What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Magic Maik

Magic Maik Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hehe, you want specifics.

Ok, how about... S03 E06 · Booby Trap.
    Picture this, An ancient PRICELESS battle cruiser in amazing condition that has been drifting in space for 1,000 years. Guy blunders his way into a minefield, nearly gets destroyed by ancient tech, survives the situation he put himself and his crew in by an absolute miracle moon shot, is safe... now, he could put up beacons warning about the area and get Star Fleet to send in some engineers to disable the minefield.
    F that! LOL! Pew. pew. Blow that shiz up! Blammo! :alienblush:

S07 E15 · Lower Decks.
    Big brain Picard couldn't simply give Star Fleet intelligence a call to source literally ANY ship for that Cardassian agent?

Worse still, Picard used his powers of weird psychological manipulation to send a promising officer to her death completely unnecessarily. Even worse, she was BJORAN, he sent an inexperienced officer with the amazing backstory that she's a terrorist of all things into what's effectively Nazi Germany. Wowzers.

Plus many many more.

Also, the way he demeans Worf on the regular... :klingon:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don’t really understand why it makes the ship appear to roll like that (and then jump “up” offscreen).

3. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll add that the only reason he needs James Kirk to come out of the Nexus is because with all of time and space to choose from he decided to leave the Nexus at the same moment he just had his butt handed to him because for some reason he's in a real hurry to get into a fist fight with an armed man.

TEN FORWARD
    (Off camera) Data: I hate this! It is revolting!
    Picard: I'm looking for Doctor Soran...
    (Off camera) Picard 2: HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!
    (Camera swings to show ANOTHER PICARD)
    Picard 2: Clap that man in irons! I'll explain everything in a moment!

(He doesn't know that the Enterprise has just been whacked. So saving the ship would have been a happy accident.)

OTOH, out of seven seasons, four movies, and whatever Picard was, that's not a terrible record.

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Picard should have come out of the Nexus a few weeks before and, you know, SAVED HIS FAMILY.

But, plot and Shatner fist fight.

Guy Gardener and Tallguy like this.
  5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He thinks getting stabbed in the heart is funny.

Other people sure, that's hilarious, but himself in his own Heart?

Stabby, stabby, jab, jab: "Ho! Ho! HA!"

What a psycho.

6. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because it's so cool!

F. King Daniel likes this.
  7. AresB

AresB Commander Red Shirt

ENT was produced by Rick "Beige" Berman. Of course the song was bland! He fires people who make exciting music. Bland and/or beige is the way!

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

It's basic science.

:shifty:

[​IMG]

9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Shrooooms, man…

10. Enderprize

Enderprize Ensign Red Shirt

Don't know if this has been said already, but I accept that First Contact changed history, leading to the Enterprise timeline, which we've been following ever since (aside from the Kelvinverse), hence explaining the "visual reboot" of Discovery/SNW, and why the holographic Discoprise is on display in Picard.

maneth likes this.
  11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

But now
    the USS New Jersey looks out of place.

12. Enderprize

A relic of the former pre-ENT continuity that somehow jumped over from that timeline to now? Sounds like an interesting reason to have a TOS style ship at the museum.

Much easier for me to explain away an outlier than it is for me to believe the Discoprise will one day be retrofitted EXACTLY into the TOS 60's style.

13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Meh. Curt Swan Superman. José-Luis Garcia-Lopez Superman. Dan Jurgens Superman. George Perez Superman. Jim Lee Superman. Tim Sale Superman. etc. All look different-same Superman (within whatever respective continuities they appear--but visual appearance is not the determining factor). I see Trek in the same way--artistic licence with fictional stories.

14. Enderprize

Along with the anachronistic Treknology in ENT.

Also, to correct myself, this would have affected the Kelvinverse too, as Archer is mentioned.

I loved the premise of ENT, but its execution was bland. Enterprise done in NuTrek style though? That would be cool.

15. Holopat

Holopat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The only real Trek is TOS and I don't mean the movies either. A couple of the animated series may be okay. And there are a few moments in the TOS movies that are okay. But Star Trek, to me, is TOS. Only TOS.

Henoch likes this.
  16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can get on board though I personally see no reason why other shows can't be enjoyed as Trek. Just multiple interpretations of the world.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    TOS is literal Star Trek. The rest is the Star Trek Universe which is also Star Trek, just not literally named "Star Trek" and that's it. So...yes and no.

Commander Troi and Holopat like this.
  18. Enderprize

Don't get me wrong, I agree. But with all the outrage regarding NuTrek's diversion from canon, why the controversy when retcons are built into the rules of the lore?

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because strict literalism and black and white thinking are more common than people like to admit.

20. Holopat

Holopat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There were "credits" in TOS. People bought things. Space stations vendors charged credits. Vulcan traders and Harry Mudd made a living buying and selling things. Human miners worked hard in lonely environments. So the whole "no money" thing in post TOS series to me is just ridiculous.

Tallguy likes this.