what kind of dog to get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RĂ¿cher, Dec 2, 2008.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Back when I still liked animals I had a collie. It ate everything, including the fence. It ran away. But, it was a quiet well trained dog. I'd recommend that.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

cairn terriers are not only cute, but they are better with being trained on a leash than any other breed of dog,bar none. Plus they are very very loyal and friendly. i miss my cairn. He was best friend for 15 years. No matter what mood I was in, he was always super excited to see me.

3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Shih Tzus pure or say cross with a Maltese? We have one and she's a definate character (and has grown up with a rottie so thinks she's a big dog too). Given her love of water we sometimes wonder if she's also part duck.

The coat gets long and does need clipping but there's no shedding.

The OP asked about JAck Russells but might not be a good choice - they need to be kept active or they get very destructive and one of the most common biters amongst the small breeds.

4. CookieMonster

CookieMonster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IcehoneyRose is somewhere in never never land
    If you want a good protective watch dog get a doberman or a rottweiler! Then again I am partial because all 3 that I have had in my life were/are wonderful dogs. Loyal and they have a need and desire to please their masters. Playful too. Hollywood has made them out to be monsters but they are wonderful sweet dogs.

You reap what you sew. Treat a dog badly you get a bad dog. Love and care for a dog and they will do the same for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rottweiler

They also herd children ;)

Edit to add: Direct from WIKI
    In the hands of a responsible owner, a well trained and socialized Rottweiler can be a reliable, alert dog and a loving companion. Rottweilers that are well trained and cared for can be as well behaved as any other dog and, in general, quick to learn. The Rottweiler is a working dog that is also good for guard duties.

5. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Because I can no longer resist behold the cuteness of the pom:

Here's my current pup Marco contemplating his next prank
    [​IMG]

Here's Coco who was an absolute angel.
    [​IMG]

6. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

My Shih Tzus are pure. I have two and they have extremely distinct and funny personalities. They LOVE to entertain, they are VERY smart and protective of one another. I also have four cats so they are tolerant of other animals. Personally, I have for most of my life been a cat-person. Since meeting these wonderful small dogs though, Shih Tzus will also ALWAYS be a part of my home.

Both mine HATE water though--especially baths. One INSISTS on being carried when it's raining outside also. Funny, FUNNY creatures . . .

7. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Black Labs are great dogs, but maybe not the greatest watch dogs.

Border collies are very intelligent but require a lot of exercise and stimulation. We had one as a kid and she would herd us in the backyard - running around us in ever shrinking circles. :lol: Best dog I ever had

8. Markas

Markas Captain Captain

I had a lhasa apso. I cannot recommend them.