What is ''Real Star Trek''?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Overlord, Jan 30, 2018.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hear some fans say Discovery and the Kelvin verse movies are not real Star Trek, but then that begs the question, what is real Star Trek?

I wonder if people forget that this franchise was in trouble in the 2000s, Nemesis bombed at the box office and Enterprise went off the air after 4 seasons. I think what really killed the franchise back then was Voyager, Voyager took the TNG formula and ran it into the ground, it wasted a potentially interesting premise just to tell more TNG stories, only with far less interesting characters. Voyager killed my interest in an episodic Star Trek show, nothing seemed to matter, they would hit the reset button at the end of every episode and there seemed to be no consequences to people's actions.

The thing is TOS is different from TNG (when TNG tried to ape TOS in its first seasons, it was terrible) and both were different from DS9. Voyager tried to ape TNG through out its run and it was terrible and Enterprise only became good when it broke from the TNG formula in season 3.

Some fans may not like Discovery and the Kelvin movies, but the fact is the franchise was in bad straits in the 2000s and needed a change, you can argue whether the changes in the Kelvin movies and Discovery were good, but that does not change the fact change was necessary.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

No such thing as "real" Star Trek. It isn't real at all.
    :vulcan:

CRM-114, Betelnut, Vger23 and 3 others like this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure someone's going to waltz in and wax on philosophically poetic about optimism, a better future, intellectualism, utopian values, Gene's Vision and associate horseshit, but when you get down to it, the ultimate deciding factor everyone uses in determining what is or isn't "True" Star Trek is quite simply this:

If I Like it, it's True Star Trek. If I Don't Like it, it isn't True Star Trek.

BillJ, Daddy Todd and GNDN18 like this.
  4. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Real Star Trek (also known as A Canon) is the four series(ST, TNG, DSN, and VOY) and ten movies (TMP - Nemesis).

I completely agree that Star Trek needed a change. But it's possible to change and stay at least reasonably consistent with what came before.

Horizons96 likes this.
  5. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a fan of Voyager but I don't believe the series ran the franchise to the ground. I believe there were circumstances which lead Trek to a dud which I believe will eventually do Star Wars in. In the 90's there was an over saturation of the brand: DS9 deserved to have its run uninterrupted without a so-called 5th network launch and the inclusion of another Star Trek show the network had to push to the limits.

TNG movies were on full throttle while having it in the same timeline as DS9 and Voyager which was a huge mistake. All of this caused Trekfans to separate and form their own circle which hampered the brand, and I haven't even brought up the addition of the then Sci-Fi Channel's Star Trek: Special Edition series which was very popular.

There was too much Star Trek and as fans had decided to stick to one show; it hurt word of mouth based on the individual's bias. The failures of each series' and movies attendance ended up hurting the upcoming "Enterprise" which didn't had a chance from the start. So it would be a hard for a new viewer to get into those shows.
    But to answer your question, "What is 'Real Star Trek'?" It all depends on what the studio feels is authentic. When the Studio labels their property Star Trek, it is real.

6. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed, but that was not the question, there's a difference between "True Star Trek" and "Real Star Trek".

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    :rolleyes:

Part of a show's popularity can be measured by how it inspires the fans. Here's an interesting set of numbers from fanfiction.net, regarding the number of Star Trek stories posted there. Of course the numbers are not exact, but have a look:

Source.

These numbers pertain to the approximate number of stories posted in each Star Trek category. The "Other" encompasses the nuTrek movies, the TOS and TNG movies, and whatever else can't be neatly slotted into the regular categories. I'm not sure where TAS stories fit into this (stories that include the TAS characters of Arex, M'ress, and Walking Bear or deal with TAS episodes, ie. "Yesteryear"). I'm also unsure where crossovers fit into these numbers. I've noticed some nuTrek stories being improperly posted in the TOS section.

Notice which series has the most stories posted? That's right. VOYAGER - the series that you blame for "killing" the franchise. These are not individual chapters; they're stories, some of which run over 100 chapters and explore the characters and alternate takes on some of the episodes. Quite a few are alternate takes on "Endgame", and there are certainly a wide variety of views on what happens after the ship returns to Earth... if it does return to Earth at that time. Some stories have Janeway ignore the Admiral's nagging and avoid engaging with the Borg, so the journey takes much longer.

