What unseen parts of the ship do you wish we saw?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by JonnyQuest037, Jun 20, 2011.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

I think this screen capture of Kirk bowling shows a little bit of Gary Seven, his secretary and his cat (in disguise), on the right gutter,

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/186/vlcsnap276762bv0.jpg/

(or it might be a shot from that classic rival to the Airport series of movies, "The Big Bus")

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Still pretty much puts the kibosh on the idea that it leads to a nacelle.

Besides, it seems that the same people advocating that the Jefferies Tubes lead to the nacelles also push the idea that the big tube assembly in Engineering leads to the nacelles. Pick one, guys, can't be both.

Me, I don't think either of them lead to the nacelles.

5. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really wanted the big tubes in Engineering to lead up through the pylons - unfortunately, they're at completely the wrong angle!
    Ah, well...

6. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

Sure it can!

Not if they cross somewhere before entering the actual pylons! [insert "Galaxy-Quest-reasoning-for-needing-roman-candles"-styled argument here]

The beauty of this question is that it is ultimately philosophical... it can be either or both or neither as the viewer sees fit!

For me, it's the Jeffries tubes. That idea was self-planted in the 60's, and no amount of reasoned argument will ever get it out of my subconscious! *grin*

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Just an observation: the "pipes" in the engine room lean inwards merely because it enhances the illusion created by the forced perspective of that part of the set. If they were straight up or leaned out it would dampen the illusion of height and depth. I'm sure that was all Jefferies was thinking about when he designed it.

I always took those to be the "boilers" of the Enterprise the output of which channeled through some other system to the nacelles, not that they led directly to them.

8. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

That of course is correct. He even used forced perspective by making each tube smaller than the one before it, for the illusion of depth/distance.

9. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was only an advocate for the Engineering idea. The Jefferies Tubes leading to the nacelles never occurred to me.

10. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Give that man a cupie doll! :techman:

11. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Toilet.

12. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

I remember a guy took the old Enterprise bridge model kit and added a bathroom (with toilet) on the outside, just to the right of the viewscreen. And as the kit came with only one figure in the sitting down position... you guessed who was on it, didn't you?

13. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always thought that one (or more) of the tech manuals had the pipes behind the screen in the engine room be the space between the two main impluse engines in the primary hull. What we were seeing were the inboard sides of them with interconnecting power conduits.
    And I'd like to see the pool. Put a retractable cover on it and you've got a dancefloor. And shouldn't that mean a Captain's jacuzzi as well?