What order should the TV series and movies be watched in?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by php111, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You'll want to watch the TOS-centric movies prior to watching TNG. The Final Frontier takes place roughly 78 years prior to TNG season two, in universe.

2. php111

php111 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi BillJ,

Thank you so much,

So, the order to watch everything in would be this order?

The 23rd Century Shows

The Original Series (TOS)
    Set in the 23rd century aboard aboard the starship enterprise.

The Animated Series (TAS)
    A continuation of TOS. It isn't always considered part of the official Star Trek continuity making it optional.

Movies 1-6 (The TOS Movies)
    Set after TOS and TAS TV shows. "The Wrath of Khan" follows on from the events of the TOS episode "Space Seed".

The 24th Century Shows

The Next Generation (TNG)
    Set in the 24th century about 70 years after the TOS Movies aboard a new starship enterprise with a new crew.

Movies 7-10 (The TNG Movies)
    Set after TNG TV show. "First Contact" follows on from the events of the TNG episode "The Best of Both Worlds".

Deep Space Nine (DS9)
    Set on a space station in the same era as TNG. Unlike other shows there is a lot of continuity between episodes making it difficult to jump into individual episodes. It's probably a good idea to watch some of TNG first.

Voyager (VOY)
    Set on a ship that's lost on the other side of the galaxy. Set in the same ear as TNG but the show is mostly self contained due to its location.

The Prequel Show

Enterprise (ENT)
    Set in the 22nd century making it a prequel however I recommend watching it last.

The Reboot Movies

Movies 11-12
    A reboot of the original series set in an alternate time line making them separate from the original and self contained.

3. BillJ

It's tricky here because there is some story overlap and some spoilers if you watch them in that order.

I'd probably go something like this:

TNG - seasons 1-5
    TNG - seasons 6-7/DS9 - seasons 1-2 (intermixed)
    DS9 - season 3
    Star Trek: Generations
    DS9 - season 4-5
    Star Trek: First Contact
    DS9 - season 6
    Star Trek: Insurrection
    DS9 - season 7

Here's a list of episodes in chronological order I found: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/startrek/st-episodes-1.html

4. php111

I'm sorry, but could you re-post that including all the series and all of the movies in watching order like above included all movies and series?

5. BillJ

Just cut-n-paste the above over you TNG/DS9 section. :techman:

6. BillJ

Done...

7. php111

Thank you so much!

8. php111

Star Trek: Nemesis goes after DS9 Season 7 and before VOY?

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd watch Nemesis after Voyager. It takes place after it and one of the main characters is in it.

10. php111

Thank you!

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Nice effort, but I see that he misplaced a few entries. Watching everything in actual chronological order like that sounds fun. I was about to suggest watching Enterprise first just to try something different.

12. BillJ

I'd honestly forgotten about Nemesis. :lol:

Agreed that it's best to watch after Voyager.

13. php111

LOL.

14. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

In complete honesty, the movies are only a fraction (if even that) as good as the TV series. If you want to get into Trek, I would do so through the series. For me, it is the only way. I can't speak for others of course.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I enjoyed the TOS movies more than the series. I cannot say the same for the TNG movies.... Nemesis being quite forgettable for example. ;)

16. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I just can't compare them.

The series, put together, comprises hundreds of hours worth of Trek (mostly good Trek, of course some stinkers). The movies you can blaze through pretty quickly and be done. For me, they don't contain all of the depth and arcs and real feeling of Trek, unless combined with the tv series. As stand-alone works of art, I don't think they are as well-done as the series. Just my opinion.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If you're planning to watch it all, this would be the right track IMO. Watch each series or series of movies in the chronological order that the series came out, roughly, which is what's listed above. There's not enough continuity between series to bother hopping around between different series and movies just to keep it strictly chronological either in-universe or by release date. You're better off riding the momentum of each series. TOS movies (I through VI) should be watched between TOS and TNG. TNG movies should be watched sometime after TNG.

ENT should definitely come last because a) as a prequel, it references the other series a lot, and b) many consider it not to be one of the better series...a bit too derivative of a couple of its predecessors...so it wouldn't be a great introduction to Trek.

TAS if very optional. If you find that you absolutely love TOS and want more of the same, go for it. Otherwise, it's relatively skippable.

Also, while the TOS DVDs are in airdate order, the best way to watch TOS is production order...though watching the original pilot, "The Cage", isn't recommended first, as it's largely represented in an early TOS episode, "The Menagerie".

Airdate order is better for TNG and subsequent Trek series...however, I think the DVDs do production order except in places where there's specific continuity between episodes that were shot out of order, which is good enough.

19. php111

20. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I used the Wikipedia version when making the video in my signature (spoiler alert), but I would have used that site if I knew about it. Watching everything concurrently is pretty neat IMO. Though I'd watch Enterprise after Nemesis, IMO it's the roughest series to get through but understanding the references help.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.