Spoilers What are your unpopular Sci-Fi & Fantasy Opinions?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Saul, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I genuinely liked Solo. I would have watched a whole trilogy of that.
    The Star Wars universe, imho, is a very interesting, imaginative and lively setting..but honestly I'm really tired of Jedi, and the whole Rebellion vs Empire storyline, which is why I didn't care much for the sequel trilogy.
    Give us something new.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure I've been insulted.

You cry once at a movie and marked for life.

Orphalesion and Captaindemotion like this.
  3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

This.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just out curiosity, how many of the shows and movies have you guys watched?

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Literally all of them apart from Solo and the newest one. I even used to read the EU, right up until the Yuuzhan Vong were introduced. I legitimately believe I'm missing something when it comes to Star Wars. It'd be like if I still liked Power Rangers and burst into tears when I saw the new one when they transformed. I don't get it. I mean I like the Marvel movies, escapism is fine, but they're very much "watch it, enjoy it, forget it" while Star Wars seems to have this rabid dedication that no one else does, all the movies seem to make mega bucks despite the quality. I remember I went to see TFA and I was so so bored, yet I saw a grown man crying at the end and stood up clapping (this was my first experience of this, I saw it in Australia, though they told me it was still weird).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  6. Orphalesion

I mean come own guys...it's not like Star Trek isn't currently having a love affair with it's own Nostalgia. Who's sister is Michael? And what show are we getting next? Which characters did the Abrams movies star?

And at least Star Wars had *good* movies.

7. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

If Star Trek 5 was a Star Wars movie, it'd be praised as "visionary and brave" and would make 4 billion dollars.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  8. Orphalesion

First of all if that crime against cinema itself was a Star Wars movie, it would be a completely different movie.
    And second of all...you have never seen Star Wars fans bitch about the prequels eh? (or Star Wars fans bitching about the current sequel trilogy, for that matter)

And well, again, maybe the Star Wars movies are fondly remembered because they are good, exciting and have interesting scenery, maybe.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  9. fireproof78

I recall the most vile language used against Lucas for daring to make the prequels the way that he did. Now people are claiming they are visionary and cry when Order 66 happens after the Clone Wars.

People have various reactions to media. It's a feature of humanity.

Unpopular opinion, I guess. Abrams' films are good Star Trek movies. Not because of nostalgia but because those characters are damn engaging.
    Personally curiosity time-Why is a grown man crying weird? Maybe this is my own experience but both my dad and I cried during 09 at the beginning. I cried with TFA and at the end of TLJ. Now, tears are something very much second nature to me so maybe it is less weird in my experience.

Orphalesion and auntiehill like this.
  10. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I keep checking this thread hoping that the discussion will go back to the OP's intent (things you like that others don't), and I sadly keep being disappointed.

In the interest of once again trying to get it there, though, here's another 'unpopular opinion' from me:
    * Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 suffers a bit from Avi Arad forcing the inclusion of Venom, but still ends up being qualitatively above-average

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I agree. It’s flawed but Sandman is well done (perfectly cast too), the action scenes are well done and while Topher Grace’s Venom may not be authentic to the comics, he works well in the film’s own setting, as Raimi wanted his Brock to be reminiscent of Peter.

12. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I strongly dislike all the Raimi spider-man films. But I dislike SM3 the least. And Sandman was definitely the best villain (sort of) in the trilogy.

13. fireproof78

Sandman is well done. But, I revisit 3 the least of Spider-Man films.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

For me, of all the new movies Solo did the best job of capturing the spirit of the original trilogy. It was fun and enjoyable and the cast was good as well. I still think that if Disney had scheduled it for a Christmas release it would have been a hit.

15. douwed

douwed Lieutenant Red Shirt

Gotta agree, Spidey 3 is the one I hardly ever rewatch. I am more inclined to watch the Andrew Garfield Spider-man films than Tobey's third. Tobey's first two are brilliant though and I have no problems revisiting those.

16. fireproof78

Was reviewing some of my saved fan art and reminded of this opinion that might be unpopular-Chronicles of Riddick is a great movie, and Vin Disel as Riddick is an interesting character to explore. I hope the fourth film makes it to screen.

The Borgified Corpse likes this.
  17. Orphalesion

Personally I only really find Phantom Menace bad. That movie was blah. The other two aren't all that terrible (the pointless, endless flirting between Anakin and Padme in that seaside palace notwithstanding, that could have been cut down a bit) and if a slightly modified version of Attack of the Clones had been Episode 1 with young adult Anakin meeting Obi-Wan and becoming his student, I daresay there would have been less complaints. A lot less.
    Particularly Revenge of the Sith is a enjoyable watch for me.

My statement about the Star Trek movies being bad is really about the numbered Trek Movies. As I said mutliple times on this board, some of them work as long episodes for me, but not as movies I'd go to the cinema to watch. While the Star Wars movies are good movies to me.
    From what I've seen of the Abrams movies they seem a lot more movie-like and exiting to me than the numbered Trek movies. Abrams made movies, not long episodes.
    My point was really just that it's skewed to call Star Wars a nostalgia fest, when Star Trek is one too right now. Plus even with Phantom Menace I never had that "WTF is this s***?" reaction Star Trek V, Insurrection or TMP cause in me.

I agree so much! And Alden Erenreich did a great job portraying a young Han Solo. Plus...Han did have more character development in that movie than he had between the original and sequel trilogies...

18. fireproof78

Meh is all I can say about TPM. It was largely a film I would have found more fun if it wasn't Star Wars. I do agree that young adult Anakin would have been a better choice and I think the ten year gap between the first two is ridiculous. But, the dialog hurts no matter what.
    Of the three AOTC is the most enjoyable for me.
    I'm the reverse. The Phantom Menace made me roll my eyes and embarrassed (at the time-I was 15) to watch the film with my friends. I loved all the hype around it and the merchandising and read all the books. But, even Star Trek V sat better with me. TMP I never gave a full viewing because it never felt like Star Trek to me.

19. Orphalesion

A little anecdote about the dialogue. In ROTC, there's this scene where Padme tells Anakin about this boy she loved as a young teen and about how amazing he was and etc. etc. etc. The scene goes on for far too long and is entirely pointless.
    When I first saw that movie as a kid, I thought this scene would lead into a reveal where that boy Padma talked about would turn out to be Jango Fett, simply because I thought that the scene would have to have a pay off..somehow...because I assume they wouldn't give us dialogue without it having some sort of point.
    But then it didn't, because a lot of the dialogue in that "budding romance" subplot was terrible and pointless.

And that's cool, as you said before, we all have different reactions to media :)
    Though when you say TMP doesn't feel like ST to me, well yeah I agree with that because I still think it's a 2001:A Space Odyssey rippoff.
    Though in a nice example of the two franchises mirroring each other: you could say, TMP was Roddenberry with too few guidelines to reign him in...and TMP was George Lucas with too few guidelines to reign him in.

20. fireproof78

Completely agree on that one.