What's "Freaky" about liking to sing?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by ED-209, Jul 14, 2020.

1. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And she's right about it being from Pinafore (I looked it up). I'd have instantly recognized it if it were from Pirates, given that I saw the Papp/L.A.Civic Light Opera production with Pam Dawber twice, and have the D'Oyly Carte recording on vinyl, but I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen Pinafore. (I never knew Larroquette appeared on The West Wing; although I don't think I ever saw an entire episode of it, I always admired the series. I of course remember him from Night Court, and as Maltz in TSFS.)

2. Muji

Muji Commander Red Shirt

I think West Wing is probably the show with the best written dialogue. Sorkin has moments of real genius, and he displays it so often there. WW is probably my favourite show of all time.

Jayson1 likes this.
  3. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Was that really a line of dialogue?
    Jesus

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

Yeah I wasn’t keen on it either.

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of what uncle described some classes at the NCO Academy were like...:shrug:

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Well, the OP's question is an easy hypothesis to test. Memorize the words to your favorite song, go into work the next day and start singing it, a cappella, in the middle of the room, where everyone can hear, including your supervisor. Let's see what happens next...

Thought so. :)

Turtletrekker, ED-209 and Qonundrum like this.
  7. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

"Freaky", in that context, could also be a metaphor regarding ribald activities that could be described as "kinky", since music and bedroom activities are often tied together in romantic media.

That vitameatavegamin song was a bit dingy too. But this was before Spock would remain po-face in front of everyone. But if seeing him like Robin Williams' coked-up stunt double in DSC led to his stoic mannerisms in TOS, why not? I guess that's what the makers were trying to sell with Spock's past. (I've posted clips of scenes that were good in the past, that's not going to stop me from doing what everyone else does and whine about what doesn't seem to work the way it may have been intended. :razz::devil: And it was arguably worse when Picard and Data belch out in song in INS as well... maybe that's the thing; everyone pops into song and dance on the good ship Enterpopidol at inopportune moments? :guffaw: On that day the audience was all feeling Worf and it was a good day to not fly... :p)

ED-209 likes this.
  8. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's breaking the rules though. People could probably get away with it in the break room and the office picnic. Number One was like "don't let people see you sing ever, or you won't ever get command!" which seems a bit paranoid.

I don't think breaking into song at an office picnic will necessarily prevent you from getting promoted.

137th Gebirg and ED-209 like this.
  9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I would agree. I think No. One was referring to general standard duty protocol. She is clearly one who must be taken seriously at all times, no matter what, even on off-duty hours. She does seem to be wrapped a little tight. Then again, it is a faithful performance to the Cage original. :)

hbquikcomjamesl likes this.
  10. hbquikcomjamesl

11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finally a excuse to show this!

Jason

137th Gebirg and hbquikcomjamesl like this.
  12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Because it is well known that Number One was meant to be the emotionless character in the original Cage pilot. This is Chabon's knowing wink to the material, even though they are sticking with Spock as being emotionless now, she's still a somewhat no-nonsense character.

13. hbquikcomjamesl

Hmm. I vaguely recall that number getting a nod in a ST novel. And not all that far-fetched for Starfleet to have a vessel called the Pinafore, given that "The Arsenal of Freedom," Riker established that Starfleet has a vessel called the Lollipop. ("It's a good ship.")

And I'm sorely tempted to use Number One's line on "WildManWizard," given his most recent locked thread.