What happened to Jennifer Lien?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Infern0, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a rainbow of lines.

Void.

Intuitive.

interactive.

sentient.

You could only argue for the basic sentient rights for AI above a particular level of sophistication, so it's ookey dokey to keep holoslaves if they're idiots below that level of sophistication, so why not only make holograms below that level of sophistication and forbid any of the so called already "real" photonic people the right to procreate? (That's rhetorical for fucks sake. We all know what happens when you tell someone that they are forbidden to have children.)

Why build sentient holograms if they won't work like a slave?

Imagine if they ONLY built and sold new cars that could not go faster that 35 mph.

They could fire half the police force that is only there to catch idiots who speed.

Alternatively imagine that your speedometer was connected to your bank account and deducted fines for speeding immediately as you did them, and really efficient citizens could get discounts for prepaying for all speeding they knew they wanted to do for the next month ahead of time.

The government needs us to speed other wise they lose out on a very profitable revenue stream, and it's not like we're all just going to learn to obey the law one day, because if we did our local governments would file for bankruptcy a month later.

Zimmerman claimed that his LMH was going to be stock piled with scenarios to play out with the crew based on Bashir's life which would keep them from going space crazy... 1st there's a limited number of scenarios in his factory settings that were preloaded, just like any video game, and second if the ship is divided into class strata's where many of the crew do not talk to one another, an LMH or EMH could repeat the same entertaining scenario to different samplings of the crew...

If this was true... Then Zimmerman or someone on his staff wrote Photons be free, the doctors novel, and programmed him to eventually go through the process of thinking that he wrote it, and so would have every other EMH on every other Star Ship, because the hole hololiberation movement was just a diversion to quell space madness and shouldn't have been taken seriously by anyone.

Also that means that the publishers were fake playing out their own part in the script.

However, I doubt anyone told that Admiral that his time was being wasted being asked to adjudicate over this lark.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it would be hilarious if after all the EMH's advocacy in the end he wins and BOOM laws are made so no holograms ever hover near legal sentience again.

3. Guy Gardener

This was addressed on he show, when the Cult leader killed a ship full of fleshies to liberate a pair of holograms as intelligent as an electric toothbriush.

4. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

"And so castles made of sand
    melts into the sea
    eventually"

"Castles Made Of Sand"
    Jimi Hendrix

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

This was part of the plot of a novel i read years ago about a robot who became sentient and went through court to be declare "a person," the legal process takes two centuries. At some point the company that produced him changes the brains of their robots so no other robot could ever become self-aware.

The Positronic Man.

:)

6. Guy Gardener

The Bicentennial Man?

(Retitled between short story and padded novel version perhaps?)

Sesame Street should be stuffing Asmiov into the minds of all 5 year olds.

7. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

That was Isaac Asimov, Bicentennial Man. I loved that story.

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

The voice was pretty recognizable, as was the character design (Elle looked just like Lien did, a trait that began on Batman: The Animated Series and continued into a lot of other shows, including Batman Beyond.

And no matter what people say, the movie's great.