What dream tech would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gingerbread Demon, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

OK fun so what dream tech would you like to see developed?

One idea I had and I've had this idea for years, even wrote short stories around it as a teenager when I was more prolific before the internet.

A machine that could receive from your mind your thoughts and construct videos of what you are thinking of, say you're having the most awesome thoughts of a movie you'd like to see made and you have the thoughts and visuals in your head this machine would produce them and output them into a readable format on storage media, at the time I wrote the idea down videotape was the go to medium but now we can substitute that for say solid state memory or optical disks.

So people would produce their own entertainment and movies and because of the possibilities of the human mind some of these films might become popular or hits.

Anyway that was my dream tech idea from 1988.

publiusr likes this.
  2. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The force field tech that we saw in Explorers. That blue sphere that was controlled by a computer. I’d like that.

It could be used for as form of propulsion, and also a construction technique. Move massive amounts of Earth with minimal effort. Bore tunnels, shift landmasses. Irrigate the desserts and make them green.

Use it to strip Venus of its thick toxic atmosphere, and direct comets at it to create Venusian oceans in a matter of days. Even correct it’s spin so it’s more suitable to Earth life.

That’s what I’d like.

3. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

4. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

A way to transfer my being into a machine/computer/whatever.. would also be fun to have it inside a T-800 I must admit... :biggrin:

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  5. Butters

A new type of astronomy that doesn’t rely on EM radiation. Some sort of real time scanner that can work at any distance. We could point it anything and see what’s there.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personal Rapid Transit.

7. Gingerbread Demon

OK that's kind of exciting to see. But thinking back on what I wrote I think part of it was the movie brainstorm that made me think up my idea because they had a similar device in that movie but it recorded emotions as well as the thoughts so other people could experience what people felt at the time of recording. The kind of thing I was thinking of was a way for people to create their own movies and videos merely by thinking about it.

OK so I'm not the only one that has thought that.

8. Asbo Zaprudder

We're already doing cosmic ray (charged particle as well as EM X and gamma ray), neutrino, and gravitational wave astronomy to various degrees of sophistication. Perhaps we'll add dark matter and dark energy to those. Hovever, we're probably going to remain limited to the speed of light. There is no such thing as "real time" if you mean a universal "now". Event timing depends on your relative state of motion.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  9. Butters

That’s the dream part, universal now. A snapshot of everything everywhere, as it is. I want to know what’s beyond the observable limit of the universe and know the true scale of it all.

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Can't help you there I'm afraid. Of course, there are some who claim that the cosmic microwave background exhibits features that indicate colisions with neighbouring universes and even violent events before the big bang. As far as we can tell, our universe is much, much larger than what we can observe.

11. Santaman

I always assume that the universe itself is infinite and that a big bang is just a small local event.. I sort of thing the big bang is just a weak spot in the fabric of the universe and that energy breaks through which then condensates and so on and so on until we're at the point we are now, I bet there are more of these events happening but too far away for us to see.

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  12. Asbo Zaprudder

Yeah, I think Max Tegmark's book Our Mathematical Universe describes it quite well -- there are big bangs happening all the time outside our horizon. This prediction is based on the mathematical properties of the inflaton field.

Santaman likes this.
  13. Butters

The way I’ve come to understand the multiverse is that our universe is just one of an infinite number of other universes, each having a Big Bang, evolving it’s own physical rules, it’s own time, and death.

I’m not sure I follow how we collide with other universes, but I’ve seen a thought provoking artists impression of how it might look on the CMB.

Things like the End of Greatness fire my imagination, and what systems and patterns might emerge over cosmic mega scales.

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  14. Asbo Zaprudder

Yeah, different universes might well have different vacuum properties with a different zoo of fundamental fields and associated particles. That a dozen and a half or so quantum fields are the most fundamental things is only our current standard model of reality of course. It might turn out to be as flawed as old ideas such as we now believe phlogiston, caloric and the ether to be. The standard model requires quite a lot of parameters to be inserted with no idea if they are merely randomly selected or if a more fundamental theory would explain their values.

Butters likes this.
  15. Santaman

I think that someday we'll run into our limitations and simply can't come up with a theory to explain certain things/events, guess there are a few things here and there even today that no theory can explain. (yet)

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Our ambition is to create a unified theory of physical extremes for which we might never have direct experimental evidence, such as what really happens in place of the mathematical singularities of big bang and black hole theory. However, as physical beings, we are limited by our senses and imagination in our everyday realm of experience. We might well be too limited physically to imagine the sort of mathematics that would be appropriate. Perhaps it'll require AI to explore mathematical realms that our primate brains can't handle. The problem might then reduce to trying to comprehend the results that are returned.

17. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

for purely personal reasons, a cheap reliable rotary artificial heart.

but being more empathetic, cheap easily producible desalinization

Butters likes this.
  18. marsh8472

marsh8472 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want one of these:

[​IMG]

basically something to keep my place perfectly clean without me having to do it.

Butters likes this.
  19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Anti gravity to do away with rockets. Not gonna happen.

20. Gingerbread Demon

Never say never.

They said cars could never go past 30mph
    They said the speed of sound was an impenetrable barrier
    They said a man can't go into space