What was "The Burn" and what caused it?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

"I think" that's none of your business, and "I feel" that this is a discussion board and not some kind of waldorf school. Better?

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, you're getting there. We'll make something out of this together. Civil discussion is quite a lost art, don't you think so?

3. Oso Blanco

Civil discussion is one thing, bending yourself backwards to make sure you don't offend people who feel offended by everything is another. I think we should move on now.

RedAlert likes this.
  4. Mage

I agree. Although I feel there is a lot more to say about behavior in discussions, this topic not the place.
    For the record, I don't feel offended personally.

5. RedAlert

RedAlert Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  6. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My teaching-of-writing teacher made us begin our critiques of others' writings with "It seems to me that. . . ."

7. Mage

Every teacher for any language I ever learned always said: You begin your opinions with some form of 'in my opinion'.
    This is what I ment with the lost art of discussion. Now people just seem to think that 'I should be able to say what I want' means being rude is ok and other shouldn't feel offended by your behavior.
    Blegh. I said I wasn't going to say it, but I am.........

Saying other people are offended too quickly doesn't actually mean you aren't being offensive. You're just trying to shift blame away from yourself so you don't have to take responsibility.

8. Oso Blanco

a) We are not in a classroom.
    b) I wasn't being rude. You can't blame me if the concept of everyday language escapes you.
    c) It wasn't even your post I responded to, so why do care anyway? Language Police?
    d) Try do relax and get a life!
    e) Let's drop this language discussion now!

9. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

What caused the burn?

Someone blinked too much at a warpcore

10. Mage

SIR YES SIR.

:rolleyes: And you're telling me to get a life.... Hell, it's funny that I was the second one making a comment about what teachers are teaching us and you're picking me to comment on. Kinda flattering really. Thanks.

In any case, good thing this forum has an ignore button. How about we both use it and benefit from that?

ozzfloyd likes this.
  11. Mage

Yeah, I'm still not to sure what to think about all that. It was both kinda cool and kinda weird. Blinking could upset a hologram??

12. Pierre

Pierre Ensign Newbie

Is it possible that the Burn could have something to do with the Omega Particle?

Probably not, considering it destroyed subspace, not dilithium. Who knows what future species tried to do with Omega. Maybe they harnessed it and used it just like an everyday fuel source alongside dilithium.

There's little info to go on. For all we know the Borg had something to do with it. But I think in regards to Discovery, the cause will probably be something closer to home. Most likely something to do with Discovery and it's crew perhaps?

13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1,000 (THOUSAND!) years better holograms and she uses a 1,000-year-old trick.

Viking comes forward in time and uses a special Viking trick to disable advanced avionics on an aircraft carrier.

Also, let me just say, a thousand quatloos on "the Burn" being related to BURNham. It is so likely, based on the writing, and the always-importance of weepy-eyed MB, it is almost a certainty, except for that pesky Heisenberg thing.

werdegast likes this.
  14. Oso Blanco

That was the very first thought I had when I heard about the Burn. It would really surprise me if the Burn was not related to a Burnham (mother or daughter) at all. The writing of this show has not been all that subtle so far, and I doubt it will be anytime soon.

15. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depending how long Book was with Discovery, Mirror Georgiou could have hacked his computer somehow to learn about 32nd century holograms.

16. Mage

Wait.....what? People are now actually connecting The Burn to either mother or daughter Burnham because of four letters?? :confused::confused:

Nerys Myk likes this.
  17. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love to see the side caption explaining that in Discovery's foreign language subtitles in other countries. :lol:

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    [*LAUGHS IN VOYAGER 6*]

19. Mage

I'm Dutch. I'd love to see that. Michael Verbrandingham......

God I wished a lot of people would simply stop watching Discovery and let others just enjoy it. The concept of them NEEDING others to hate it as much as they do so they can feel justified is amusing as hell.
    And I mean, what does that say about someone really? That you keep watching something you dislike? Do you really hate yourself that much?

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Burnham hatred burns forever.

I'm only partially sorry for that pun.

PiotrB, burningoil, SJGardner and 2 others like this.