What treasures from your past have you dug up lately?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sibyl, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Liza Johnson

Liza Johnson Ensign Newbie

It is a Looooooong story my friend. But I am good at the end of it. How are you? how is marc? How is terran?

2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

You've got a PM! I'm okay, bro and dad are also doing well. :mallory:

3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

For a long time I've been working on write-ups of 35+ years of Dungeon Mastering. It started off with simply trying to list out the stats and basic careers of all the player characters and NPCs — but I eventually realized that was such dry reading that it wasn't worth it. Eventually I started annotating each entry with personal comments on how a character got his name, or what was going on behind the scenes at a particular game session, or the unusual magic items that were introduced here and there, or foolish decisions in the course of the games by the players. Not to mention a lot of foolish decisions by the DM. It's basically turned into my memoirs. And people who've seen it do find it to be entertaining.

in the process, though, I've had to research and re-read my surviving notes so as to record the stuff as accurately as possible. And I've unearthed all sorts of new gaming anecdotes and stories that I'd forgotten about. (Which is why I'm doing the whole project in the first place, so it doesn't all get forgotten.)

Sibyl likes this.
  4. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found a coin in a tin that I’d forgotten i owned. A special coin commemorating the channel tunnel. It’s face value was 2.8 ecus.

I’ve got more coins than I realise, though I’ve lost track of my TMNT and Tetley Teabags Jurassic Park Coins. Hope they turn up.

Sibyl likes this.
  5. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a treasure for anyone else, but kind of a sentimental treasure for me... my old clay phasers from childhood. For some unknown reason, I never thought to employ a straight rule to help with the lines, to make them look more clean and accurate. But... I guess it kind of lends a certain "naive" charm instead.

First version, phaser I & II
    [​IMG]
    Photo 2, Photo 3
    I remember when they came out of the kiln--I was so pissed off that the glaze color didn't come up as I'd hoped. But in retrospect, it gave it more of an artistic improvisational flair. I was 13 when I made these.

Hand phaser, 2nd attempt
    [​IMG]
    Photo 2, Photo 3
    This came out better than the 1st phasers, because now I had the "Making of Star Trek" paperback to use as a guide. But I really should have used a ruler to keep the lines straight and scored the clay after it dried to smooth out and even up surfaces. Still, not too bad considering I was only 16.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  6. Butters

Those are fantastic. When I was 14, I could barely manage to make my own Pot Noodle.

Sibyl and Gary7 like this.
  7. Butters

When I was little, bread would come wrapped in a plastic bag with a small square of plastic with a hole, top centre, to pinch the bag closed. These were replaced years ago, with a sticky plastic strip.

Yesterday, I found a loaf sealed with the old fashioned plastic tag.

Not really a treasure, but a blast from the past.

Sibyl likes this.
  8. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

We still have those. I play hockey in the kitchen with my cat Charlie with them. She usually wins.

Sibyl likes this.
  9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

We still use those in Canada too. If you want me to send you some, let me know! :lol:

We also use a slightly larger and thicker version of that plastic tag to seal our milk bags.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  10. Butters

Milk bags? Milk comes in cartons or bottles, surely?

I’ve only bought bags for expressed milk. What other type is there?

11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found some comic books I made in high school, mainly as good-natured mocking of my classmates. If I was still in touch with them, I might be inclined to send a copy for nostalgia's sake.

Kor

Gary7 and Sibyl like this.
  12. Avro Arrow

Well, yes, it also comes in cartons. The 1 L and 2 L sizes come in cartons.

If you buy the 4 L size (which I tend to), it comes in bags:

[​IMG]

(You can see at the top where the tag seals the bag.)

Inside the outer bag are three individual sealed bags. Just put one of the bags in your pitcher, snip off the corner, and you're good to go! :D

[​IMG]

Astra, cosmic mouse and Sibyl like this.
  13. Butters

Interesting. We don’t have anything like that here.

Some milk, I remembered, does come in bags, sort of. At my old job, the canteen had a refrigerated milk dispenser that took a large box, with a plastic bag inside. The milk came out through a rubber teet that was pinched closed by a spring, and released by holding a cup against it. They were heavy and awkward to replace.

14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, in my neck of the woods, something like that would likely be for the restaurant/service industry rather than consumer-end. Now I want a big bag of milk!

Kor

15. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Boxes of wine and bags of milk! What will we think up next?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Gary7 and Butters like this.
  16. Butters

Not something I dug up, but a blast from the past has brought up memories of my ill spent youth. A railway company has painted one of it locomotives in to its original colours of thirty years ago. Takes me right back.

Sibyl likes this.
  17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

The wine is in a bag in a box.

Sibyl likes this.
  18. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
  19. Butters

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    Gary Mitchell likes this.
  20. Avro Arrow

OK, I have changed your image to a link, not because it was gross, which it totally was, but because it was hotlinked from Shopify. I would ask you to please stop doing that. Thank you.