what are your thoughts/opinions on these old sci fi movies?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by urrutiap, May 21, 2022.

1. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BENEATH, like BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, ends with a dying man blowing up objects, but not necessarily intentionally.

I wrote too much homemade sci-fi for my fourth grade teacher's liking, probably because it was in my fourth grade comfort zone. I can say that even if you've memorized all the TOS episode titles by Blish-book order, it's still not likely to impress fellow sixth-graders. Maybe I should've listed all the Bond films in order instead, but that age I'd've pronounced Sean Connery with a ''seen'' sound.:cool:

I moved on to memorize the DIRTY DOZEN fictional names and the actor/numbers for the 12 ANGRY MEN jurors....not due to dedication, just obsession for certain kinds of quality product.

Admiral2 likes this.
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I think Taylor did intentionally blow up the doomsday device as he died.

Admiral2 likes this.
  3. Foxhot

It's clearly what Heston wanted.:cool:

Admiral2 likes this.
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As he's dying, Taylor definitely seems to be struggling to say something like "fucking bastards" or similar. He's clearly some kind of pissed off. Definitely within his wheelhouse to deliberately set off the bomb as his final act of revenge.

5. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I memorized all the TOS episode titles, and that actually did impress a couple of classmates in Grade 10. They weren't in any particular order, though, and the Blish books weren't in production or even broadcast order. Some of the scripts he worked with weren't even close to the final shooting script, which made for some confusion in some of them.

I got into Star Trek in Grade 8 and promptly made my junior high English teacher's life a living hell because I incorporated science fiction into as many assignments as I could (I'd promptly gone on a reading binge in the school library and public library before starting my now-massive SF/F collection that began with just 2 of the Blish books purchased at Woolco on November 28, 1975).

She couldn't wrap her mind around science fiction, or even science. She docked marks in an essay assignment because I'd capitalized "Earth." When I asked her why she'd marked me down for Earth but not for Saturn, she said, "Well, Saturn is a planet."

"So is Earth," I informed her, and she grudgingly restored my marks.

Science fiction did help me in a Grade 12 English assignment. The teacher was fond of "poetry interpretation" exercises and sometimes she would have us do them in groups. So I got into the usual group with 3 other students, and we started discussing the meaning of Edwin Muir's poem "The Horses."

This teacher had another habit: She would push her own religion in class, in assignments and comments. This was a public school, and so it profoundly annoyed me. But the students got used to the idea that it pleased the teacher when interpretation exercises contained a religious angle, so my classmates promptly decided that the horses were a metaphor for Jesus. I looked at them and said, "No, the poem is about World War III and the horses are real horses."

They looked at me as though I was nuts and said "But World War III hasn't happened yet" (take note of the word "yet"; in 1979 during the Cold War the idea of WWIII was something we took for granted could happen, but just didn't know when).

They argued that no war had come and gone in just 7 days (one of the lines in the poem refers to "the seven day war that put the world to sleep") and I explained that a nuclear exchange wouldn't need much more to destroy the higher technology we depended on. I was met with blank stares, and wondered if I was the only one who ever read science fiction, let alone dystopian science fiction outside of what might be assigned in school.

By this time the teacher had come around to our area of the classroom, overheard this discussion, and told the others in the group, "Listen to her. She's right."

People memorize what interests them. I'm frequently croggled by some of what people have memorized about Star Trek, as there are some aspects that don't interest me even slightly. But there are some threads that are dozens of pages where people argue these things passionately.

Whereas me... I spent part of Grade 9 in the school library, learning the Greek alphabet. It hasn't led to much fluency in reading Greek and I can't even string a sentence together, though a Greek friend on my gaming forum has been willing to teach me a bit once he knew that I really do want to learn. At least I can recognize his name on the books he's published (he's published in Greece and has been trying to break into the North American market in English, specializing in horror fiction).

Foxhot likes this.
  6. Foxhot

''You bloody bastard'' or ''bastards.'' But it was still rated G as was the first. Or perhaps PG. The first F-word in a major PG film I can currently verify was less than distinct, but according to captions, Ernest Borgnine called the POSEIDON ADVENTURE Christmas tree ""#$%^ing heavy.'' (I'm homaging MAD magazine here, as usual.)

