What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

rUxvVhT.gif
Me watching TMP
uZh1paI.gif

The new Remastered edit and the Director's Edition are my go-tos and favorite but the 1979 original and 1983 Special Longer Version are edits I also love.

Also look at the way the US military abandoned the sequential numbering of aircraft types for no particular reason. Since they started the joint service renumbering system in the 60s, we were doing fine up to the F-22 and YF-23
Eh, it was already screwed up by Northrop's request to skip F-19 so they could have F-20 for the Tigershark.

I'm curious what version of TMP people like right now?
If it even exists, I'd prefer one that isn't so mind-numbingly slooooow...because that's my main problem with it. So much of the first movie was comprised of beauty shots with the Enterprise's outer hull, but after a few minutes I started thinking "Enough - I get the point already. Where's the actual story?"

Reading online, I learned the film made $139 million, on a $44 million budget...and I just kept asking myself, "How is that even possible? The entire thing is boring beyond reason!" Maybe its because I was never a fan of the 1960s show, but that doesn't hold much water since I did end up enjoying some of the other films based on it.

1. TMP Remastered DE
2, TMP Theatrical Cut
3. TMP Extended Cut (one scene had an unfinished set, and another scene was best left on the cutting-room floor)
Unranked. TMP DE from 2001 (it's been too long since I've seen it and I got rid of the DVD a long time ago)

The 2021 Director's Edition of TMP is my preferred edition these days. I'll still occasionally revisit the Special Longer Version because that's the one I grew up with and the one that ignited my love of the film. The theatrical is something I only ever rewatch when I'm doing a complete Robert Wise marathon because I view that as a distinct entity from the "final" cut.

Not something I've revisited in over a decade. But my best friend and I had the crazy idea of trying to set a record back in '79, so I've seen that version multiple times.

Reading online, I learned the film made $139 million, on a $44 million budget...and I just kept asking myself, "How is that even possible? The entire thing is boring beyond reason!" Maybe its because I was never a fan of the 1960s show, but that doesn't hold much water since I did end up enjoying some of the other films based on it.

Im going to say your initial lack of affinity to TOS is part of it. Another part is you obviously weren't there at the time of the theatrical release. It was 1979 which means:

1. There had been no live action Trek in 10 years
2. There weren't near as many movies released in 79 as there will be in 2024, so the movie going audience didn't have as many options to choose from
3. There were no other Star Trek movies to compare it to. Heck, there weren't that many science fiction movies to compare it to in terms of FX, time of release, etc...

Clearly TMP would not be as successful today as it was in 79

I mean, TOS was Star Trek. There was nothing else, except some other shows. So, to many science fiction fans, this appealed. To many Trek fans this was huge.

But, yes, not being a fan of the 60s show is going to be a huge mark against it. Even if I disagree with the pacing and some characterization, I still am there for Spock and seeing his journey, how it unfolds against the backdrop of his challenges, and what V'Ger might be.

It's not my favorite film by a fair margin, but the fan status doesn't confuse me.

Im going to say your initial lack of affinity to TOS is part of it. Another part is you obviously weren't there at the time of the theatrical release. It was 1979 which means:

1. There had been no live action Trek in 10 years
2. There weren't near as many movies released in 79 as there will be in 2024, so the movie going audience didn't have as many options to choose from
3. There were no other Star Trek movies to compare it to. Heck, there weren't that many science fiction movies to compare it to in terms of FX, time of release, etc...

Clearly TMP would not be as successful today as it was in 79
All fair points I suppose, but I've tried to watch it more than once, and it just makes me want to fall asleep. From an historical view, it seemed (at least according to what I read) that Paramount mostly approved it while panicking, due to the unexpected success of the first Star Wars. As you admitted, the franchise had been dead for a decade besides reruns, and I also read that initially, some of the cast weren't too thrilled about coming back. It was a risky move on the studio's part, but I think they were just so determined to beat Lucas at his own game, that it overrode the rest of their thinking.

All fair points I suppose, but I've tried to watch it more than once, and it just makes me want to fall asleep. From an historical view, it seemed (at least according to what I read) that Paramount mostly approved it while panicking, due to the unexpected success of the first Star Wars. As you admitted, the franchise had been dead for a decade besides reruns, and I also read that initially, some of the cast weren't too thrilled about coming back. It was a risky move on the studio's part, but I think they were just so determined to beat Lucas at his own game, that it overrode the rest of their thinking.
It was also a need to make back money. They had been in development hell over several film scripts, then the Phase II idea, then back to a film. So, a lot of time and money for no product to show for it. I don't think they necessarily wanted to beat Lucas, so much as they wanted to strike at a time when they thought they could actually make money on what was still considered a niche genre.

Back