What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To make people think, reflect on new possibilities.

Art can generate an emotional response for sure, but that which only generates an emotional response (and does not broaden my horizon) I do not consider art. But that's a personal stance, of course.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I would disagree with that. What about music that brings out emotions?

I'm probably the last person to say anything about art, but I think can not only make you think but also make you feel. Art reminds us we are human.

Richard S. Ta and Commander Troi like this.
  3. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

That is a good point! :techman:

Farscape One likes this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If I had things my way, I would do two things:

1. I would immediately declare that the different depictions of the 23rd Century are a result of the Temporal War. The version we see in TOS existed before the changes due to the Temporal War, and it continues to exist in its own parallel timeline. The version we see in SNW and Early-DSC exists after the changes due to the Temporal War. If people don't accept SNW or DSC over that and wouldn't even be willing to meet half-way with a compromise like this, then they weren't really with those shows to begin with.

2. I would retcon the cause of The Burn. Su'Kal didn't really cause The Burn but whoever actually did made it look like Su'Kal did in case someone ever came close to finding out the truth. Su'Kal would be both a misdirect and the true mastermind's scapegoat. Only because I think what caused The Burn was so stupid.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    publiusr and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I don't feel that way, I felt Su'Kal was a very TOS kind of story in the mold of things like Charlie X which was what I thought while watching it, and after all this is an opinions thread.

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really, they're both distinct stories and both great, for different reasons.
    Probably too late on that as they're already started adapteding elements of it.

With the computer being naming themselves Zora, and someone in Season 3 referring to the Federation as with the same name Craft did, V'draysh.

7. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

I’ve come to think of the Short Treks as something that sounded good in theory/on paper but for the vast majority failed in execution. There are a few…like Calypso or the one with Mudd that were good. But then you have the one with the Tribbles which was such a waste of H. Jon Benjamin or the “Children of Mars” which was just kinda there. The less said about Ephrim and DOT the better.

A parallel timeline similar to what you suggest is the way I’ve viewed it since the Discoprise first graced the screen in Disco S1. Something akin to the alternate realities Worf traveled thru in “Parallels.” So I would totally accept that the temporal war was responsible. But I would have the divergence happen like right after The Cage.

I think the cause of the burn is kinda dumb too. Having him be a scapegoat is a good idea. But instead of it being sinister just have it be a frame job by Starfleet because an experiment they were conducting went awry.

Lord Garth likes this.
  8. Gingerbread Demon

Ephrim and Dot was fun and so cute

9. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd reply the same way. Before I would call music art, it has to be beyond my current capacity to fully understand it. Make me stretch a little to understand / grasp more every time I listen to it. If it only evokes emotion and does nothing more, I won't call it art.

Same for other categories. A pretty picture that does nothing more than being pretty isn't art to me. A melodramatic movie without deeper layers isn't art to me.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy such music or such a picture at its time though.

And I reiterate that a lot of good art does evoke a powerful emotional response in me. But it has to do more than that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll see your Alternate Timelines and raise you Previously on Star Trek from If Memory Serves. I see this as both a statement that this is All the Same Thing as well as an acknowledgement that "This is a TV show and we're filming the episodes more than 50 years apart."

Is it fair that we get a new "interpretation" of the same ships, sets, uniforms, and aliens from Star Trek every time JJ gets a pimple while the Millennium Falcon is reproduced down to the last kit-bashed Panzer greeblie whenever we see her? Probably not. Maybe there is an alternate timeline where that didn't happen.

11. Gingerbread Demon

At the end of the day does anyone really, truly care that much about such things. I mean yes the most anal fans will stew endlessly over such details because that's the way they're wired. But I look at these shows as my entertainment and as long as they keep me happy all is right with the world and I won't fuss with every single detail or minutia inside.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

My controversial opinion for the day.

13. Lord Garth

I do too, and I already think both can co-exist, but I would do what I proposed to -- there's no way to say it but to say it -- to shut up the people who need it spelled out to them that both do co-exist by having it spelled out to them and addressed in Canon in some stupid two-parter like a certain other two-parter that was made in 2005.

I'm sick of hearing about it, non-stop. It's the same reason I'd give these people an "Enterprise in the 25th Century!" series. Just give it to them, make them happy, and get it out of the way while the rest of us look forward to other things.

I don't know. I feel reconciliatory. Between DSC and PIC, I got what I wanted, so I'm set. I'm one of the lucky ones and I know it. I'd give back a little for people who haven't gotten what they want.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    Commander Troi and fireproof78 like this.
  14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Robert Brown's takes on the two different versions of Lazarus are pretty solid and entertaining. I like them both. It's not Lazarus that reduces "The Alternative Factor(TOS)" to an incoherent mess, it's the script. It's just a severely inadequate and very poorly explained story.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. It clearly needs a black and white "this is different because...." in order to satiate the hype focused minutia crowd who remind me waayyyy too much of the inspector who had me move a wall a 1/4 of an inch after the roof was on.

Lord Garth and Commander Troi like this.
  16. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll second you on that one; TAF is too often scorned for the wrong reasons

17. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no problem scorning it for the right reasons. It's the absolute worst episode that still has a decent ending and great final line. Giving it a few minutes more thought, the last scene were Kirk finds the not crazy Lazarus is positively haunting. They feel like the only two people in the universe. It's just not worth the episode to get there.

No, Lazarus is not so bad. And if he is bad it's because the script is terrible. You never think "Aw, in the right hands this could have been a masterpiece." You also never think "Gee, I wish someone would fall off that cliff again..."

Richard S. Ta and Vger23 like this.
  18. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They are not mutually exclusive. I think while I feel and while I feel, I think. The two are part of the same process, whether we are conscious of it or not.

19. Lord Garth

The thing I most remember about "The Alternative Factor" was Lazarus' constantly changing fake beard.

20. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Is the plural “Lazarui?”