What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Vale

Vale Guest

There's a shirt you can get for that.

[​IMG]

2. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll take it a step further... "MOVE ALONG HOME" is a good episode for multiple reasons, not the least of which being Quark truly began his turn here.

(And yes, I truly love the episode, and I have defended it more than any other episode in the franchise, with "Masks" being a close second. I even took my debate to a DragonCon panel.)

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It's better than any episode of the franchise with an Irish village in a holodeck form. At least DS9 Season 1 cheese is edible if you hold your nose.

Richard S. Ta and Vale like this.
  4. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Here's some controversy for you...
    In many ways, the Before and After timeline... was actually better than the Voyager timeline we got.
    Yes, Janeway died, that was awful (she may well be my favorite trek captain, so I don't make the statement above lightly). But her loss, and B'Elanna's, allowed the remaining characters to do something the original timeline forbade them to... evolve.
    * Kes lived the life she was meant to live, becoming a healer, a wife, a mother, a grandmother, and facing the end. And while we didn't get to see it, I'll bet she cherished every moment.
    * Tom went through love, the devastation of losing that love, and the arduous task of putting himself back together and learning to love again.
    * The EMH was allowed to not only evolve as he did, but to both adopt a name and even a bit of vanity.
    * Chakotay and Neelix faced new challenges and took on new responsibilities, Chakotay as Voyager's captain and Neelix as Starfleet's first Talaxian. Though now acting first officer, Tuvok showed less change, but with his age and training, he is a character who should be static.
    * And yes, I'm even fine with Harry and Linnis... we've seen three people with human lifespan romancing Ocampa, and all were honorable men. I can take it on faith that no exploitation happened.
    * And because it's me... everyone had the rank they should have had at that point in time.

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Move Along Home is a dumpster fire.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  6. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

It features some interesting ideas (such as the Wadi's cultural emphasis on gaming), but the overall execution was botched. Really, the only thing that could have saved it as is would be Sisko wearing a pink tutu while he sings and skips along.

Exothermic reactions are useful.

CRM-114 and Oddish like this.
  7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Avery Brooks would agree with you.
    It did have one redeeming feature, in that it inverted the rather tired "game where if you lose you die" trope: no one was in actual danger.

EDIT: Really, the only thing that could have saved it as is would be Sisko wearing a pink tutu while he sings and skips along.

I'd like to watch you make THAT suggestion to Avery Brooks. :lol:

Commander Troi likes this.
  8. cooleddie74

It's a shame it was so bad. It was probably the most TOS episode of the series other than "Trials and Tribble-ations."

Richard S. Ta and CRM-114 like this.
  9. Ragitsu

What about the episode with the disappearing planet? Not quite?

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  10. cooleddie74

"Meridian" had some elements of that but it's so bland and uninteresting outside the basic concept and Jeffrey Combs it's one of those I easily skip when I rewatch episodes.

11. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Definitely some elements.
    * Legendary world with powerful tech.
    * Major social problem with relevant message for us.
    * Society comes crashing down and must adopt Federation societal norms.

12. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

We’re they really made of marshmallows ?

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I think you mean “marshmellons”.

;)

14. cooleddie74

I believe the ones in "Journey to Babel" were since the Ithenite delegates put the cubes into glasses of drink and they float.

GNDN18 likes this.
  15. Ragitsu

Swap Dax for Kirk and you've even got the space-romance angle.

16. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I think we're thinking about different "disappearing planet" episodes.

17. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you are confusing "When The Bough Breaks" with "MERIDIAN".

Ragitsu likes this.
  18. Ragitsu

Eddie was referring to a DS9 episode when he said "of the series"; I too had DS9 in mind when I responded to him.

Ah, yes: that episode. There are Space Irish over on TNG and Holographic Irish over on VOY; if we'd had "(insert special descriptor here) Irish" on DS9, we could have had a three-way brawl between the lot.

Commander Troi, Vale and cooleddie74 like this.
  19. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I forgot DS9 even had a disappearing planet episode. Shows how much of an impression "Meridian" made on me.

WarpTenLizard and cooleddie74 like this.
  20. RaisedEyeBrow

RaisedEyeBrow Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

I'm just now looking at this thread, but I'm with you on this one, Amasov. And yes, The Wrath of Kahn was a good movie, but I also don't think that it was as great as everyone else does. And as a matter of fact, I always thought that the sequel The Search for Spock, was much better than The Wrath of Khan.

Also, I probably shouldn't mention this, but I realize that Ricard Montalban had a receding hair line and therefore, he had to wear those bangs, but there was just something about his bangs that took something away from the character to me, compare to how his hair looked on TOS.

Additionally, even though, I thought that the story of Star Trek: The Motion Picture wasn't great, I did think that this movie was aesthetically and visually impressive. I even like the pastel-colored uniforms more so than the monotonous red uniforms that the entire crew wore in all the following TOS movies.