Welcome new Voyager fans!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Caprica_Six, Apr 16, 2005.

1. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

Welcom, Cadet. At ease! :)

2. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

Welcome, Flat Jeff. :)

3. B_L_T

B_L_T Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello, I am new too:beer:

4. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Welcome to you both. Enjoy the board.

5. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Hello to new and new too. :D

6. B_L_T

B_L_T Lieutenant Red Shirt

I realy like your picture of Janeway. She has a very funny face:lol:

7. Shintaek

Shintaek Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just want to introduce myself as this would be my most visited forum.

I grew up with Voyager, watching it weekly during the late 90's until (for some reason) I lost interest with my last memory being the previews for Relativity. I became a huge fan of Star Trek overall after getting reaqquainted with Voyager and DS9 on Spike when nothing else was on in late April 2008. :techman:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  8. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

Nice to have you here, Shintaek. :)

9. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Welcome Shintaek. :)

10. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

My first post here. Great to find a community interested in the same things as I am. God knows my wife is sick of playing that role.

Anywho, I am a 23 year old male from Wisconsin. I am married. I like watching any sport really as well as anything star trek related. Voyager happens to be my favorite; but I've seen every episode of every series anyways.

My favorite part of Star Trek is the novel side stories. The continuation of Voyager for instance is fantastic and I cannot wait for Voyager: Full Circle to be released in 09.

11. Akiraprise

Welcome to the board. :techman:
    Star Trek and sports 'eh? Married too? That'll show those jerks who claim all nerds are single, hate sports, and live in their parent's basement. :lol:

12. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

Yah. I get that quite a bit now but it was different before. Where I grew up, we had a schedule to it all. Both my neighbors parents liked Star Trek as well as my Father. We also all belonged to the same church. So, every Wednesday night, we went to Church, and then rotated who's house hosted Voyager for the night. The neighbors had kids in my grade in school so it all worked out well.

In the end, all 3 of us were scholar athletes, went onto college, and 2 of the 3 of us are married. And yes, we all enjoy Star Trek and we still get together as much as we can to enjoy the 'good ol days'.

13. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Go Packers! :)

... and welcome!

14. Akiraprise

Sounds pretty cool. :techman:
    Enjoy the board.

15. ria 75

ria 75 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My garden, on the other side of the frog pond
    Hello, I'm new, and I am a forum virgin.:wtf:
    This Voyager space was the incentive to make me try. Indeed Voyager is my favourite Star Trek and one of my favourite sci fi shows in general. (Off the top of my head, I would name Farscape as co-favourite although I'm not sure I see myself going online about it. It doesn't compare to the Star Trek network, its scale.)
    There aren't many of us in France so it's nice to be here. Though inexperienced, I have opinions and the guts to post them. It's also good to be able to discuss the series after the fact, being in a country where it was aired only the past few years.
    I can't wait to get into the current debates... :drool:

16. Akiraprise

Welcome to the board. :)

17. foxmulder710

foxmulder710 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello all!

I'm not technically a "new" Voyager fan. In fact, next to reruns of TOS and TNG I caught variously on FOX and UPN, Voyager was the only show I watched religiously, catching pretty much every episode on its original airdate...

It's the only show whose finale I meticulously taped so that there wouldn't be commercials upon reviewing the VHS...oh, those were the days...the silly silly analog days...

In any case, it's good to be here!

P.S. Don't think my handle means I like X-Files more than VGR necessarily. Just Fox himself. :p

18. foxmulder710

Bonjour, Ria!

I'm actually teaching myself Francois just now, and I'm curious...do you watch VGR in English or French? And if the latter, is it terribly different in the latter language?

19. ria 75

ria 75 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My garden, on the other side of the frog pond
    How pleasant was my surprise when, meaning to greet you as the latest newcomer before you, I found you were addressing me as well!

To answer your question, today we French are fortunate enough to have original English, subtitled versions of Voyager and Enterprise on the soon-to-be 3-year-old French SciFi channel. Same with Farscape and BSG. Oh, and The Original Series too but that got less reruns.
    Being a translator/subtitler myself, I even had a chance to edit the subtitles of a few Voyager episodes. I got to correct a few mistakes.
    Previously, I saw some TNG and DS9 in French dubbing on another cable channel, and I'm afraid that sounds very dull. Not to mention the usual careless translations of technobabble in all science fiction. I'll always remember when I first saw Star Wars (ep IV) in English and discovered that what Luke called "laso-conveyor pumps" or something in French actually were mere "power converters". :guffaw:
    When I'm watching science fiction on cable with optional French subtitles, I often get rid of them because they just anger me. I think that the bad dubbings are one of the main reasons science fiction has been a minor genre in France, and Star Trek, generally a laughing matter. :rolleyes: But in the movies, we're getting to be good at horror and we're beginning to produce or direct good enough, big-budget science fiction this past decade or so.(5th element, Alien 4...) Not that we ever produced much small-budget science fiction beyond François Truffaut's Farenheit 451.

So welcome FoxMulder710, I don't know how much forum experience you have but even though I haven't read much of you yet, by number of posts I see you're even less shy than I was in the beginning. It felt nice to get 2 promotions in 10 days. (That aspect of the forum is fun. I see you're getting yours in less time than you can get used to any rank, writer extraordinaire. 47 posts in less than 2 days? I's gotta be a record.)
    You probably won't miss the "Caption This" stuff like I did for 8 days before I thought of checking it out, because I couldn't understand what it meant. :confused: :lol: It also took me a while to realize there were more than one page of threads... or that I could check out people's profiles by clicking on their name. I didn't put much biography in mine. I guess I'll edit it one of these days.

P.S. Do you know Tim Buckley's Song To The Siren that goes,
    "Were you hare when I was fox" ?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  20. foxmulder710

ria, I'm glad you enjoyed my greeting.

Also, I must compliment your English. If I were French writing in English, I'm sure I'd have a much tougher time. Je comprends petit mot en Francois...(I'm sure my grammar just now probably sucked, non?)...

Don't worry about questions of shyness or sociability. I'm generally shy, myself, preferring books and TV and ideas and thought...but people can be really interesting, too, on occasion; hence my being here.

I've never heard the song, alas; I may look it up. :)

"Writer extraordinare"? Why thank you. Probably comes from me journaling intensely for the past several years...I'm just used to reading/writing a lot per day.

Happy premienne jour de la semaine!