What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Santaman

Santaman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://www.nytimes.com/1974/11/17/a...-332-pp-new-york-alfred-a-knopf-895.html?_r=0

Noel Mostert's "Supership"

He traveled half the world on board a supertanker describing the live on board and also explaining and making clear how that whole industry works including all the flaws of the ship's designs and the greed and total lack of morale in the industry.

Its a bok I read now and then and every time its a fascinating read, not only the technical aspect but also the whole view of the crew of the supertanker, how the world is changing for them, the way they travel inside this luxurious monstrosity with all the dangers and how disconnected they are from the rest of the world when they move accross the seas.

2. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

That sounds...amazing. How on earth did someone get that idea? :D

I'm close to finishing my first William Faulkner novel, The Unvanquished, and am steadily working on The Other War of 1812, about the...Georgian invasion of Florida.

3. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Silence Fallen - by Patricia Briggs

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Member of the Resistance Since Jan. 20, 2017 Moderator

Smokey and the Banshee? ;)

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

We'll have to use that title on the third book. :)

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  6. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would expect someone named after a patronus to enjoy YA books. :) (Welcome.)

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

The Brotherhood actually popped up very briefly, for just one chapter, in one of Rod Belcher's earlier novels, NIGHTWISE, and we decided to spin them off into their own book series because, yep, it seemed like too cool an idea not to run with.

Plus, as a rule, Rod is always just bubbling over with a neat ideas for new books and characters and series . . .. .

His next novel, QUEEN OF SWORDS, involves an 18th century pirate queen and, generations later, a respectable 19th century widow who is also a member of a secret order of female assassins dating back to the dawn of creation . . ..

8. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

The Handmaid's Tale

9. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

I've been in the mood for analyzing different viewpoints from what I'm used to. So I'll be starting Rand's The Fountainhead as soon as my copy arrives.

Don't judge me. :alienblush:

Kor

10. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I admire your willingness to expose yourself to different viewpoints to that degree.

As long as you continually remind yourself that Ayn Rand was on Social Security and Medicare at the end of her life, you should be fine. Also helps if you're not 15 years old when you read it, then you can see through its obvious bullshit.

I say these sarcastic things about Ayn Rand, but honestly, I read that book when I was 19 and I loved it. Made me a bit insufferable for a few years. You're probably not as impressionable as I was though.

Kor likes this.
  11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just started A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron.

Finished The Black Widow by Daniel Silva. Much darker than his other books.

12. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

A biography of Dennis Hopper, Lee Grant's autobio, a book of David Cronenberg interviews, AND YET by Christopher Hitchens and an 800-page collection of Norman Mailer's personal letters. But only one chapter or essay a night for the first four and one page of Mailer until I run of day-reading matter.

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re-reading Christopher Golden's Justice League novel "Exterminators".

14. Smellincoffee

Re-reading a book on Tolkien and mythic imagination.

15. Velocity

Velocity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

16. Smellincoffee

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire

17. Wereghost

Wereghost Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Norse Mythology also.

Before that, The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. I had not read this before, and I think it's been about 25 years since I started reading him. It's his first published novel and kind of reads like the distilled essence of a Banks narrative, the master mold from which all others have sprung. It's a short novel, but could maybe have done with some snipping as the single-character narration and meticulous detail can wear a bit thin. Nonetheless it's a superlative novel - assured, thoughtful and provocative.

trekkiedane likes this.
  18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Member of the Resistance Since Jan. 20, 2017 Moderator

Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson, writer of the excellent The Devil in the White City (about serial killer HH Holmes and his "murder castle" during the Chicago World's Fair). Isaac's Storm deals with meteorologist Isaac Cline's hubris about (not) building a sea wall and how it helped lead to the complete destruction of Galveston, Texas in the hurricane of 1900, and the deaths of up to 12,000 people when the storm surge flooded the city. It also deals with how hurricanes are formed, the birth of modern meteorology, the history of the booming city of Galveston up to that point and how despite being rebuilt, elevated 17 feet, and given a sea wall after the hurricane, the new city never regained its former glory and was surpassed in prominence by Houston further inland.

19. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Commodore Commodore

Great series if you want to read about a Starfleet that is far from perfect
    Star Trek Vanguard - Declassified
    Star Trek Vanguard series book 3 - Reap the whirlwind

20. Smellincoffee

The Eagle and the Wolves, historical fiction about a Roman legion invading Britain. Right now they're training the natives so they can fight the Taliban. I mean, the Dark Moon Druids.