What's so great about Pike?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Succubint, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is the major part here. The last Trek Captain we had that was uncontroversial was probably Picard.:guffaw:

I think that's also the reason why Cpt. Robeau and Pike from the JJ films are so beloved.

2. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

I think that's what I like about him, being so straight-laced but likeable, he kind of represents the boundaries that Discovery pushes against.

3. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've only seen the first episode of Season 2 and I liked Anson Mount's Pike. For me, the appeal of Pike is that Discovery gets to fill-in the blanks for a character I've long been curious about. Plus, I became a Pike fan due to Marvel's Early Voyages comics, and later Bruce Greenwood's portrayal, so I am curious to see what Discovery does with him, how they add to his story.

From what little I've seen so far, I am pleased. However, I do sense a tendency to overcompensate with Mount's Pike to contrast him with Lorca. It doesn't quite fit the gruffer character from "The Cage". Certainly, Pike at that point was grappling with a lot of stuff, but still, Mount's Pike seems a little too chill compared to Jeffrey Hunter's depiction.

But from just the first episode, I do like Mount's Pike and I would like to see him in a spin off show, perhaps aboard the Enterprise or on another ship after he leaves the Enterprise. I would be fine if they found some way to keep him as captain of the Discovery. Then again, if they placed Number One as captain of the Discovery I would be okay with that too. (I am looking forward to seeing Rebecca Romijn in the role).

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we really need April and his former crew making cameos?

Tim Thomason likes this.
  5. JTL

JTL Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Need? No way. I was just wishful thinking. He was a fascinating character in that old book I read 25 years ago. I’d like to see him brought to life.

6. Ronald Held

If it did not distract from the S2 mysteries, and their appearances were just not cameos.

JTL likes this.
  7. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

1.Unexplored captain of the Enterprise.

2.Great actor.

3.He's not Burnham.

8. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's so different than last season's Captain Space A**hole and it is so so welcomed by me.
    I loved the original character in TOS as well, as little as we got of him, so that plays a part too.
    And his character kinda embodies what Trek is to me.
    So, all of that.

marlboro likes this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nah, we need April for an arc where he's front and center. :p

10. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Count me in for wanting to see April as well. I'm glad he was mentioned in live-action last season but I wouldn't mind seeing him at some point. Perhaps even as the new captain of the Discovery, though with Pike being in command this season, it might make a bit too small universe, but still, that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'd think April would be an Admiral by now. April could give Pike some orders. Or Cornwell could be in a meeting with April and the Vulcan from S1.

12. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, I like asshole Lorca quite a bit. I thought he made a fun Captain who got the job done, but didn't care whose feelings he hurt along the way.

Even after the MU reveal, I still liked his a character, although I no longer liked him as Discovery's captain. His character wasn't ruined for me until the end when they turned him into a cartoonish villain with selfish motivations.

Vger23, Kor, Hythlodeus and 6 others like this.
  13. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Amen.

[​IMG]

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Michael Palin.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    XCV330 likes this.
  15. Ronald Held

Maybe April as an Admiral....

16. Doc Mugatu

Doc Mugatu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First, if you don't care for the Christopher Pike character that is your right. There is no persuading about it.

I think a good portion of his appeal comes from the rub the character got from the Kelvin movies. In both the films and Discovery they chose to make Pike a folksy mid-western type with an easy going charm. You say "generic" while I would say an "arch type." A western ideal of a commander of people. By our cultural norms it is more a case of what's not to like?

17. JTL

Jim Broadbent would be a swell Admiral April.

18. Doc Mugatu

Doc Mugatu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A different direction to go in …
    [​IMG]

19. JTL

You’d have to let Jacob out of the cabin, first.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Need? No, but I didn't need Pike either. However, Captain Pike has been my favorite captain since I was 13 so I am happy to have him.

Phoenix219 likes this.