What You Expected vs. What We Got

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Dukhat, Apr 6, 2020.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Thanks for sharing.

Arpy, Gonzo, Markonian and 2 others like this.
  2. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Thanks for sharing but I don't do angry middle aged men videos anymore. Far too many out there.

Cheap? OK

3. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

I was expecting a deep and engaging story: Got that.

I expecting a epic start fleet fleet at the end: Fail

The copy and past fleet was a real downing on a great series.

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I expected (feared) TNG 2.0.

I got something...much better.

5. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

I expected that Picard's Irumodic syndrome would come up, but I did not expect the final stages of it to go from being rather mild to severe that quickly.

Random_Spock likes this.
  6. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the issue is more can you get on board with what a series’ focus or strengths are — where it’s spending it’s energies. If that works for you, you like the series and forgive where it otherwise misses the mark for you. With the 90-minute “shitfest” YouTube videos, 1) I don’t think they get it, and 2) their focus is clicks and outrage, regardless the subject. They’re trying to develop a clique of fans that’ll repeatedly tune in to exorcise yet feed their outrage and thereby earn ad money on long form videos that become serious time/subculture investments.

Next season of PIC, do you think they’ll pick a new alien baddie to explore (Tholians or something) or stick with the Romulans? Oh’s still around, and we can talk about Narissa — no body means she might have survived, giving Seven an out on the regret of killing her.

ChallengerHK likes this.
  7. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With Chabon's name attached I expected better writing. Instead we got a continuation of Discovery's juvenile, try-hard, unfocused throw-everything-at-the-wall approach.

I didn't really watch previews, or read rumors, but when something is titled "Star Trek: Picard" I thought it would be smaller, more intimate; a character study. That didn't happen either.

8. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

How about videos from middle-aged women or younger women who parrot the same stuff as all them middle-aged menfolk? :guffaw: (Not that they're any more right or wrong just because they agree in their little clique; nobody's allowed to be an individual anymore on either side, it seems?)

9. Qonundrum

^^this

That's what it should have been.
    Picard is largely a supporting character in his own show, which is basically a plot point of "Insurrection" stretched out through ten episodes.

Or maybe seeing the name had created an expectation? One can be a fan of an author but still not like every last creation said author makes.

DSC's juvenile throw-it-all-against-the-wall, style-over-substance approach is not entirely unlike early TNG as well. (<-- On edit: Minor clarification, spelling boo-boo fix.)

Didn't Chabon say in an interview he didn't care if the fanbase was divided, which seems a bizarre statement in of itself? https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/michael-chabon-star-trek-picard-1203544717/ (A site vastly preferable to a few others out there...) No group of fans will like everything but usually their agreeing on some things and finding something to like as well as dislike seems preferable? Then again, a lot of fans have seen the same thing done as retread before with corrupt Starfleet peeps (Insurrection, Pegasus, so on and so on) before, it just doesn't need to be done again. Especially as

it feels more like "Blade runner on crack"

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    johnjm22 likes this.
  10. Arpy

I actually really liked the pacing that drove so many others mad. It made me yearn for more each episode, sure, but I don’t find the pacing of the J.J. films or parts of DSC conducive to introspection and thought. This series, especially about an old man, should be slower and sparer, and I enjoyed it as such while it at the same time revitalized the look and feel of a lot of this fake universe that had gotten too stylized and quippy for me.

To an extent that is. A lot of the general sci-fi design I didn’t like, and I’m permitting its fantastical (Galactica?) elements of contemporary clothing if it’s choosing to be more understated and down to Earth for whatever reason. I’m grabbing a glass of something and going there with it.

11. WildManWizard

WildManWizard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I definitely didn't expect to wrap up the Data arc in 10 episodes.

ChallengerHK likes this.
  12. Arpy

^ I felt similarly about the antagonistic Starfleet arc. Maybe they haven’t....“FUCK” :rofl:

13. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I think a big driving force behind the speedy Data resolution was Brent Spiner himself.

It wouldn't surprise me if they initially wanted to bring Data back in a synth body but Brent was having none of it, they may even have looked at recasting someone younger but wisely decided that it was too risky.

Soji and Picard now fill that spot anyway.

14. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I was pretty certain that
    Picard was going to die at the end, in some fashion. Pretty sure that's how they convinced Stewart to come back, giving him a death scene the way Nimoy was convinced so many years ago.

I was surprised
    that they brought him back so quickly, and in such an interesting way.

It was an emotional roller coaster, and I loved it.

Random_Spock likes this.
  15. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Not bizarre. Appropriate. He was asked to produce his take on Trek. Not “the fans’” take. He should absolutely not care if fans are divided. They’re ALWAYS divided. Rather than engaging in some quixotic attempt to please “the fans” in the (futile) hope they won’t be divided, he wisely chose to do what he wanted and let the audience decide after. As it should be with ALL artistic endeavours, commercial or otherwise.

Llywela, burningoil, TPezz and 3 others like this.
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect that
    They've promised him a for real one at the end of season three:lol:

17. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. 100% Perfectly put.

ChallengerHK likes this.
  18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

He shouldn't care.

Ovation and Qonundrum like this.
  19. Arpy

What would have been your story?

20. Qonundrum

Yet he did so enough to admit doing so. Or that's one possible perception. He shouldn't care any more than the audience in return does. If the audience isn't a claquish echo chamber, that's arguably better.

From one article:

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/michael-chabon-star-trek-picard-1203544717/

Kudos for him to taking the time to read. The producer/lead writer of Doctor Who claims he doesn't bother. Neither has to, I'm not disagreeing at all. But it does make one wonder what PIC season 2 will be. With Chibnall we know it's no-nonsese; one likes the style or one doesn't and one knows what to expect.

And even then, unlike certain websites and YT channels, he's not necessarily doing it just to stir pots. There was a story narrative. The only problem is they're going to run out of the heroes to get rid of, it's already past cliche. It sorta was when Kirk was offed (and Malcolm McDowell got death threats over Soran killing Kirk?! The idiocy from fandom stems back decades.)