What was your first Star Trek book?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by PKS8304, Jan 12, 2012.

1. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock Must Die!, Spock, Messiah!, as I was discovering older Trek novels at used bookstores.

First one I bought new? The excellent "Entropy Effect".

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Most are readily available from online sellers, sometimes for a few cents plus postage.

3. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek #34 Dreams of the Raven, was my 1st Trek book

4. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I'll just re-post what I said the last time this kind of thread came up:

5. cdgodin

cdgodin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For me, and I just started this yesterday, it was Vanguard: Harbinger. A Pretty good book so far. About halfway through.

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the board, and to Trek lit. :)

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've said this in other threads which have asked this question but I believe it was the novelization of "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" which was among the first I bought myself with my own money, so it has extra significance. The second book was Imzadi by Peter David which I have also the audio book signed by Marina Sirtis.

8. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Encounter at Farpoint -TNG

9. The Caprican

The Caprican Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My first Star Trek novel was the TNG book Strike Zone by Peter David. I remember thinking how awesome the story was with Wesley and his friend who was dying. I was 9 years old. I had watched TOS with my mom in syndication and had just started watching TNG. I quickly got into other books as quickly as I could, reading Masks, The Peacekeepers, and Reunion next. I don't know if I would have been as eager to get into the novels if it hadn't been a David book. His writing was truly awesome for 9yo me, and I go back and reread that novel every so often. It never gets old.

10. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

First overall - TNG #1, Ghost Ship.
    First TOS was The Three-Minute Universe and first DS9 was Fallen Heroes, I believe.
    All the other series I got in on the ground floor. :p

11. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Mission to Horatius by Mack Reynolds circa late 1971, though I don't remember reading it the first time -- I was more excited about the same publisher's books based on other shows like Hawaii Five-O and Rat Patrol. I think I'd only managed to see one episode of Trek by that time, and didn't have the chance to see it again for another couple of years. But in 1973-74 I picked up a used copy of Star Trek 3 by James Blish and there was no looking back. (A very trivial bit of trivia: if you have Jeff Ayers's Voyages of Imagination book, the cover scan of Star Trek 3 is from my copy.)

12. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Mine was also "Mission to Horatius" followed by Blish's Trek adaptations and "Spock Must Die".

13. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

A Good Day to Die

14. Admiral Rex

Admiral Rex Lieutenant Red Shirt

I had owned "Enterprise: The First Adventure" but never got around to reading it. And then "Star Trek: The Lost Years" came out. So I read "The First Adventure" to lead into "The Lost Years." It was fun reading the beginning and then the end of the five-year mission.

I've been hooked on Star Trek novels ever since. :drool:

15. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

it depends on where u live at when i was down in WEst Jefferson NC there were 2 trek books Day of the Vipers TEROK NOR, and DESTINY 2, so its all up the location i belive

16. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

Agreed! I read this one in 6th grade its its still wonderful! Dr. Emil i remmeber this one! Its a fascinating read, scientifcally and a cool murder mystery with Troi and the monkey man worf working togther!:klingon:I AM NOT A MONKEY MAN. Well thats what my sister calls u sir so u are monkey man to her.
    :klingon:GGRRRRR PETAQ! VESH DO ZOSH! VERIDIAN:confused::lol:

17. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

I read the James Blish adaptations of TOS scripts when they first came out. I guess that dates me somewhat.

18. Mysterio

Mysterio Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yup. Me too. Guess that makes me an old fart as well :lol:

19. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

First one I ever read was the novelization of Wrath of Khan. I still have it, as well as every single Trek novel that's ever been published, including all the Bantam and the one Whitman(except for Pocket's YA books, and the Corps of Engineers, which I have in e-book format). I've read 99% of them. The first original novel I read was Entropy Effect.

20. Mike_King

Mike_King Ensign Newbie

TNG: A Rock and a Hard Place was the first. Peter David got me hooked and I haven't stopped reading since.