What if Earth doesn't rejoin the Federation?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a good thing I didn't claim they were.

It's a good thing I didn't accuse them of kneecapping an organization of their own making.

What I did say was that they ought to know the value of international unity.

I think asking whether the European Union is a product of post-WW2 international unity or a factor in post-WW2 international unity is a bit like asking which side of the scissors does the cutting.

I do agree that the European Union has a democratic deficit, but the United Kingdom had elected representation in the European Parliament same as any other E.U. Member State. The answer there is to stay in the E.U. and reform it to be more democratic, not to run away. The U.S. had a democratic deficit when our Senate was unelected, but the answer there was not for states to secede.

In addition, the U.K. frankly had more autonomy within the E.U. than other E.U. Member States by virtue of its retention of the pound-sterling rather than using the euro. The U.K. got to keep its own monetary policy, which is more than most of the E.U. Member States got. The U.K. got a sweetheart deal most E.U. Member States didn't get and that still wasn't good enough for them.

But then, leaving the E.U. was never about national autonomy. It was about anti-immigrant hatred. Which is why hate crimes soared after the Brexit vote went through.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Repeating my post from the previous page:
    I'm trying to avoid closing this down since the OP is not responsible for the sidetrack into Brexit, but the frequent notifications on this are starting to get irritating.

To the person doing the notifications, you need to grow a thicker skin, because as far as internet debate goes this has been mild and respectful. If you're going to engage on controversial real world political issues, you need to be able to handle some pushback on it.

To everyone else, I get that the subject matter calls for real world comparisons, but for now, can we please try and remain focused on the the fictional Earth's Earthxit? Gaiago? Terran Takeoff?

Ovation, Lord Garth and Phoenix219 like this.
  3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Earth will probably petition to reenter if it’s proven to them it’s once again stable. Maybe not immediately but eventually. Especially if a common threat emerges.

But both seem to be perfectly fine without the other.

Remember Earth did not leave until after the Burn, when the Federation was not a stable entity with functional infrastructure.

Once that infrastructure is back, Earth will realize it’s just more efficient not to have to be completely self sufficient in all commodities, and safer when you have allies to protect you against big threats.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree, but I don't think that's the whole story. I think the other part of the story is that U.E. has internalized a lot of nativism and isolationism, and its political culture is going to need to shed that kind of xenophobia again before they can rejoin the Federation.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably so and there will be little commentary on it, "Captain's log, supplemental. We have delivered the Ambassador from Earth in anticipation of welcoming them back in to the Federation. Leaders are both sides are eager to resume relations and it promises to be fruitful. The Discovery is now enroute to a recent distress call..."

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.