What would you like to see retconned?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Laughing Vulcan, Oct 7, 2007.

1. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

A few years back, I had very geeky "What If" fun playing with a different "enhanced" warp drive equation.

2. Freakness

Freakness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the Borg Queen. it was a stupid concept that undermined the creepy impersonal threateningness (is that a word?) of the Borg, and paved the way for them to be made totally on Voyager.

3. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally saw Threshold for the first time last week. In it there are a few lines of dialog like "Now that we've broken the Transwarp barrier we just have to figure out how to navigate in Transwarp to use it to get home." (Only not quite that clumsily written) I cringe to type it, but Threshold isn't contradicted by that line. Fear not though. We can pretend it never happened anyway.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

No, what would have been simple was to show Tom Hardy as a Starfleet cadet with hair.

Showing him bald as a cadet suggested either a careless continuity error with episodes of TNG or--more likely, IMO--a belief that audiences are too stupid to accept a coiffed Tom Hardy as a young Picard.

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It's the second one. Shinzon himself had hair in the script.

6. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

I'd like a George Lucas wannabe to go through the Undiscovered Country with a digital paintbrush getting rid of all the lilac blood.

7. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I agree that the whole warp speed thing needed to be rethought, along with the idea that there really were huge distances between the Enterprise, DS9, etc. and home base. They should have established that DS9 was so far out that even at "maximum warp" they were still a good year away from Earth, rather than them being seen shuttling back and forth between DS9 and Earth as easily as between DS9 and Bajor. Not to say all the earth episodes were bad, but they did serve to undermine the "Deep Space" premise a bit.

This especially started falling apart when TNG attempted to establish a warp speed limit. Remember the S7 episode where it was revealed that warp speed was hurting some race of aliens, so Starfleet put in a Warp 5 maximum (or something like that) -- and how this was almost immediately ignored in TNG except for I think one episode, as well as DS9 and VOY? The only long-term effect was that the writers no longer specified "warp factor 9" etc. and instead introduced the term "maximum warp" as a catch-all. Certainly subsequent episodes of the 3 shows and later films never seemed to suggest that the "speed limit" was causing any sort of inconvenience. (BTW odds are Starfleet's brain trust probably figured out a workaround, but there was never anything mentioned on screen to suggest the speed limit was ever lifted.)

Cheers!

Alex

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

that was actually stated in VGR publicity materials - it had a 'green' warp drive and that was why it had tiliting warp nacelles. supposedly the same applied to Defiant but her nacelles didn't tilt.