What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

95732111_2994209557284195_2528665152320962560_n.jpg
    yeah currently .. there is an influx of new books

I am reading.. this book

Challenger Deep
    Shusterman, Neal

It is getting good reviews and such but might take a bit to settle down to open the book .. 000 .. but I will start the book I have looked at stuff about it. and bought the book with a recommendation from people.

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

OK, this literally made me LOL. Well done. :)

StarCruiser, think and KimMH like this.
  3. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

picked up another book.. [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dewey the library cat.

Velocity and KimMH like this.
  5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Polti’s The Thirty-Six Dramatic Situations

There is a wonderful passage on the procession of our species in “characteristic motley costumes—Hindu Kings in their chariots, Chinese gallants playing their mandores, nude heroes of Hellas, legendary knights, adventurers of sword and cape, golden tressed princesses, nymphs sparkling with gems, shy maids with drooping eyelashes, famed courtesans, chaste Athenian virgins, priestly confessors, chattering gossips, gurus expounding religious ideas, satyrs leaping upon goats’ feet, ugly slaves, peris, horned devils in disguise, lisping Tartaglias, garrulous Graciosos, Shakespearean clowns, Hugoesque buffoons, magistrates, immobile Buddhist ascetics, white-robed sacrificers, martyrs with shining aureoles, too-crafty Ulysses, frightful Rakchasas, messengers dispersing calamitous tidings to the winds of heaven, pure-hearted youths, blood-stained madmen— yes, here it assembles, our humanity...”

6. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Obake - Ghost Stories in Hawaii by the (sadly-departed) Glen Grant.

Whether or not one believes in the stuff, the man was a great storyteller...

Cheers,
    -CM-

7. Mrs. Silvercrest

I am re reading all my choose your own adventure books. Anyone like them?

8. CuriousCaitian

CuriousCaitian Commander Red Shirt

Loved those as a child, to the point I wore out the spines. Long lost to the mists of time, sadly.

Mrs. Silvercrest likes this.
  9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Finished reading Star Trek: Picard - The Last Best Hope by Una McCormack the other day.

Currently reading Blue Moon by Lee Child.

10. Mrs. Silvercrest

I am rereading all the old Charlie Brown and Snoopy books we have.

Velocity likes this.
  11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished up The Andromeda Strain and moved on to the recently released sequel, The Andromeda Evolution.

12. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Two books going at the moment

1) The Book of Koli by MR Carey. It is a post-apocalyptic novel set in a world where plants and animals have turned on humans.
    2) Remembering Babylon by David Malouf. About a man who was shipwrecked when he was 13 and who lived with an Aboriginal tribe for 16 years before returning to live among white people.

KimMH likes this.
  13. Mrs. Silvercrest

my stack of Garfield books. I am working my way thur all the books we have along these lines. Snoppy books, Choose Own Adventure, Marmaduke, and a few others.

KimMH likes this.
  14. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Finished the "mere anarchy" books, they were fun.

Now I am with commander Sulu in "forged in fire".
    Wouldn't It be great to have a captain Sulu on the Excelsior set in the 24th century?

KimMH likes this.
  15. Miss Chicken

Just finished ‘The Burning: Massacre, Destruction, and the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921’ by Tim Madigan, well researching book. It was heart wrenching.

KimMH likes this.
  16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I've finished The Andromeda Evolution, and it's a great sequel. Daniel Wilson manages to capture Crichton's voice and style perfectly, feeling like something he would have written himself. I was rather skeptical that after 50 years, a sequel could be done properly, but rather than being a quick cash-in, a lot of thought was put into the actual story, and there's revelation/twist towards the end concerning one of the team members tieing it back to the original events that felt very satisfying.

17. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Caesar's Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus by Joseph Atwill - although I am inherently sympathetic to the thesis in this book, I am always wary of theories that seem extremely vulnerable to confirmatory bias. It does seem plausible that the Romans, specifically the Flavian imperial family and their associates, invented Christianity around the year 73 CE to undermine and replace the Jewish religion with an antisemitic cult. Supposedly, they forged the NT Gospels, which were actually a satire on the military exploits of Titus in Judea described by Josephus in The Jewish War. The Jesus featured in these forgeries might have been based on a Sicarii or Zealot leader named Eleazar (Lazarus), who was supposedly pardoned while being crucified.

However, Tacitus reported that Nero persecuted Christians around 64 CE so perhaps the Romans took a pre-existing Jewish cult, embellished it in a Hellenistic form as a means of control but then lost control of it until it ended up as the state religion in 380 CE. It might explain why the NT is written in Koine Greek with no Aramaic sources.

Next up are Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All by David Fitzgerald and On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt by Richard Carrier for their takes on the subject.

18. Miss Chicken

Just finished ‘ The Prodigy: A Biolgraphy of WIlliam James Sidis, America’s Greatest Child Prodigy’ by Amy Wallace.

Sidis was a mathematical and linguistic genius who entered Harvard at the age of 11. From then on he was subjected to cruel treatment from the press and from other students . In the end, as an young adult, he walked away from academia and his very domineering mother and settled for a life of menial jobs while trying to stay out of the limelight.

KimMH likes this.
  19. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Peace Talks by Jim Butcher

20. Mrs. Silvercrest

Cat Mysteries: by Lilian Jackson Braun. The book at the moment is called The Cat Who Went Underground.