What needs to get off your lawn?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JirinPanthosa, Nov 5, 2019.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Whether we’re in our 20s or nearing retirement, there’s lots of new fangled things the kids are doing these days. And sometimes it just needs to get OFF OUR LAWN.

So, what needs to get off your lawn?

Video game DLC needs to get off my lawn. When I was your age, we bought the game, and then we had the entire game forever dag nabbit! That was the way it was and we liked it!

BillJ likes this.
  2. think

think About it! Premium Member

soo Not everyone knows DLC is downloadable content.. -- so yeah I need to delete all that partial content that was downloaded and not finished because that was when I had to pay the 4.99 to get the rest.. of the DLC just a waste really.. pay to win is yes wrong in my game.

Get off my Lawn with the constant ad explosion omg what .. am I to buy something because I saw the ad NO NO NO just a continuous stream of --- damn nonsense I don't want .. what is this about.. really but sell sell sell and buy buy buy I just want that off my lawn right now..

Good rant topic!!

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Democrats.

Don't waste my time. I stopped voting for your party in 2000.

ichab likes this.
  4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Right now, the snow here, followed by every idiot politician in Canada.

Admiral2 likes this.
  5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to feel that DLCs were more of an evolved version of an expansion pack, and in certain cases it is, but in most cases it seems they're used to sell frivoless content and the idea of a DLC feels abused. Heck, I remember Mafia 2 getting a two-part DLC and to continue the story if you bought the first one, you had to buy the second.

think likes this.
  6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Twitter! Someone send it back to Satan's ass where it belongs. Facebook,Instagram and smart phones as well. Nothing wrong with flip phones and email. Jason

Admiral2 likes this.
  7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Trump supporters. Take your Nazi shit somewhere else.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Antifa, as well.

Look, we get it. They're against fascism. But so are all the rest of us. EVERYBODY is against fascism, or at least should be.

Antifa is just anarchy by another name.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  9. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The garbage that the wind keeps blowing in from the neighborhood.

Kor

Admiral2 and think like this.
  10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Can you please clarify for me what functionally differentiates this thread from "Things that frustrate us all"? They seem pretty much the same to me, and we don't really need two separate threads on the same topic. So my instinct is to merge them, but I wanted to give you a chance to make an argument in case I'm overlooking something. Thank you.

Locutus of Bored and Brefugee like this.
  11. JirinPanthosa

The idea of this thread was specifically to be about things popular among younger people that you do not get but think you would not dislike if you were their age and grew up in current culture. Not to be a general "I don't like this thing" thread.

Like, imagine yourself seated on your porch, shaking your cane at those no good kids. What are those no good kids doing? :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    think likes this.
  12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Since I know you're just incredibly naive and easily manipulated but neither a fascist or a racist, I'll save you the next few years of pointless worrying and reassure you that Antifa will never be showing up on your lawn for you to kick them off. Nor will any other right wing boogeymen like non-existent basement dwelling pizza pedophiles. Or CFL bulbs or Philadelphia baseball fans or any other thing you've pointlessly fretted about in the past.

If all-caps "EVERYBODY is against fascism" then the past three years should have gone a lot smoother, don't you think? I mean, seriously, read a news article once or twice a year. Heard of Charlottesville? The Pittsburgh and Poway (CA) synagogue shootings? The mosque shootings in New Zealand? Several other planned or attempted attacks? Tons of neo-Nazi and other white supremacist marches and rallies across the country? Sites like Stormfront and 4Chan? Neo-Nazis like Richard Spencer being popular on the college lecture circuit? Our President refusing to fully denounce white supremacists and courting actual totalitarian strongmen allies around the world?

No, but as always you've sussed out the true threat. It's a bunch of kale-eating, Starbucks chugging Millennials who put on black masks to counterprotest honest-to-god neo-Nazis. Well played, MLB. Certainly couldn't kick anyone else off your lawn before Antifa; the people that literally have a better suggestion for who to kick off in the second part of their name.

And while the many disconnected and disparate groups that form Antifa do include some anarchists, they are not all anarchists, nor did your little non sequitur leap of logic above about how opposing fascism means anarchy make any damn sense.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Shaka Zulu, Brefugee, Stoo and 6 others like this.
  13. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

OK, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, most of the respondents do indeed seem to be using it as an "I don't like this thing" thread. However, if people are able to keep future responses within the guidelines you've laid out above, then I guess I'm fine with leaving it alone for now to see where it goes.

(As long as it doesn't turn into just an excuse to bash young people.)

14. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

When I turned 40 three months ago, I looked at myself in the mirror and thought to myself, "Look at me. No matter what the calendar says, I'm not middle-aged. I might be 40, but I'm a young 40." I'm not going to be one of those people who complains about "those damn kids."

15. JirinPanthosa

I mean, I'm 36 and most of the people I hang out with are in their late 20s/early 30s, and I'm athletic and play video games.

But I still see some of the popular things among teenagers today and just don't connect with them. There's nothing wrong with that, you don't need to be that guy who tries to stay current with what people twenty years younger than him are into. I don't get why people need to chronicle their every activity with selfies or brand themselves on social media.

Not liking the same things 20 year olds like doesn't mean you're losing anything you need to feel bad about losing.

Jayson1 and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  16. Mr. Laser Beam

@Locutus of Bored, I won't waste everyone's time griping about what you just said to me (in fact, most of it was right on the nose - except the part about Pizzagate, which I have never believed in, and the thing about CFLs, which I got over), I just want to say one thing, and please don't take this the wrong way:

I imagined that whole post being read in John Oliver's voice. In fact, from now on, whenever I read ANY of your posts, that's how they will sound to me. :lol: :techman:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    think, Admiral2 and Locutus of Bored like this.
  17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm fifty, and I complain about young people all the time, because I work in a college library and I'm forced to interact with them forty hours a week, and half of them say and do some of the dumbest things.

Who needs to get off my lawn? College students.

JirinPanthosa and think like this.
  18. JirinPanthosa

And what’s with the pop music kids are listening to nowadays? It’s all about rich narcissistic teenagers and 20 somethings bragging about how often they get whatever they want. “I see it, I like it, I want it, I got it”.

When I was that age, pop music was about having sex and how having sex was a good thing. Or about a beta male who likes this girl and would really like to have sex with her. That’s the way it was and we liked it!

Admiral2 likes this.
  19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Mr. Laser Beam