What do you diehard TOS fans think of the new movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by treklover, May 12, 2009.

1. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What war? The Federation was at peace at that point--the Next Big Threat, Nero's renewed attack on the UFP, was three years away and suspected by no one.

And Kirk wasn't looking for trouble, he was looking for pussy. Since when is that a bad thing?

2. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Sorry, I meant that they had just been through one major incident, like as in where Kirk's dad died...
    P**y or a fight- same thing, tension relieved.;)

3. Brutal Strudel

As Spock said when asked about he dissipation of his need to schtup T'Pring upon "killing" Kirk: "It must have been the combat."

4. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

No he did not, Spock ordered them to head to the rest of the fleet when they were talking about what to do next. Stafleet didn't call them up and tell them to do that. Kirk pointed out that in the time needed to do that Earth aka where the Federation Council and Starfleet command are would be destroyed so they should try to STOP Nero before he destroyed ANOTHER planet.

When has that ever NOT been the case st least this time they weren't corrupt bastards.

THATS ALWAYS BEEN THE CASE WITH KIRK DID YOU NOT WATCH STAR TREK III OR SOMETHING!?

That was 25 years ago and no the army is not aloud to beat the shit out of civies for hitting on another member of said army, what kind of armed forces outside of a dictatorship does that anyway.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I rather like Final Frontier as a book. There's interesting stuff in it although I think some of the continuity and timing is off. There are ideas in it I like, but I don't accept it gospel.

Best Destiny was a bit much, though. I didn't like it near as much as its predecessor.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

That's because it takes its dating from Fred & Stan Goldstein's "ST Spaceflight Chronology", a ST:TMP tie-in. The current dating system wasn't possible until Data mentioned an Earth date in TNG's "The Neutral Zone".

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ONLY thing we have Re: 'young Kirk' from TOS is "a stack of books with legs" (from Where No Man Has Gone Before; and his run ins with Finnigan and an affair with an older worman from Shore Leave.

Now, NOTHING in the new Star Trek film contradicts any of that. Hell, young Kirk in the bar states he'll graduate in 3 years instead of the usual four and DOES IT (and no I'm not talking about the promotoion in the film as before that Kirk IS a senior set to graduate after only three years). You can't do that without major work or study, thus he probably was STILL "a stack of books with legs." Finnigan and the older woman affair probably still happened as well, so please show me where the TOS info on 'young Kirk' was contradicted in the film?

9. Hartzilla2007

You know interestingly enough the writers of the movie said they got their inspiration for young Kirk from a Carey novel I think Best Destiny was the one.

10. Brutal Strudel

This Kirk is hardly "positively grim." He's cocky, jokey and arrogant--he has more in common with Finnegan and Gary Mitchell than he does with the young Kirk as he is described in TOS.

The "out in three years" thing? Already addressed this: the movie folds that into the entitled pretty boy brat thing. We hear it but we never see Kirk working his ass off to get there. Instead, we see a guy who uses "study" as a euphemism for fucking so often that his best friend swats it away with a "my ass" when he hears it.

And hey, this is totally keeping in with the zeitgeist, where bright kids think they should get As for being bright rather than for working. I'm a teacher, I've seen it again and again.

But you know what? You can argue that the two interpretations are not mutually exclusive, that the humorless cadet TOS implicitly established over its first season is consistent with the cocksure punk we see in XI. Because it was implicit, there's no way to explicitly refute it. But it's still revisionism. If you're cool with that, so am I. ;)

11. Hartzilla2007

Yes lets ignore the different upbringing thing.

12. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I do not see him as grim with a stack of books. Without a LOT of seasoning, Khan would defeat him easily, if he were the next villain.

13. Hartzilla2007

Kirk only beat Khan the first time becuase McGivers stoped Khan from killing him in the decompression chamber, and the second time becuase Khan wanted to gloat and get the Genesis data instead of just finishing off the Enterprise. What the hell did seasoning have to do with anything?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  14. Brutal Strudel

Um, I brought up the different upbringing thing. I'm cool with that, too:

But let's get one thing clear: the out-of-story reason for the different upringing was just so they could do this to the character.

15. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I've said this in other threads so at the risk of being severely beaten about the face and head with a blunt object:

First viewing: it was OK. But it wasn't "My Trek".
    Second viewing: It was great. Still didnt excuse the re-writes but could live with them.
    Third viewing: I could kiss JJ full on the mouth. LOVE IT!

16. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

I thought it was a good movie (even considering holes in the story/plot/production design and so forth); and BAD TOS.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't TOS - good, bad or indifferent. TOS ended forever, forty years ago. Abrams's movie was just good Star Trek.

18. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes... you are more accurate. It was not TOS. Though I would like to think that TOS hasn't quite ended yet (but I am biased in that matter).

19. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

TOS may have stopped being produced 40yrs ago...but it most certainly has not ended. The phenomenon continues!

20. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Phenomenon? That's a big word for a bunch of repeats of an old series. :D