Were there any "new to you" episodes? Explanation inside...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by spunXtain, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

BBC America had TNG reruns in heavy rotation for years, but they didn't go S1-S7, in order a lot of the time. They jumped around a lot, so even with that it's possible to have missed an episode.

Now DS9 or Voyager? Those haven't gotten a lot of rerun time as far as I know. Spike had DS9 for a short time in the mid-2000's(?), but not several episodes a day like BBCA & TNG.

2. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

BBC America runs quite a bit of Voyager now.

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's cool. I dumped DISH about a year and a half ago and ended up doing a rewatch of all ST outside of TNG on Hulu.

4. dstyer

dstyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TNG was on while I was in college. The sci-fi group I was a part of got together to watch every Saturday after the meeting, new episode or not.
    The closest I can think of was when we had the final run of new episodes. I tried very hard to not see anything about "Firstborn" prior to the episode airing. Easier done in 1994 than today!

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I missed "Yesterday's Enterprise" when it first aired and didn't catch it for a very long time. To make matters worse I was aware of its existence. I think I even saw the teaser but somehow missed the episode itself (possibly rescheduled during first run?).

Otherwise, I've seen all of TOS and TNG and DS9, and most if not all of VOY. I deliberately chose not to watch certain episodes of ENT because I heard they were bad and was in a position where I could read reviews before watching them.

6. MAGolding

MAGolding Commander Red Shirt

I missed "The Best of Both Worlds"Part 2" because I was out to dinner with my grandmother when it aired. Actually we got back to her house in time for me to see the last scene. I had told my nephew to tape it while I was gone but he didn't do it. So I had to wait for it to be rerun to see it.

I missed most of the second episode of Lost in Space and it wasn't rerun the following summer and I never saw it for years until it was in syndication.

7. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Lieutenant Red Shirt

I actually just watched an episode the other day that I had never seen before (and I pride myself on how much TNG I've seen). It was called "Liasons". It was really weird seeing my favorite characters saying lines I'd never heard them say before. It felt like a lost episode of TNG (and to me, it was)!

8. DonIago

I'd say only 1-2/3 of that episode was worth finding. :p

9. Farscape One

Farscape One Captain Captain

The problem with BBC America and otger stations when airing the episodes is that several minutes are edited out due to the amount of commercial time in a typical hour is now... around 42 minutes of an episode. TNG episodes would be 44:40 - 45:00 minutes long... VGR was the same until season 6, which started to go down to 43 minutes or so, then to 42:30 minutes in season 7.

TOS episodes are about 49 - 50 minutes long, so you can imagine how much is edited out when they air those episodes.

Heroes & Icons is the only station I have encountered where they air the FULL episode of all shows... they just add an extra break or two, but the episode minute total is correct.

So if you are watching on those other networks, you really haven't seen the episode, as far as I'm concerned. Barring dvds, of course.

10. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Lieutenant Red Shirt

I dunno, seeing Worf kick the crap out of that obnoxious ambassador was worth it to me! LOL

11. DonIago

That was part of the 1-2/3. :p