What treasures from your past have you dug up lately?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sibyl, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Continuing to pack, I have come across my collection of circulation one pound coins from around the territories.

There’s Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Falklands, and loads of UK ones. No longer legal tender, but still nice to have.

rhubarbodendron and Sibyl like this.
  2. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

That's interesting!

Y'know, I guess I'll need to look this up, but I'm pretty sure every piece of currency that was ever printed or pressed in the US is still legal tender. You'd be stupid to spend some of it for its face value, but I believe they're all still legal to be used as money.

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

a few years ago I happened to find a 50 DM bill in one of my books. Santaman's comment when I mentioned my find in chat: "Ooh! Real money!" (you can tell he's not very happy with the Euro :D)

Sibyl likes this.
  4. Butters

U.K. notes and coins are often removed from circulation, mostly to keep ahead of counter fitters. In the eighties the 1/2 penny coin and the £1 note we’re discontinued, and the twenty pence introduced. In the nineties, the five pence and ten pence were redesigned at a new size and older larger versions, which included the silver shillings alongside the new pence version, were taken out of circulation. There was a time limitation on exchanging old coins at the bank but I don’t know how long. We had occasional two pound coin releases, along with five pound coins. These continue to be legal tender and I’ve got some lying around. A new two pound is now in permanent circulation, alongside the new one pound.

The whole coin set was redesigned about ten years ago, with the coat of arms spread across them all. Our notes have just gone plastic for 5 & 10, and the paper versions are no longer accepted. It’s not unusually to have Scottish and Northern Irish notes in our change, and Manx coins.

Also legal tender, but unlikely to find, is the maundy money coins. Specially minted 1p 2p 3p 4p & 5p coins given away by the queen. I’m wanting some of those.
    Ive loads of French francs here and there that I never converted back before the Euro, and Punts. Got plenty of Euros too but I can’t imagine spending any time soon.

I went though a brief phase a while back of collecting ecus, the European Currency Unit. I got the full U.K. set, but started buying Spanish, French and Dutch coins when they appeared on eBay. I never found any history on what was produced, so I’ll never know if the set is complete, but they’re are even Scottish ECUs.

5. rhubarbodendron

hmm, that's indeed a problem. Not even the European central bank offers a list on their website. Maybe a numismatic webforum could help you there.

6. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Came across my old Game Boy SP. Just charged it up and it still works! :) Working on trying to find my Nintendo DS next.

Sibyl and TribbleFeeder like this.
  7. rhubarbodendron

Ikea has curtains almost exactly like those we had when I was a small child in the 60s =)
    [​IMG]

TribbleFeeder, Random_Spock and Sibyl like this.
  8. Sibyl

This one is really special to me.

All those things that I've dug up that I've purchased or created in my past are great, but none of them come close to this:

[​IMG]

It's called a drafting pen. My dad used to use it for liquid model glue. It uses capillary action to trap a little bit of the liquid (ink, or in my dad's case, plastic cement) and deposits it wherever you place the tip of the pen.

My dad lent it or gave it to me about 10-15 years ago or so (I don't remember which). I didn't remember if I gave it back or lost it, but either way, I had zero ideas of where it went.

Yesterday, I went searching for a book that I'd purchased in high school. A book of plans for a rolltop desk. I'm planning to make one, as mentioned in another thread.

I was digging through the same bin that I'd found a bunch of those drawings from earlier in this thread. Well, I got to the bottom of the stack and no book. I decided, on a whim, to go through the small items at the bottom of the large bin. At the very bottom edge closest to me, I saw a little black rod. I picked it up and lo and behold, it was my dad's pen! :o

Just recently I'd been thinking about it and had posted to a modeling group on Facebook because I had no idea what it was called, and I wanted another so I could replace the one I was sure I'd lost and give it back to my dad. Most people had no clue what I was talking about, but one smart person that happened to have been a draftsman in a past life asked if a drafting pen might be was I was looking for. YES! That was IT! I had always thought it was a modeling tool and had no idea it was for drawing (drafting).

It's too late to present it to my dad, but I damn near cried when I saw this at the bottom of that plastic bin. I did, however, scream some obscenities out of joy.

Oh, that book I was looking for was on a shelf, upstairs, in plain view, right next to most of my Star Trek books, all of my CDs, and most of my PC disks (backups, programs--yes, programs used to come on these little silver disks called CDs. ;)).

9. rhubarbodendron

I never knew what this tool was for. Thanks for explaining! One of my granddads was an engineer and had one of these for drawing plans :)

Sibyl likes this.
  10. Sibyl

I didn't, either!

I started training to become an architect in high school and later trained for engineering (we have Mr. Scott to thank for that!), but it was well after mechanical pencils came to be and I'd never known that this wasn't a model kit-specific tool.

My dad's dad was a draftsman, so I'm pretty sure this was his tool, originally. My dad was the one that had adapted it for modeling. I have no idea when this was made, but my dad's dad died when he was 16, and my dad was born in 1942, so it may have been in the 50s that this was purchased. I didn't know plastic was that common in the 50s, though.

11. rhubarbodendron

using it for glue is a pretty good idea. There are always tiny cracks and corners you can't reach that easily. It'll be perfect for reattaching the loosened veneer on my great-granny's sewing machine =) I was thinking of using a hypodermic syringe but wood glue is too tough for these.

Sibyl likes this.
  12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Found some of my old Decipher Star Wars CCG cards, AND found that some of them had actually soared in value.

Sibyl likes this.
  13. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh. I'd never thought of using it for liquid glue and there were times when that would have come in useful. I know we've still got one in the cupboard (somewhere)

Sibyl likes this.
  14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

My boss gave me something wonderful today. Ramagon!!!

Sibyl likes this.
  15. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that the new ram repellent spray?

Sibyl likes this.
  16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Lol, no! It's like Tinker Toys! And it's awesome!

Sibyl and Gary Mitchell like this.
  17. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. Now what am I going to do with ornery livestock?

18. Butters

My old muffin the mule turned up in
    my parents shed. Missing two legs.

19. Liza Johnson

Liza Johnson Ensign Newbie

Well, this board for a start. I am busy sorting a lot of my old stuff right now and some of that reminded me that this board and others were still about. Some of you may remember me (Santaman at least I hope), although probably more from TerranBBS than here. Could not for the life of me remember my old logins though.

20. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

*hugs Liza* Yeah, where have you been?