Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

You'll fit right in. :)

2. Pax78

Pax78 Cadet Newbie

Hi guys! I just got into Star Trek last December and I really like it. So far I've seen TOS, Movies 1-7, TNG, and the reboot movies. I just started DS9 so I cannot judge it yet. TNG is really what cemented my interest for Star Trek due to its amazing story and characters.

Dr Brahms and Kilana2 like this.
  3. Romdoll

Romdoll Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you for the warm welcome. Star Trek is one of my all time favorite shows, and the reason that I became a Science Fiction Fan. I like that Star Trek deals with Earth and Humanity, going out into space seeking new friends and making alliances that created the United Federation of Planets. Unlike some other Science Fiction/Space Opera shows set in other universes that are not a part of Earth, Star Trek is our fictional journey and a bright hope of how we will evolve.

4. Aabh

Aabh Ensign Newbie

Hello all! I'm a VERY long time fan of Star Trek (Since 1975-ish). Part of The Grizzled Old Guard of Trek. I had cardboard phasers and communicators that were made from photocopying the Franz Joseph Tech Manual in the 80s (I got beat up for that... :D) ; Went to my first Star Trek convention in 1984... um... lessee... I'm 2 days younger than Wil Wheaton, so I hated him all that much more because it should have been *ME* on that bridge, I tell you! ME! (WHEATOOOONNNNN!!!!!) I ate a lot of Cheerios during 1987 so I could collect all the stickers of the new starship and crew... I hated TNG because it wasn't TOS, then I hated DS9 because it wasn't TNG, then Voyager because it wasn't DS9, then Enterprise because it was any of the above... now I love each and every one of them (Including Weaton :D)... And yes, I even like the JJ trek (Though I admit Into Darkness did rub me the wrong way, but what can ya do?). I'm getting better with each iteration...I think I'm growing! :D

I love Star Trek so much, I've spent the last 10 years writing a Star Trek fan webcomic called "Tamerlane" which is about a TOS-era destroyer (also from the FJ Tech manual... my tech manual is VERY loved...), and her captain, Julienne Cochrane. Um... what else? Um... I wear a Next Gen hoodie all the time and collect 1/2500 scale starships (So I play ST: Attack Wing and Star Fleet Battles)! :D

Er... I'm running out of things to say about me... Anyway, I'm glad to be here. I registered in `09 then I had a kid, so I sort of dropped my fandom to a dull roar. He's old enough now that he is going to school every day, so I'm back on the interwebs (And continuing Tamerlane)!

Anyway, thanks for reading my long-winded post and thanks for having me here! :)

---Aabh (G.S.Davis)

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Sounds like we're close to the same age.

Welcome aboard!

6. Aabh

Aabh Ensign Newbie

Probably! :D Us good ol' second generation Trekkies, not old enough to remember TOS FIRST run, but old enough to remember the drought of the 70s and 80s... Though Knight Rider was pretty cool... at the time (It certainly doesn't hold up today... :( )

bbjeg likes this.
  7. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Hello, All!

I am an Old Fossil who watched Star Trek as it originally ran. It literally changed my life (Fanwankia!) and I have been an avid fan ever since. This BBS is an excellent place to share and learn - as I am sure you all have realized by now - and a nice place to "be". I have high hopes for Beyond, and great anticipation for the new series.

50 Years, my Friends!...I wonder if the "...Voyages of the Star Ship Enterprise..." will get to 100!?

"Live Long, and Prosper"
    "Peace, and Long Life"
    "Resistance is Futile"
    "Perhaps Today is a Good Day to Die"

Just a few of the adages in Star Trek that end up being words that actually Speak to us...Star Trek is deeply ingrained in our culture and vernacular. The reach of Star Trek is clearly evident in Dramas, Comedies, Music, Newscasts, Politics, Science, Research, Philosophy, Doctoral work in many fields...so many areas and places.

This thing we love.

trekyourself and 2takesfrakes like this.
  8. trekyourself

trekyourself Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey, glad to be joining. I'm a huge fan of star trek, it's become somewhat of an obsession for me. Unlike most, I really got into nerd culture later in life. I've always had my bed streak, some video games etc, but never really got into science fiction in a big way until I was in my mid 20s. I used to enjoy star wars, but had never seen star trek. That is until my ex introduced me to the original series. I was only even willing to watch that because I'd heard of shatners shall we say, different, style of acting. In fact, when I first started watching it, I can remember telling a friend I felt as though I was "cheating on Yoda. " For a few years I'd watch the original series a fair bit, but never felt the need to look any further. I drank alot back then, and partied really hard. When I hit a certain age, an age that I now feel was far too high, I hate to quit drinking completely for awhile, and start taking life seriously. When things started getting hard, I'd have star trek to hide myself from the world with. I needed a replacement for the cigarettes and alcohol I used to battle my depression with, and amongst other positives, star trek was always there. I ended up expanding upon my love of TOS and devouring every episode of the rest of the shows and movies. It's always something to smile about and lean on. And I have to say, although sometimes a little tough on the newly initiated, I've been blown away to just how wonderful the trek community is. There is always something new to learn, a discussion to be had, and something to discover. I wish I discovered it all earlier, but have since them made up for lost time. Long story short, thank you for having me.

(And for letting me ramble)

-trekyourself

9. trekyourself

trekyourself Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sigh... nerd streak. Not "bed" streak..

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Welcome to that which is the holy grail of trek fandom.

Kor and trekyourself like this.
  11. The Old Mixer

Welcome, @trekyourself .

@bbjeg , by "holy grail of trek fandom," do you mean this place? That's laying it on a bit thick! :p

trekyourself likes this.
  12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Well, I was sleep deprived.

The Old Mixer likes this.
  13. Vorpal_Blade

Vorpal_Blade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have been a Star Trek fan since I was a child. I am a big fan of TOS as well as TNG. I have never really watched DS9 and Voyager and Enterprise that much but thanks to HULU I am giving them a viewing.

14. Dr Brahms

Dr Brahms Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi There everyone I'm a complete newbie to this fan site and what a relief to find this kind of tread as I've been unsure how to get started. I'm a lifelong Trek fan and love all things Trek related but if I had to pick a fave series it would be TOS.

Kilana2 likes this.
  15. logicalwhat?

logicalwhat? Cadet Newbie

16. logicalwhat?

logicalwhat? Cadet Newbie

in season one episode 20 of 'star trek enterprise' , episode name is "Oasis". he played as a survivor from a crashed ship on a planet.

17. The Old Mixer

^Welcome, I trust that your Quote Fu will develop in time. ;)

bbjeg likes this.
  18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Welcome cadets. Pants are optional.

19. Karp666

Karp666 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello, been lurking here for a while before I decided to register. I've first discovered Star Trek as a five-or-something-year old while watching TNG on German television, I understood nothing of course. Than we had DS9 and VOY played on Polish television when I was a teenager; years later I have finally decided to watch everything. I am currently watching TNG, DS9 and VOY simultaneously, depending on the mood :) Also I'm impatiently waiting for the new series, hoping it's settled in the prime universe.

20. MRVR900

MRVR900 Ensign Newbie

glad i found this site so much info and so many threads to read thru wow anyways hello all hope to be around for a while good to be here