What if the JJ timeline ends up as the parallel universe in Mirror Mirror?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by drew, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Linked by the various crossover events, certainly. What force is keeping generations of families coming together in the same way for decades though? Miles, Sisko and the others should be completely different people!

2. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think The Halkans created the Mirror universe at all. They were the same in both realities even if the mirror ones were a little haggard from Empire abuse perhaps! There was obviously a rift in that area of space between the universes damaged by the Ion storm as Scotty had surmised. Maybe that was one of many just such universes the landing party might have encountered too!

I'm only talking about the TOS version here and not the DS9 and ENT versions which just capitalised on the original story.
    JB

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  3. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, except for genetics, they pretty much were.

4. Mytran

Unfortunately, genetics are the one thing that should have changed most dramatically of all.

5. JonnyQuest037

Yeah, but if you get rid of the concept of the regular characters having startlingly different or evil counterparts, you kill half the fun of the Mirror Universe episodes. That's just something that you have to buy into for the sake of enjoying those episodes.

Kor and BillJ like this.
  6. Mytran

Which would be fine (our regular actors portrayed different characters for those episodes) except that the characters and names of the evil doppelgangers are kept exlplicity the same as the regular ones, plus they are recognised on sight by visitors from the regular Trek universe.

All of which points to one inescapable conclusion - someone or something is manipulating the mirror universe in order to keep births and other events so closely tied to the Prime timeline. Who could that possibly be.....?
    :devil::devil::devil:

7. JonnyQuest037

...Everyone's parents met and reproduced under the same or very similar circumstances? Occam's razor & all that.

Really, what part of the word parallel is giving you trouble here? ;)

8. Mytran

OK, since we don't see for certain that absolutely everyone in the regular timeline has an exact match in the Mirror universe I concede that it is possible, if only for the few (main) characters that we meet.

But I maintain that it is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very unlikely!
    :D

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Kirk assassinated Pike for command of the Enterprise in the Mirror Universe according to the computer...

10. JonnyQuest037

It's not an alternate timeline. It's a parallel universe.

Like the episode says. Multiple times.

11. Mytran

Right, one that has a very different history to the regular universe. So what force it is that keeps pulling people's parents together at the exact same times to conceive children at the exact same moment to keep producing the exact same people in both universes? Even if they started off similar at one point, the events of the MU and the motivations of the Mirror characters should put the crew and even the mission of the Enterprise at wildly different points at the time of the first crossover, not to mention centuries later.

As I said upthread, technically not impossible, but...

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget that there are an infinite number of parallel universes. For every reality in which the same people exist, there are infinite realities with completely different people, or no people at all. Kirk and Co. just happened to stumble upon one in which the right threads of history fell into place to produce twisted versions of familiar people.

...no doubt due to the involvement of those meddling Halkans! :p

Kor

shapeshifter likes this.
  13. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now I'll just repeat what Kor just said, but the idea of parallel universes is that there is an infinite number of them so that some of them are very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very similar to others.

But I am getting a kick out of the "Halkins did it" scenario.

To the OP: that's an interesting bit of fanfiction, but I see no reason whatever to go there. Indeed, I think the JJ timeline should have their own Mirror universe.

14. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, now that I think of it, who says that the Mirror universes visited in DS9 and ENT were the same Mirror universes as in TOS?

15. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I figure that some sort of locality law exists that makes it technobabbly easier to get to a similar universe as opposed to entering a radically different one. Imagine how colors are grouped on a color wheel. On such a color wheel, for example, the color Orange is closer to Red than the color Green.

Poltargyst and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  16. JonnyQuest037

In one of the deleted scenes of ST09, Spock Prime theorizes that perhaps fate is steering the Enterprise crew to come together even in a timeline where their life circumstances were very different. Perhaps something like that was in operation for the MU as well.

But I tend to prefer the simpler explanations, and I'm fine with just assuming that Kirk & co. were transported into a parallel universe where certain things were very similar to their own. After all, that was what helped them exchange places with their counterparts in the first place. Perhaps there was another version of the MU where an Enterprise crewed by completely different people encountered an ion storm, but no transfer took place because they didn't have a Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, and Uhura beaming up at that exact moment to exchange places with the Prime crew. So Captain Bradford, Dr. Miller, Chief Engineer Burrows, and Communications Officer T'Pek continued on their mission to conquer the Halkans without interference. :evil:

17. Mytran

I must admit that most of my incredulity comes from DS9's repeated jaunts into the Mirror Universe. Taking Mirror Mirror in isolation I can believe that Kirk et al stumbled into a parallel universe which happened to have enough counterparts to their regular selves...JUST ABOUT. ;)

18. JonnyQuest037

Considering all the various contradictory sequels we've seen to the original "Mirror, Mirror" episode (the DS9 eps, the TNG novel Dark Mirror, the DC Comics Mirror Universe Saga, the Marvel Comics one-shot), I suppose there are a few different Mirror Universes out there. But of course, for each one of those to exist as we were shown, each one would've had to be visited by a Kirk & crew from the Prime Universe... ;)

19. Mytran

Well, given all the numerous parallel universes out there (not to mention divergent timelines, if you believe in such things) there's probably a good supply of Kirks who could do all the interfering required for the different "evil" universes :techman:

Kor and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  20. JonnyQuest037

Excuse me, I've got to go prep my "Legion of Extraordinary Kirks" series proposal for IDW... ;)