What was "The Burn" and what caused it?

Well, no one guessed it.

mutant Kelpian child with super powers caused the burn. Something about being on planet made of dilithium and radiation or something changed him somehow. I didn’t quite get it exactly. Technobabble!

Well, no one guessed it.

mutant Kelpian child with super powers caused the burn. Something about being on planet made of dilithium and radiation or something changed him somehow. I didn’t quite get it exactly. Technobabble!
This is actually the most trash explanation for the biggest catastrophe to befall the Federation ever. I definetly like my idea better now, that the Terran Empire reformed as the distance between universes grew. As the Federation declined even before the Burn, the Terran Empire conquered their entire galaxy, and now the 32nd century empire was trying to move into this one and conquer it, with what was happening to the Emperor a symptom of them trying to break through the barrier and distance between universes and bring them closer. I was thinking the Burn was symptomatic of trying to break through by changing the laws of physics at the destination (our universe).

But alas, instead we get an X-Men story. Cool.

Well, no one guessed it.

I surely didn't expect Mutant Kelpian Child with Dilithium resonating Super Powers causing the burn.

This is actually the most trash explanation for the biggest catastrophe to befall the Federation ever. I definetly like my idea better now, that the Terran Empire reformed as the distance between universes grew. As the Federation declined even before the Burn, the Terran Empire conquered their entire galaxy, and now the 32nd century empire was trying to move into this one and conquer it, with what was happening to the Emperor a symptom of them trying to break through the barrier and distance between universes and bring them closer. I was thinking the Burn was symptomatic of trying to break through by changing the laws of physics at the destination (our universe).

But alas, instead we get an X-Men story. Cool.

Remember that time a human child got X-men like super powers in TOS or Kirk's best friend got god-like powers in TOS?

I surely didn't expect Mutant Kelpian Child with Dilithium resonating Super Powers causing the burn.
Speak for yourself.

That's the parody explanation I had made up for it.

At least there's a chance we got one right: Burnham may cause the second Burn on purpose next week.

It could have been worse. A lot worse. At least it wasn't Burnham inadvertently causing it with her time travel.
I'm feeling I might have liked that one better now. Or at least, there are ways that could have been the better truth – a lesson that you may have saved all life, but caused catastrophic damage on your way there. At least it makes some sense. But you're right, if had been that, it shouldn't have been the mystery of the season (it should have been revealed in Episode 1 or 2), so in that regard, maybe this is marginally better (and there was a whole fascinating side to it too).

I'm slightly disappointed Burnham didn't have the arrogance, like the other offsprings of Ni'Var, to be obsessed with the belief that she did cause it, though. At least the discovery that she did not would have been very fulfilling.

Back