the old Gold Key Trek comics)
    I was talking about the stars on the epauettes. Scotty has two rows, and if each row corresponds to a sleeve stripe, Chekov should have none - if he were still an ensign. Possibly a stretch, I know.

The uniform vaguely resembles (the hat/epaulette/arrowhead insignia, at least) the TMP-era Class A Dress Uniform from the old fan-produced "Federation Reference Series", viewable at the blueprint database on www.cygnus-x1.net. STXI's USS Kobayashi Maru was based on a design from an old fan-produced blueprint pack (also viewable on the site), so it's not infeasible that they're again taking inspiration from fandom.