What happens to TWOK if TMP keeps the TOS uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by UssGlenn, Aug 23, 2021.

1. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because TWOK hit a cord with audiences which the outfits were in; it's hard for me to believe these admirations be alive if those outfits were in TMP. To some, not me, not on par with Star Trek's best movies, but I honestly do not believe the producers intentions were to make Star Wars but to explore the human condition and making cinema, A film, and not a popcorn movie.

Galileo7 likes this.
  2. STEPhon IT

My experience with Star Trek happened when I was 6 yrs old in the early 2000's watching my father's laserdisc set of TOS, so what was seen on Star Trek with Kirk's command tunic was yellow and some scenes would appear a mustard color. I love wearing gold to this day and that color of the tunic??? Sorry, aint it! When I was 10, which I believed I 1st joined the TrekBBS, my Dad had some business to do in Washington state for his longed career occupation and took me along. He treated me to a SF expo in Seattle since he knew I was addicted to everything TOS*. There displays of TOS outfits from Season 1 +2, and the updated one for 3; what I saw changed my thinking forever and it etched in my brain that Kirk's command duty uniforms was not yellow but in reality green, a bright lime-ish color later to discover it was called Avocado.

It was there where I researched and noticed many people had blinds eye on the matter where I thought it should be properly restored in it's proper context. Then the remastered editions came along on TV and I was very pleased to see Kirk's tunic restored. The Gold nonsense came from DS9's Tribble farce and I took it as that. I'm still keeping the flame LOL!!!

This could've been MKUltra brainwashing since one of my brothers liked Star Trek at one time and moved on to dating. Plus, my mother was never a Star Trek fan, LOL!!!

publiusr, Commander Troi and Damian like this.
  3. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I'll admit that I once thought the Kirk's tunic was yellow/gold as well. The newer hi-def TV's and remastering technology has shown that the color is what you noted, a lime-green color.

Commander Troi and STEPhon IT like this.
  4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's well-known that Meyer was going for an ornate and archaic "Prisoner of Zenda" kind of look with the monster maroons, to fit his "Hornblower in Space" vision. And with this approach, he brushed aside the sleek, streamlined aesthetic of the future that Trek had been presenting since 1966. The monster maroons stick out like a sore thumb.

Kor

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a fan of the Monster Maroons. Too impractical for a working uniform aboard ship. Maybe as a formal, dress uniform. I do like the bomber jacket, however. But overall, the uniform sticks out, as Kor says.

The TMP uniforms and the Kelvin-era uniforms are the most USN like, where service persons have a variety of uniforms for aboard ship and/or ashore.

Of course, I prefer the TOS uniforms the most. Followed by the Kelvin and Disco version of those uniforms. Then the TMP ones. Finally the first two seasons of TNG.

burningoil and Commander Troi like this.
  6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I prefer the TMP uniforms to pretty much all the others.

Then again, I never had to wear one...

Galileo7 and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

In-universe, they would have been very convenient since clothing was materialized directly onto the wearer (we see that with the Ilia probe).

Kor

Commander Troi likes this.
  8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'm inclined to think that even without TMP, TWOK would have still featured a uniform that would have been similar to the "monster maroons," but maybe the jacket wouldn't be maroon at all perhaps.

"Beastly blues?"

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the TMP uniforms would work better with a color style like the admiral's uniform, with two tones rather than single color jumpers.

These two uniforms are lessons in extremes. Honestly, there is a good uniform design in the middle ground.

10. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The pajamas remark was really aimed at the incredibly embarrassing onesies.

[​IMG]

TNG would make this same mistake with the first variant of uniforms. Thankfully they opted for two-piece uniforms starting in S3, although not for the extras or women.

Star Trek was pulpy space opera from the very start. Star Trek is not 2001. That was the mistake of TMP, trying to turn Trek into something it wasn't. At least 2001 left you with a lot of questions to ponder, whereas TMP answers everything with text surface exposition wrapped in a nice bow.

Commander Troi and fireproof78 like this.
  11. STEPhon IT

It's embarrassing to you, I didn't find them that way at all. What I saw, again, appeared practical for extended amount of time on board a spaceship in deep space where a crew has to perform day to day operations. You want to see embarrassing lets see Scotty perform his engineering duties wearing Meyer's great form of military wear.

It was not a mistake, lets not give the impression TMP was some flop, it wasn't. The only issues were was the ridiculous expectation of the studio who actually thought they could replicate the box office numbers of Star Wars. I don't knock down Roddenberry and Wise to reach for something as great as 2001; they had the hindsight his audiences were growing and there was a hint Trekfans and kids of that time had an interest in science and SF based stories. I am glad, as of my age today, Star Trek: The Motion Picture was made because they're too many movies in the vein of Star Wars and I am glad it attempted to ask the question, "Why are we here, what is our purpose, is it all we are what it is to be, and what are we after?"

Wise was making cinema which happen to have Star Trek in it, and it is a shame Star Trek fans are embarrassed by it, but not embarrassed by seeing our heroes wear very uncomfortable outfits even when the casts' waist lines were increasing and in the last movie exposing themselves to be bigoted racists.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Warped9, Damian and Pauln6 like this.
  12. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Discovery and Into Darkness have slightly more militarised TMP style uniforms with padded shoulders and proper boots. It's not as if TMP style uniforms can't be tweaked to be a bit better.

But it's the Star Trek movie thst has dated the least. Yes, it needed better pacing, I would have liked to see a proper landing party following Spock with a bit more 'action' as V'Ger tries to 'determine their purpose' and the final scenes in V'Ger's brain take aaaages but overall, I think it's great.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  13. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously? I like the movie, but McCoys outfit when he beams up alone...

ATimson likes this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the pastels and beiges just feel very dated to me. TMP is fine as a film, but the uniforms didn't really work for me, aside from Kirk's and the field jackets.

Honestly, if TWOK had kept TMP type uniforms I think we would have seen some minor changes, possibly a little more ornamentation. I would prefer the rank stripes to continue on, but have a little more distinction in the division colors. I certainly didn't like the huge variety that TWOK had for division colors, but I think the TMP ones could pop a bit more. I think there is a fan art running around of TMP but utilizing TOS division colors, or some variant.

Personally, I think the TWOk uniforms work great as dress uniforms if the changed had the ranks were done, and possibly not the intense red, in addition to the division color turtleneck.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That's one costume in a sea of them.

16. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A very 70s looking sea...

17. Pauln6

Well, the outfits in the foyer are very 70s too, very Logan's Run, but it's one scene and full of aliens too. It feels multi-cultural.

Plus McCoy had been studying with the Fabrini. People shouldn't disrespect their fashion. It's racist. ;-p

If TMP uniforms had been used in TWoK it would have lightened the palette of the movie considerably. It's hard to visualise.

18. Maurice

Foyer? You mean the air tram station?

19. Pauln6

Yeah - wafty outfits and bare chests.

In terms of TOS uniforms in TWOK, Nichelle did want to wear a skirt in TSFS but I am not sure she would have wanted it quite as short as TOS.

20. Maurice

Struck a chord is the phrase you are looking for. There are no cables involved. :)