What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

KASIDY: "Computer, when is Captain Sisko's next scheduled birth control injection?"
COMPUTER: "Tomorrow, 1800 hours. Reminder is set of be delivered at 1600."
KASIDY: "Cancel reminder." :whistle:

My controversial opinion which I may have stated before - I think ESP, Telepathy and whatever mental biological muckery should have no place in any scifi, from 1930, 1960, or even now. At the very least and most permissible it should be actually thought out and limited to what the biological senses could conceivably do to replicate technological senses and is more passive than active, MAYBE, and that should require touch or be a sort of thermo-optic than full on 'I can read their thoughts from across the room'.

The novelization of TMP also refers to advanced neural invasion technology having been a thing in Earth's pre-warp past. The book references "The Mind Control Revolts of 2048."

This,however, ironically, I could see happen. Non-intrusive brain scanning technology, miniaturization and BMIs, and the current security state apparatus can, via technology, start to approximate telepathic like magic with those repercussions....

People are not responsible now. Why should that change in the future?
Because it would be easier. Look how far birth control has come in under 100 years, since Margaret Sanger championed the concept. In another 250 or 300, I would think that birth control would be nearly automatic. Ergo, you don't have kids until and unless you want them.

And in any case,
Picard and Beverly don't strike me as the type to have random and unprotected sex without taking reasonable precautions.

Because it would be easier. Look how far birth control has come in under 100 years, since Margaret Sanger championed the concept. In another 250 or 300, I would think that birth control would be nearly automatic. Ergo, you don't have kids until and unless you want them.
It's easier now and people are still irresponsible.

I don't believe for a second they will become more responsible. And I don't trust most humans to take responsibility for their behaviors, especially around sex.

My controversial opinion which I may have stated before - I think ESP, Telepathy and whatever mental biological muckery should have no place in any scifi, from 1930, 1960, or even now.
I’m ok with it for TOS, it was a common sci-fi trope and was still taken somewhat seriously as possible at the time. However, by the time of TNG they should have known better.

I feel like the newer shows have largely abandoned telepathy — other than keeping it around for Vulcans and Betazoids since it’s an established element of those races.

It's Ok when it has a limited range, longer in the case of powerful beings (like those star jellies). But Troi can sense humanoid feelings thousands of miles away. That seems like a bit much.

And still pretty ridiculous. I like the idea of mind melding, where touch is required, or Troi's ability to read people in the same room with her. But it should be limited.

In a universe where Starfleet Admirals and even Captains go insane or become evil or take part in criminal conspiracies or all three I can easily buy somebody not remembering to use birth control while in uniform.

Do you think that's how

Jack Crusher came into existence?

I always suspected that Beverly wanted a child and deliberately chose not to take her meds so that she would have Jack - and of course deliberately concealed Jack's existence from Picard. But I guess she can forget a dose just like anyone else. :shrug:

My controversial opinion which I may have stated before - I think ESP, Telepathy and whatever mental biological muckery should have no place in any scifi, from 1930, 1960, or even now.

Since none of us knows what the universe truly offers, I'm okay with writers exploring/using telepathy in a sci-fi setting. Science fiction should be a boxless genre where anything goes. It is our imaginations run wild.

@Ríu ríu chíu
Yes, I think that was Jack's origin, and if it was deliberate, I find it pretty appalling. Picard should have at least known after the fact, and really Beverly should have discussed the matter with him beforehand.

Since none of us knows what the universe truly offers, I'm okay with writers exploring/using telepathy in a sci-fi setting. Science fiction should be a boxless genre where anything goes. It is our imaginations run wild.

I've never understood this argument myself. Science fiction is just as valid an emphasis as science fiction, and just because it's fiction doesn't mean there shouldn't be rules. If Picard suddenly pulled out a wand and revealed that he'd been a Ravenclaw prefect at Hogwarts prior to attending Starfleet Academy and although his charms work was rusty he was still reasonably good at transfigurations it would certainly be "anything goes", but it would absolutely violate the in-universe rules of Star Trek.

I've never understood this argument myself. Science fiction is just as valid an emphasis as science fiction, and just because it's fiction doesn't mean there shouldn't be rules. If Picard suddenly pulled out a wand and revealed that he'd been a Ravenclaw prefect at Hogwarts prior to attending Starfleet Academy and although his charms work was rusty he was still reasonably good at transfigurations it would certainly be "anything goes", but it would absolutely violate the in-universe rules of Star Trek.

People fixate too much on rules. “Is it entertaining?”, is the only thing I’m worried about.

If Picard suddenly pulled out a wand and revealed that he'd been a Ravenclaw prefect at Hogwarts prior to attending Starfleet Academy and although his charms work was rusty he was still reasonably good at transfigurations it would certainly be "anything goes", but it would absolutely violate the in-universe rules of Star Trek.
Darn right! Everyone knows Picard should be a Gryffindor! :p

Reactions: kkt
Back