What We Left Behind - Documentary Update Confirms *Some* HD Remastering

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Eric Cheung, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed in the coin. I'd pony up another fifty if the reward was something I remotely wanted, but...yeah, I dunno. As someone who has been bit by the "just one more donation needed" bug before, I'm gun shy. They should add a digital download of the score to the doc as another perk, that would push me over the edge I reckon.

It would be nice though to have all the footage in HD for the doc, considering it may very well be the only HD footage we'll ever get.

Loved the ending of the clip though. Andy rules.

IronWaffle likes this.
  2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well I just learned something new. I didn't realize that from Season 3 on, camera operators were framing ‘action-safe’ for widescreen.

IronWaffle likes this.
  3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what this means: there exists an original print that would conform to widescreen specifications?

4. Savage Dragon

Basically it means they left room to recompose shots in widescreen at a later date if they wanted to do so. If you take a look at the image at the bottom of this TrekCore article you can see what I mean.

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

.....is the correct answer to the question 'What is Star Trek : Deep Space Nine ?'

Ar-Pharazon, lurok and gazomg like this.
  7. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I'm a High-Def hero! I could do nothing less for DS9.

(That clip with Andrew Robinson & Ira Behr was great!)

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Totally understandable. The design is rather...amateurish, which is why I'm really hoping the design will change. However, I suspect we won't see the new design until after they're done accepting contributions. Like I said before, I would love to have the coin and help push towards full HD for all of the clips, but $50 is a bit steep for such a basic design.

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Dang, it would have been cool if instead of the coin they did a slip of latinum. I'd have gone for that. :)

10. The Nth Doctor

A slip of latinum would've been cool, I agree, but as a coin collector (challenge or otherwise), the coin itself appeals to me (just not the design as of now).

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Oh, don't get me wrong! I don't bemoan it at the expense of those who do want it. I think it's nifty and all, just not for me. It's a mild pity there wasn't a "Choose this or this" option for the new donation. In fact, that would have been much better because some people would have donated twice to get both.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  12. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

For the Hi-Def LEGACY SPONSOR it says your name will be on the subtitle track. So does that mean you have to have subtitles on? Or will it be overlaid on the video for all to see? That would make a difference to me.

13. Savage Dragon

The video makes it seem like it will be a direct overlay for all to see.

14. The Nth Doctor

My impression was that it would be a subtitle track that needs to be turned on.

Tosk likes this.
  15. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

A lot of shows in the 90s did this method. THE X-FILES did this, as it allowed for an HD remaster to frame it at 16:9. I'm sure there was an article in the 90s that actually brought this up at one point. If DS9 began shooting the show this way in the beginning of season three, then presumably VOY did it for the entire show, as that went into production at the time of DS9's third season.

In fact, ENTERPRISE was almost going to stick with the 4:3 framing, until UPN pushed for 16:9.

16. DrOBoogie1

DrOBoogie1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

When you factor in blu-rays sales and streaming revenue, DS9 in HD would likely be profitable.

Not doing it is the death knell for DS9 (and Voyager), because the day is coming soon (if it's not already here) that audiences are simply not going to watch older shows in standard definition.

Armus likes this.
  17. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

^DS9 needs, DS9 deserves, a full scale conversion from standard to high definition and a subsequent bluray release.

18. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Unfortunately, conversion projects are not undertaken because a show deserves them. They're undertaken if it looks like they'll make money.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  19. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Well that's just not fair. ;)

kkt likes this.
  20. RedAlert

RedAlert Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"Tribbles and tribbliations", on the second season of TOS was remastered or just upscaled to put in the Bluray of TOS?