What tropes in science fiction annoy you?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gingerbread Demon, Jul 21, 2018.

1. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also thought of The Goonies:

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Angel has a lot of good quotes in the show

3. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Adult of Dubious Maturity Premium Member

Also, people are capable of change. We do it by changing what we want more, i.e. I used to want to sit and eat; now I want to be healthy as I get older more than I want that. Yes, underlying wants determine our actions, but I think we can choose our wants, it just takes a lot of work.

That was on last night! Such a perfect movie.

publiusr likes this.
  4. Elf and Safety

Elf and Safety Admiral Admiral

Yeah, we set goals to achieve objectives - in early life it comes down to survival and increasing the chance of reproduction to pass on one's genetic material. Later on, it's about protecting and nurturing progeny and family that share your genes. There are other goals of course, but these are perhaps the main ones programmed into us. That's all a gross simplification. Those of us without children have to find other distractions, for example adopting children for some, typing nonsense on a BB for others.

5. oldtrekkie

oldtrekkie Captain Red Shirt

You know in ants only one in tens of thousands of individuals reproduce. Yet the others not only fulfill an important role but they are essential for the survival of the species.

6. Elf and Safety

Yeah, or more the survival of the "selfish" gene, which is, of course, only a label that we anthropomorphically apply to something that has no motive.

7. oldtrekkie

I know it's a book by Dawkins. I haven't read it yet, though.

8. Christmas Corps

Christmas Corps Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say that it per se annoys me, but "people more like ants" is a trope that's pretty much played out at this point.

9. oldtrekkie

I don't remember it in fiction.

10. Elf and Safety

I've read "The Selfish Gene", "The Blind Watchmaker", and "Climbing Mount Improbable" - those are worth reading. I borrowed "The God Delusion" to read but gave up as I didn't learn anything new and it became somewhat wearisome when I realised I didn't need persuading about the strength of his thesis in the first place. I haven't read "The Extended Phenotype" and I probably should.

11. Christmas Corps

Christmas Corps Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was done literally in Phase IV.

More often it's done figuratively, for example by comparing people to insects, but also anytime a "hive"-like society is posited, with division of labor into drones and queen. The Borg, for example, would qualify on that account.

12. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Admiral Premium Member

Oooh I have one. Magic is real but hey you're not allowed to do magic outside in the world but hey we have a special university you can go to that is in another dimension separated from the rest of the world and we will teach you magic there, and you can even take over the world or try if you wish all we do is provide the tools (magic) and teach you how to use those tools. Oh and we steal our electricity from the outside world and you can use laptops and cellphones there too but don't mind that magic.

In this setting why hasn't anyone left this university and done that, tried to take over the world with the power of actual real magic or become very famous, rich or powerful, instead they stay in the background. Fucking idiots. Oh and magic is done by aliens, don't ask me why this exists in this setting but apparently magical beings are aliens as there's other worlds out there in the multiverse and that's the setting for our show........ Well that was The Magicians, hated season 1, absolutely HATED IT. Season 2 seems a bit more fun, but the setting is super silly in parts.