What about the sound effects?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Cyanide Muffin, May 30, 2019.

1. Cyanide Muffin

Cyanide Muffin All hail Doctor 13 Premium Member

I think the sound design on the show as pretty good as much as the visual effects but in the 2 parter finale for season 2 did they use JJ Trek engine sounds?

When the ships went to warp it sounded like the JJprise?

2. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as I can tell (and I'm no expert) the sound design on the show draws from every iteration of Trek. TOS bridge sounds, TNG noises for hailing frequencies and other tidbits, Voyager's sound for Pike's ready room and I'm pretty sure they used Kelvin button sounds (or something very similar) when Michael was crawling through air ducts on the palace ship in the mirror universe finale. So I wouldn't be surprised if the warp jump was the Kelvin noise, since it was certainly made to resemble it visually.

Cyanide Muffin and saddestmoon like this.
  3. Cyanide Muffin

Cyanide Muffin All hail Doctor 13 Premium Member

When the Enterprise hit it for warp it was most noticeable and yep they did try to capture the same look too. I liked the sounds.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

I've noticed a lot of 24th century computer sounds and alarms used throughout the show. Except the Enterprise, which takes all its auditory cues from TOS.

5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

And the 24th century Klingon and Romulan alert sounds that Starfleet is using 100 years earlier... so damn lazy that they didn't come up with anything new, and instead reused sounds that make no sense and don't fit at all!

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

To be fair, all those Klingon and Romulan ships just took those alarms from 24th century Starfleet. And Enterprise already took those sounds and inserted them into 22nd century Starfleet. This seems an odd thing to accuse Disco's production staff of being lazy for, it's a time honoured tradition that dates back to TNG, which decided to reuse the TOS Red Alert sound as opposed to making their own like the movies did.

7. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That doesn't make much sense

8. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly i'd say the sound design, at least as far as the ships has been what I would classify as "A ****ing mess."

Since the beginning. The pew pew's have been off, the dropping in of the TOS torpedo sounds is jarring. The use of all different kinds of sounds from all the eras at seeming random is off putting.

Honestly, if they want to use some of the old sounds, that's fine, but they really need to come up with a coherent voice for the sound design in season 3.

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

They have. They're all Star Trek sounds. :)

GNDN18 likes this.
  10. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not what I meant. They do not harmonize. They distract. You have sounds from the 60s, 90s, and newly created sound effects intermixing constantly, and it becomes a cacophony of nostalgia and misery.