What ships SHOULD they have used in the Dominion War?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Arpy, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

In my head canon the “transwarp” drive did work…sorta. It’s why 24th Century ships are, per Janeway, twice as fast. And the reason for the updating of the warp scale—no warp 14 we saw in TOS.

But I mean it isn’t an exotic new drive (transwarp like the Borg use) or it wouldn’t need regular warp nacelles. It’s transwarp insofar as it’s faster (x2) than regular warp. Kind of like Reagan’s Star Wars program wasn’t actually about star wars.

Macintosh and Praetor like this.
  2. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it just me or does this site have a lot more ads than it used to. I’m on an iPhone and I’m constantly swatting away ads.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

A bit, yes.

4. Macintosh

Macintosh Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. I've said this elsewhere, but in my head "transwarp" is just a generic term for any prototypical next generation warp technology. The Excelsior's transwarp drive was just the prototype version of what became the standard warp drive technology we see in the 24th century. The NX-01 was the transwarp "Great Experiment" of her day.

David cgc and Shamrock Holmes like this.
  5. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, I think it used to mean one particular thing and then fell into common usage to refer to most "faster than warp" warp technologies of a similar type. There must be some reason why "quantum slipstream" wasn't called "transwarp."

6. Mres_was_framed!

Mres_was_framed! Captain Captain

I posted this below in another thread, but realized it applied to the discussion here. You can read my earlier post for more info.

Perhaps transwarp did not fail, but simply was not used due to the "fins" or "vents" on warp systems found on the Excelsior and beyond that may have been able to get "regular" warp systems to perform at higher rates of speed. Then, "transwarp" as described in Star Trek 3 remains an unexplored technological option until Voyager.

Praetor likes this.
  7. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thinking about the different size estimates for the Saber/Sabre class. Personally, I tend to favor a smaller size, using proven (instead of bleeding edge) technology. Allowing rapid construction, and reliability. And perhaps the one FC design that would see mass production.

In the novels the Saber seems to be moderately useful in non-combat roles, so I see continued production post-war.

Macintosh and Shamrock Holmes like this.
  8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Basically the alternative to the Defiant-class.

Macintosh and Shamrock Holmes like this.
  9. Macintosh

Macintosh Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Assuming the Sabre is ~190m long, she's still got quite a big internal volume because of how boxy she is – at ~300,000m³ she's got a substantially bigger internal volume than the Constitution-class or Miranda-class despite being significantly shorter! Easy to see how a ship that compact could be useful in non-combat roles as a sort of flexible super-scout or multi-role corvette.

I agree, I've sometimes thought about whether the Defiant should really have been a Sabre-class ship. I love the Defiant as a concept but I've never been entirely convinced by its odd external design.

Also, this is tangential, I don't normally like STO designs as a rule but the Sabre-class successor the Da Vinci-class from STO is gorgeous.

10. Tim Walker

To counter the Bug Ships:

1. Construction of very large number of (210 meter long) Centaurs.

2. Construction of a handful of Defiants.

Larger vessels would face two problems:

1. In general, you can't build them fast enough to compensate for the enormous losses.

2. The larger shipyards would at first be full of ships pulled from mothballs, for refit. Later, full of damaged ships.

Last edited: May 26, 2024 at 3:07 AM
  11. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You forgot the hardest lesson, crew replacement, the Allies had major staffing issues.

There are 2x major solutions:
    1) StarFleet creates their own "Attack Ship".

2) Space Superiority Fighters, given high enough "Fire Power", was enough to take out Jem Hadar Attack Ships.
    We saw fighters during the Dominion War, but was the design / load out done correctly?

IMO, it wasn't, the point of Fighters was to bring the fight to them and let StarShips fight at long range as mobile artillery.

Star Fighters should be doing the close range fighting and pinning / entrapping the larger ships into a zone and let larger StarShips be super long range Artillery Bombardment while Star Fighters are there to break down sub systems and to create vulnerabilities.

Odo showed that a smaller vessel like the RunAbout can take out a Jem Hadar Fighter, imagine a dedicated space fighter with more fire power was designed, it would work better.

Basically a "Fighter-Sized/Class" Defiant with StarShip grade Torpedoes.

Imagine how devastating that doctrine could be.

12. Tim Walker

I recently watched the Interceptor video. Could a new class of ship be designed and be put into production fast enough to be useful?

Reviewed the Trekyards episode on the Centaur. It was pointed out that there may have been only enough spare parts to throw together a handful of these ships.

Have to think that IRL people have been forced to make these sort of trade offs during war.

13. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even in the Venom Geek Media Interceptor Class video, StarFleet didn't get them into mass production until the tail end of the Dominion War.
    So they had to learn ALOT of hard lessons and do a "Crash Course" on making a "Attack Ship".

Hopefully we see more "Smaller Starships" like the USS ProtoStar & other ships of that size.

Of course the Interceptor Class is part of that StarShip size class.