What is this Star Trek Beyond publication?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Beyond-Kristin-Miller/dp/B08CWB7N4W

I stumbled across this Amazon USA webpage for a "Star Trek Beyond" paperback. Release date Tuesday 14 July 2020, the ISBN is 9798665987545, and the listed author is someone named "Kristin Miller". However, I cannot find any mention of this apparent...novelization?...on Memory Alpha or any startrek.com article. What gives?

Images for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

From the reviews on that Amazon page:

It looks like someone copy-and-pasted a closed-caption transcript and published it as a book, some kind of cheap scam. It should be reported.

jackoverfull likes this.
  3. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

A big clue when it comes to anything that looks like a novel/etc. based on a TV or film property listed on Amazon or similar sites:

If the publisher is listed as “Independently published,” you know you’re dealing with a scammer or - at best - fan fiction the author has posted for sale.

Amazon really sucks at policing this sort of thing.

jackoverfull likes this.
  4. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Sometimes Amazon also sucks are dealing with this sort of thing when it's reported.

DonIago and jackoverfull like this.
  5. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

looks like someone taking advantage of there having been no Beyond novel to make a fast buck! (could've at least attempted to write it tho)

Elwro likes this.
  6. mthompson1701

mthompson1701 Commander Red Shirt

I've tried to report things like this to S&S in the past out of courtesy to them. I stopped because they kept asking exactly what novel was being infringed on. Having not read every book, I can't tell them that. I figured with something like Star Trek in the title it should be obvious. I wish it wasn't so difficult, I was just trying to be helpful in case someone else missed it.

Elwro and jackoverfull like this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Report it to CBS as well, not just S&S.

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

It's got "Look Inside" enabled, and yes, this is exactly what it appears to be. (And it's not even a *good* transcript!)

[​IMG]

Too bad, too, because I actually really liked the cover! :( (Although I guess the fact that the "author"'s name doesn't appear on it anywhere should also be a tell.)

jackoverfull likes this.
  10. Christopher

My guess is it's an autotranslation into English (or a bad fansub) of a foreign-language dub of the film.

I assume the cover art is swiped from somewhere just like the rest, but I don't know where.

jackoverfull and Avro Arrow like this.
  11. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

The front cover was a promotional poster given away at IMAX screenings on opening night/weekend at certain theater chains. There's also a gold/blue variant. I don't recognize the image from the back cover.

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

jackoverfull and Avro Arrow like this.
  13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It never got a novel. Probably due to the previous movie novelisation not selling well. I mean they were just giving those away at a convention a few years ago. I think I was given 4 copies of that book

jackoverfull likes this.
  14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Against all odds, IDW released a comics adaptation of Wrath of Khan 27 years late, so I am holding out hope that in 2045 we'll get the Beyond novelization. And, I guess, the comic. We just need to hit the point where the staff of S&S Penguin Random HarperCollins Macmillan are people nostalgic for JJTrek.

(If they wanted to chuck in comics of Insurrection and Nemesis, too, I wouldn't object.)

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

I used to write to DC Comics' lettercol every few months after their ST III adaptation came out suggesting angles for how a ST II adaptation could be incorporated, as a flashback, into the ongoing storyline. For example, Saavik could have been telling the story of her involvement to Bearclaw, Konom, Bryce and Sherwood.

I was thrilled when IDW finally did do an adaptation. It wasn't quite what I had hoped it would be, but yeah! I was fulfilled.

I do really want an actual novelization of "Star Trek Beyond".

jackoverfull likes this.
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recall someone saying it was because of Beyond's rushed production following the cancellation of Orci's Into Oblivion (or whatever it was meant to be called)

17. Christopher

I'm not sure being rushed would account for it. As I recall, Pocket got the go-ahead to novelize the '09 movie quite late in the game, so Alan Dean Foster had to write it really quickly, which he was able to do because he's the king of novelizations. And the whole publication process was similarly accelerated to get the book out in time for the film's release. Even a rushed movie production would take considerably more time than they had for that novelization.

18. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

sounds like they just didnt care to do a novel figuring it wouldnt sell these days. (despite annoying trekkies with that Beyond shaped gap in their Trek movie novels shelf). but had they released a novel of Orcis Into Oblivion now maybe that wouldve sold well!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021