Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello to the recent red shirts. Hope you're all settling in here :)

2. VST

VST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've already said hello in the 'Misc' thread, but thought I'd do a bigger spiel here.

I'm Tony. Been a Trek fan since the late 80's, when I watched The Search for Spock & fell in love with the franchise as a 6 year old. Oddly enough though, it's only *now* I'm blitz watching TOS due to the joys of Netflix, so I'll soon have seen everything Trek produced & it's no less wonderful whenever I watch. It's not my favourite show, but it's certainly my favourite franchise.

Beyond Trek, I'm a writer--primarily script based, with dabbles into prose--and one day I do hope to earn from it. We'll see. Also a fan of football (soccer), massive movie guy & into other stuff like podcasting & bits of technology.

I'm hoping to finally get into BBS as a member. I've always lurked over the years from time to time but thought I'd really take the plunge. We are approaching 50 years, after all…

Thanks & see you around!

3. Captain Shade

Captain Shade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

We're glad you finally decided to join the rest of us. Welcome to the BBS, Tony!

4. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

5. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

"Search For Spock" was my (rge)initiation also. It was a perfect hangover cure in college, I would throw the VHS on every time I couldn't get out of bed and only reach as far as the VCR.

6. VST

VST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You can let it wash over you I guess can't you? I may try that then next time I'm hanging from the booze! :D

7. Stadi

Stadi Ensign Newbie

Hi Trek people!

New to the forums. Been a fan of Trek since I was a kid back in the early Nineties, sitting on the couch next to my dad watching new episodes of TNG, and seeing The Undiscovered Country in the theater.

Nowadays, I still love the franchise. I've been showing my partner DS9 for the very first time, and I've been finally reading through some of the Trek novels (just finished Homecoming, reading The Farther Shore now).

I've also been delving into some of the Trek fanfilm scene. I really love the fact that a lot of the major productions have included LGBT characters; as a queer Trekkie myself, it's nice to finally see some people I identify with a bit better.

Hope to see more of you all soon. :bolian:

8. Captain Shade

Welcome to the forums, Stadi. As a straight, but not narrow Trekkie, it's glad to have you with us!

9. 8990

8990 Cadet Newbie

Username= 8990
    Gender= Male.
    Nationality= English.
    Personality= A combination of the .E.M.H. and Luscly.
    Favourite .T.V. series= .D.S.9..
    Favourite book series= .D.T.I. and Vanguard.
    Favourite Star Trek reviewer= .S.F.Debris.
    Hates= Janeway and Enterprise, (except for the .T.C.W.).
    Current projects= Temporal Cold War database, (help appreciated) and .D.T.I. fanfiction concept, "Delgardo's Legacy", (http://chroniton8990.deviantart.com/art/Fake-Star-Trek-D-T-I-novel-cover-455858458).

Not sure about the Destiny trilogy, (giving the Borg an origin story, though at least it's not the V'Ger one) and the Greg Cox Khan trilogy.

10. Captain Shade

Welcome aboard, 8990!

11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, right, an introductions thread. I should post in this (after several posts...)

Username= fireproof78
    Gender= Male.
    Nationality= American
    Personality= A bit of Spock, Sulu with the Doctor's heavy dose of sarcasm
    Favourite .T.V. series= Either TOS or DS9-it will depend on the day (or my mood)
    Favourite book series= Section 31
    Favourite Star Trek reviewer= Chuck from SF Debris.
    Hates= Voyager, Enterprise (bits and pieces), 1st season of TNG.

Filling the gaps:

I have liked Trek since I read my dad's Star Trek Concordance by Bjo Trimble, and wondered why his action figures came with little blue soap squares (they were communicators). Since then, I have watched all of the movies, liked some, didn't like others, but found them all interesting. I enjoyed most of the TV series, but never warmed up to Voyager and Enterprise, but have recently been revisiting DS9.

I enjoy good discussion and debate, with respect to others, regarding all topics Star Trek. I am a firm supporter of Abrams Trek as being worthy of the Star Trek name, and you can see many of my posts in that regard in the appropriate forum.

In any case, I love talking and chatting so feel free to say hi :)

12. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My name's Jeff. I'm 42. I'm a bit of a late bloomer to Trek. I grew up watching an episode here and episode there of the various series either as they came out or repeats. The movies: a few I saw in theater, a few I saw on VCR/DVD a few I didn't see at all until a few years ago. Finally, about ten years ago, having never given Trek an honest chance, I committed myself to giving Trek a serious try. I watched all of TOS. The rest is history. I've seen every episode of every series and every movie at least once (even TAS). I'm hooked. I like all of it and love a lot of it. DS9 is my favorite series. Even the weakest episode or movie brings something to table. I haven't gotten into the books, fanficts or really any aspect of ST outside the movies and tv series and I've never been to a convention. Maybe someday. Looking forward to sharing insights and ideas w my fellow trek enthusiasts.

13. Captain Shade

Good to have you both with us, fireproof78 and JeffinOakland! Hope you enjoy your stay.

14. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

What's a 'VCR'?

15. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A tapedeck for movies

16. fireproof78

It's like a DVD but box shaped and could only be viewed linearly.

However, you can now get VHS tapes for the VCR for less than a dollar.

17. IreneAdler

IreneAdler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi all!

Username: IreneAdler (known some places as ThatGeekChick)
    Nationality: American
    Personality: Imagine Irene Adler from BBC's Sherlock with a dash of Kira for good measure.
    Favourite TV series: DS9
    Favourite book series: The Fall series
    Favourite Star Trek reviewer: I don't have one. Should I?!
    Hates: The Motion Picture
    Current projects= I do a ton of Trek-related photoshops. I have an independent series that I've begun called USS Impetuous, and I write for a wonderful Trek forum called USS Talon.

18. Captain Shade

Howdy, Irene! Welcome to the forums. I'd rather imaging Nyssa of Traken...But that's just me.

19. Last Redshirt

Last Redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Welcome to the forums!

20. fireproof78

Welcome.

And yes, yes you should have a favorite reviewer. How could you not? ;)