What's so great about the TMP refit?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Shatnertage, Jun 21, 2010.

1. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

That certainly seems to be the way it's used here.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

"Hater" is simply an antonym for "fan", and the use of the word is just an acknowledgment that someone isn't a fan of something. That's all there is. It was probably seen as being easier/less white-bread to say than "detractor."

EDIT: Nothing wrong with that, of course. Don't be hatin' on me...
    :cool:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  3. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, please :rolleyes:.

It's an Enterprise without the TOS camp or TMP fragile.

5. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

6. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

Well to be fair, the saucer section is okay. The engineering hull and the nacelles are grossly misshapen though.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And without the TOS and TMP elegance.

8. corairs

corairs Ensign Newbie

Hello i love all theStar Trek Enterprise's and yes i like the Enerprise J but my fav one is the U.S.S. Enerprise NCC-1701 refit it just look's great it look's like a real warship and thank you KingDaniel for showing us that lovely shot of that lovely ship . :)

Star Trek foraver

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I could live with JJprise if they just straightened the nacelle struts and replaced the nacelles themselves. Anyone got a photo shop of jjprize with tmp nacelles?

10. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

YOu know, looking at the JJPrise like that, compared to the other two Enterprises, it really is, IMHO, a really neat looking Federation ship. It just isn't MY Kirk's Enterprise.

11. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

Nothing "campy" about the TOS ship. Where is that coming from? And the TMP refit is far from fragile. Both are beautiful, well proportioned and elegantly simple designs. But the Abramsprise is still BUTT...ASS...FUGLY:lol:

12. I-Am-Zim

I-Am-Zim Captain

:confused:

13. F. King Daniel

I love the TOS and TMP Enterprises, but if you're so far into blind devotion you can't see the 50's sci-fi style cheesy plain cylinders and saucer on the TOS Enterprise and the paper-thin nacelle pylons on the TMP one then you're beyond help.

And call it "fugly" all you want, but the STXI ship is the USS Enterprise NCC-1701. No amount of "mine's better!" will make it go away - but feel free to try. Reach for the sky, kid! :techman:

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

The TOS-E's tapered cylinder nacelles aren't cheesy; they're simple, elegant and functional-looking. And the slender, swept-back pylons on the TMP refit are sleek and graceful.

The JJ-prise's proportions are ALL wrong. And you want to talk 1950s sci-fi esthetics? What's with those cowls, scoops and fins on the nacelles? They look like Harley J. Earl designed them -- while he was drunk.

De gustibus non est disputandum, to coin a phrase.

15. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

That has to be the dumbest thing I've read this month.

16. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Well I have to say everyone loves the U.S.S Enterprise but i love the TMP refit she has all the right curves in the right places . And who remembers how good she looked in the drydock scene from TMP watching kirk fall in love with his ship again was amazing .

As fans we will always argue over which is the best looking U.S.S Enterprise i never liked the TOS enterprise but i,ve noticed and relised she,s as beautiful if it a was not for that design who,s knows what she have looked like.?

17. F. King Daniel

The original Enterprise is a saucer with three cylinders. There is little detail. It's not far in advance of rocket ships and flying saucers of really old sci-fi.

I like the design, but it's in the same niche as the Adam West batmobile now.

18. corairs

corairs Ensign Newbie

I like the new old big E but the Abramsprise look's like some thing out of a 1930's Buck Roger's move . :)

19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

To be fair, that was intentional. Matt Jefferies said in an interview he had to fight to keep people from adding a lot of stuff to the Enterprise's hull. He believed that things should be hidden within the hull rather than be exposed to "space elements."

I can buy that. Personally, I think the only real detail that is missing from the original Enterprise are some maneuvering thrusters (RCS jets) along the saucer section like the later ships do, but otherwise I can go with the idea of things like sensor/communication pallets being imbedded within or flush with the outer hull layers.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The TMP version of the ship has the advantage of not only much interesting detail but the proportions of the parts were refined somewhat from the TOS ship - giving a little more heft to the engineering hull, for example, so that the saucer didn't dominate quite as much.

My favorite remains the TOS ship. One of the things I like about the JJPrise is the extent to which the engines are derived from the TOS vessel - the thing I liked least about the TMP ship were the engines.

Beyond a certain point all of this is a fetish, though - most human beings are bored during the extraordinarily lengthy fly-around of the vessel in ST:TMP, and Kirk's fascination with the ship came over time to verge on the creepy.