What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

I liked the changes to the Klingon makeup in DSC Season 2, and hated that SNW went back to more TNG looking makeup. Though I am glad they stopped using the DSC Season 1 ship designs and weapons.

Except the Cleave Ship, I liked the Cleave Ship, it's so very Klingon to have giant blade ship.

I'm on record not liking most things about the DSC Season 1 and 2 Klingons but yeah, the Cleave Ship was a badass design and something you could totally see the Klingon Empire building and using in any era of warp flight.

That said, THE 100 was actually pretty good for a CW show...

I found The 100 to be boringly repetitive with the basic plot of each season being the same as the previous.

Group of cataclysmic holocaust survivors (or descendants of survivors in season 1) fights natives in an attempt to establish a foothold of a colony on Earth (or nearby planet) with the season ender being another cataclysm that resets the story.

I stopped watching season 6. So close to the end...

That every series after Voyager and DS9 are so outside of the history that they shouldn't even be considered to be a part of Star Trek

"Devil in the Dark" is about a colonial power sending a ship to put down a local uprising that's interfering with their profitable mining operation.

The ship captain's solution is to get the surviving indigenous inhabitants to work the mines of the invaders who slaughtered thousands of their siblings.

Consider a few choice pieces of dialogue:

SPOCK: The missing pump wasn't taken by accident. It was the one piece of equipment absolutely essential for the operation of the reactor.
KIRK: Do you think the creature is trying to push the colonists off the planet?
SPOCK: It would seem so.

Note that Spock has just established the sophisticated intelligence of the planet's inhabitants.

Later, Kirk will say:

KIRK: Mister Spock, our mission is to protect this colony, to get the pergium moving again. This is not a zoological expedition. [...] I'm sorry, Mister Spock, but I'm afraid the creature must die.

He's been told. He's culpable.

All hail the humane ideals of the Federation!

Reactions: Sci
"Devil in the Dark" is about a colonial power sending a ship to put down a local uprising that's interfering with their profitable mining operation.

The ship captain's solution is to get the surviving indigenous inhabitants to work the mines of the invaders who slaughtered thousands of their siblings.

Note that Spock has just established the sophisticated intelligence of the planet's inhabitants.

Later, Kirk will say:

I totally agree, and I think Spock would, too.

There's a fan fiction piece I have read where Spock convinces Kirk that they have to bring this to the Federation Council to get justice for the Horta. I'll try to find it and I will edit this post with the link when I do.

Later, Kirk will say:

True enough. My six year old self in 1973 saw it a bit differently, though (this episode is one of my favourites, not least for its sentimental value as the very first episode of Trek I ever watched thanks to the Trekkie sitter my parents got one Saturday night back then).

I consider the Original Effects option on the TOS Blu-Rays to be the true "TOS Remastered" because it's the original 1960s version but upscaled. Similar to what TNG Remastered is.

I always watch it with the original FX, I’m so glad they provided that option. That’s what I grew up with and it adds to the show’s charm. The CGI FX are okay but pull me out of it a bit, particularly when they try to be a little clever or showy.

I would very much like to watch TOS without the remasters and I viscerally hate that I can't. Everytime I see a picture of the Okudas I retch. Its Pavlovian, I associated their faces with TOS-R..

I don't have the blurays and will not buy them because 1) it's 2023 not the time to buy physical media 2) there are several releases of everything with different descriptions and I won't waste the time to sift through all of them to find the correct one. 3) even if I had the disks I don't have a desktop computer with a CD/DVD drive anymore with which to rip the files and save them to a convenient location 4)
I'm aware illegal downloads exist but they have the same problem of finding the right ones

I would very much like to watch TOS without the remasters and I viscerally hate that I can't. Everytime I see a picture of the Okudas I retch. Its Pavlovian, I associated their faces with TOS-R..

I don't have the blurays and will not buy them because 1) it's 2023 not the time to buy physical media 2) there are several releases of everything with different descriptions and I won't waste the time to sift through all of them to find the correct one. 3) even if I had the disks I don't have a desktop computer with a CD/DVD drive anymore with which to rip the files and save them to a convenient location 4)
I'm aware illegal downloads exist but they have the same problem of finding the right ones
All the BluRays sets have both versions of the special effects. But it sounds like you don't want physical media of any sort, which does restrict your options somewhat (even buying the original release DVDs). Am I correct in thinking your just want video files?

All the BluRays sets have both versions of the special effects. But it sounds like you don't want physical media of any sort, which does restrict your options somewhat (even buying the original release DVDs). Am I correct in thinking your just want video files?
DVDs are okay (I can rip those)
downloads/streaming would be better
ideally a tube tv and an UHF transmission

Back