But if Taylor is deliberately blowing everything up, he's avenging Nova, but condemning Cornelius and Zira in his head. Or what remains of it. Since he's been shot, I'd guess he wants to punish Zaius most of all while forgetting about C&Z.

Those who know all the TOS episode titles are likely to know most of the character names. So once the 1990s TREK board game came out, my best friend made the tactical error of assuming I wouldn't remember Jaegar [sic?] and DeSalle beaming down with McCoy in GOTHOS........as opposed Year 3's permanent Siamese-triplet-sandwich of Kirkspockenmccoy.

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Actually, I'd have to say I'm more grateful to see Zira in ESCAPE than Cornelius, because my favorite scene in the movie was when the humans put her through the intelligence tests.

Clueless Human: "Why isn't she taking the banana?"
    Zira: "Because I loathe bananas!"

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  8. Timewalker

I'm unfamiliar with that game.

9. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dug out my Malibu comics reprint of the Marvel comics movie adaptation of 'Beneath. . .' and the ending differs from the filmed version that made it on to the screen.

We pick up with Taylor and Brent entering the cathedral after the death of Nova, to see the apes pulling down the Alpha/Omega missile.

Taylor and Brent split up. As Brent is ducking behind a pillar, Zaius spots him and alerts Ursus, who turns and shoots Brent. Brent collapses to the ground. Zaius sees that Brent is still moving towards the rifle he dropped and says that the human is not dead. Ursus lunges at Brent and the two wrestle for the rifle. Zaius moves to pick up the rifle when Taylor yells, "Don't pull that trigger Zaius - -!"

Zaius and Ursus turn to see Taylor standing next to the missile with his finger on the firing trigger.

" - - Or it's doomsday. The end of the world Zaius and you know what I mean! One tiny button, - - Zaius. That's all it takes. All I do is press it, and it's over - - for good! So for God's sake, help me, Zaius! Help me stop this - -"

"Why should I?" replies Zaius.

"You damned dirty animal - -!"

"Don't touch the button, Taylor - -!"

"Then help me. Let Brent go. Convince Ursus to let me dismantle the bomb - - permanently. Help me, Zaius - - you must."

"No Taylor - - you are the beast, you are the destroyer. But the destroyer himself must inevitably be destroyed."

"So help me Zaius - - I'll do it. There's nothing left for me - - I want to do it. So you'd better stop me, Zaius - - you'd damn well better stop me!"

Ursus turns to Zaius. "What are you waiting for - -? Shoot the human - - shoot him!"

Zaius hesitates. "Ursus. . . I. . . I"

Ursus grabs the rifle from Zaius hands. "Weakling!!" and fires multiple shots at Taylor. Taylor collapses to the ground and struggles to reach the firing pin.

"Damn you Zaius - - Damn you - - You could have. . . stopped. . . him. . . could have. . ."

Ursus reloads and fires again, hitting Taylor. Taylor reaches for the firing pin.

"What's wrong with him? How can he go on - -? I hit him five times - -! He should be dead!"

Taylor smiles as he reaches the firing pin and pushes it. Fade to white, then black. "Tiny insignificant planet . . . now dead."

I'm disappointed that Malibu went under before they could complete reprinting the entire saga. It's promised at the end of the 'Escape' adaptation that 'Conquest' would be next; sure to be followed by 'Battle'.

That, and I wonder if 'Conquest' would have had the original ending where the apes kill Governor Breck, and 'Battle' would have had the deleted scenes that didn't show up until the 'Special Edition' DVD years later.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  10. Foxhot

I have to hand it to the first five films. Each one was significantly different to the previous, and the first four had varied bone-chilling endings. If only the remixed reimagined redos of 2020 would take note....

11. Timewalker

I never got into the comics, but I have all the novels, including the tie-ins for the TV series.

I never saw the new movies - didn't see any need to, as I felt that nothing could improve on the originals.