When it comes to rewatching Star Trek episodes, I noticed that unless it's a particular TNG episode I like, I don't bother. I turned DS9 off the other day less than 5 minutes into it, because Jadzia just really bores me - and it's been over a decade since I last watched any of that series.

So... your objection is that each series drew on its predecessors? At least Voyager didn't shoehorn Worf into it somewhere. That really would have made it unwatchable. I found B'Elanna's struggle to be more accepting of her Klingon heritage to be a more interesting story arc than Worf's constant bellowing and pontificating about HONOR!!!!!!!.

What a shame the changes resulted in such inferior shows that I don't care if I ever see the rest of Enterprise, I actually hope they don't make any more nuTrek movies, and I'm surprised that I was actually able to tolerate the last two Disco episodes. Barely. Maybe they should have had the entire series take place in the Mirror Universe. That way they could get around just how NOT like TOS this really is, and how there is no way in hell it can be reconciled with a mere 10-years-in-the-future TOS, with Kirk as Captain of the Enterprise.

8. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only "the cage" (TOS pilot) is real star trek.

Well, except for that one dubious shot in the 32nd minute, of course.

GNDN18, Campe and uniderth like this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever you grew up watching. It's nostalgia, nothing more.

In real life, anything the rights holders slap the name on.

Balok's Decoy and Amaris like this.
  10. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek is different things to different people. I am not about to suggest that anyone can make a judgment for me about what that is, nor can I make that judgment for anyone else. There are 750 or so Star Trek filmed adventures. I cannot believe for one second that anyone finds joy in exactly the same number of episodes, movies, series, what have you. That's what makes Trek special. Whether you love the characters, the technology, the optimistic vision of the future, there is something people can find as "Real Star Trek." Doesn't mean we all have to agree on that definition.

So, I honestly hate this question. Because it opens up a lot of judgmental answers that I find problematic.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    TrekNut87 and 1001001 like this.
  11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

And it seems like we've discussed this for years and years and years....

Nyotarules, Lord Garth and Campe like this.
  12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Star Trek is what ever you want it to be. There are a myriad of flavours to it, some people will like some and some will like others.

But what one should always remember, no one is wrong and no who is right in what flavours of Star Trek they like.

Campe likes this.
  13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Star Trek is Star Trek. What can be done?

Seriously, though, all of the Star Treks are Star Trek, because the people who create and control the property can and do have the authority to say as such. Whatever one holds as their opinion is irrelevant outside of their own mind. One could drop a 10,000 word essay on why one particular series is not Trek, and it won't have any effect on the fact that it is only their opinion and nothing more.

Campe likes this.
  14. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I know that The Chronicles of the Intrepid is not the Real Star Trek.

15. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

What is Star Trek? Character driven adventure stories that take place in the future where humans in a federation of planets explore the galaxy and try to coexist with alien species.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. It's basically a no-brainer, really.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

"Folks, believe me, I don't know what Real Star Trek is but Real Star Trek is the best Star Trek you've ever seen. No one makes better Star Trek than the people who make Real Star Trek. That I can tell you. But no money in the future? Sad! And bumps on foreheads. What is that? Can you imagine looking at that on your TV every week? But that's okay. I like Star Trek. Real Star Trek, folks. See all those beautiful women Captain Kirk kissed? 10s, all of them. And I love the Ferengi! Any Ferengi fans out there?! I love the Ferengi. Let me tell you any Star Trek that treats the Ferengi poorly is Fake Star Trek! It's Fake Star Trek, people."

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Vger23 and Amaris like this.
  18. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Amaris likes this.
  19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really. Whether or not Star Trek is Real or True is largely determined by whether or not a person likes it.

20. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has Star Trek ever not been in dire Straits? Think about it.

Edit: Oh, there was a question. Real Star Trek is being able to say "I'm right. You're wrong."

I Win. You lose

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018